Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Gee, Another Marabomb story

Well it happened to us also. Blew the right rear tire on the way to San Diego Thursday. I had checked the tire pressures before heading out and this particular tire was about four pounds low while the rest were ok. I brought it up to 80 lbs also before we left. I had only been on the road about 30 minutes when we heard some strange noises and I saw the rubber flying around in the mirror. They were doing construction on the freeway near March ARB so I had to crawl about half mile to clear the K-rails so I could pull over. I called AAA (Who got there in about ten minutes. What a pleasant surprise).

We suffered damage to the metal flashing and the fiberglass matting. Fortunatly I had some tin snips in my tool box and was able to bend and cut enough of the metal away so we could mount the spare.

So tire shopping I go to buy 5 new tires!

I'm going to see how much it's going to cost to have the damage repaired before I call the insurance company.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Save the tire and call Goodyear national customer service. They should cover the damages. It's a regular story, not only with Montana's, but the other heavy rigs many of whom also come with Marathons.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
Unfortunate to say the least. But, fortunate you're ok. Wish Keystone and SOB's would see the light that these tires have more than their share of failures on heavier rigs. I don't see how they can't be aware of it.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
They are fully aware of it. Blown tires have even been brought to the Rally and tires are a major topic every year. That's why Keystone offers the 614's as an option. Price is an issue for rig buyers, however and the money spent on better tires can't be put into something neat inside where folks are looking when they make the buying decision. Since Keystone dealers also sell competing rigs price does matter to them. Also, remember, most rigs are ordered by the dealer. When you go to a dealer look how many have all the extras on the inside and still have Marathons underneath. If buyers were knowledgable and walked away from rigs with Marathons more dealers would be ordering them. Unfortunately I was like everyone else and acquired that knowledge after I acquired the rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
We are in myrtle beach sc with a bad marathon now..gonna get 4 new Firestone transforce tomorrow on the Monty...another guy in the park got here with 2 marathons going bad as well....the treads are separating and the tires look rounded.....just glad me got here ok...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
It would seem to me that dealers would order the rigs with the upgraded tires on it and use it as a selling point.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
How fast were you going? My Dealer said NO MORE THEN 65 MPH. Might not be the answer for all tire problems but a start. Good Luck.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
I was going 60 Mph. Due to being aware of people having issues with these tires, I have been very careful with them.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
Well we are the other rig from Myrtle Beach, S. Carolina with the two bad Maraton tires. Called Goodyear and got a case number then made an appointment at Black Tire in N. Myrtle Beach for 5 new G614 RST's. They couldn't have been nicer to us. The two tires were bad and he called Goodyear to let them know the results. Original price was to be approx. $1,800 and Goodyear only wanted to give us 100% off only the two bad tires. We bought this Monty in December and only had 10,000 miles on the tires. After my husband called them back and had a few choice words to say they agreed to 100% off the bad two tires and 50% off the other three tires for customer satisfaction. Don't give up we ended up paying $1,100 for all 5 tires. What a GREAT feeling to get those time bombs off our rig for our trip home to FLorida. Good luck Terry & Claudia
TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
After one flat with the Marathon bombs and barely into our 6,000 mile trip I decided to dump the Marathons and buy 5 new Michelin for our trailer. We don't have the weight that some of you have with this 3000RK, but I was very disappointed in the Marathons. Didn't do any damage luckly, but wasn't going to chance it again with another blowout. Marathons are a horrible tire for ANY Montana!
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I have not posted on a Marabomb thread for a while as many were complaining of the high number of posts on the subject. But in the interest of safety and not wanting to see a fellow MOC member stranded on the highway with chunks of their trailer scattered all down the road: IT'S NOT A MATTER OF IF, BUT WHEN THE MARABOMBS GO BOOM!!!!!!
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote