Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Johnsonw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9830
Stand Alone 2nd A/C Unit vs. Zoned

We are installing a 2nd A/C unit in our 2955RL. I have the option of installing a non-ducted unit, which will operate off the controls that are mounted on the unit, or a non-ducted unit, which will operate off the existing Comfort Control Center. To do the second option, I will just need to run a 4 wire line from the 2nd unit to the 1st unit, which I can snake through the existing ductwork, and run a remote tempature sensor to my interior wall. The second option will allow me to run each A/C unit independantly with seperate settings. I like the idea of having a digital tempature control vs. a dial that reads colder/warmer. Is there any down side to the second option that I am overlooking?

Thanks
Walt
(908) 240-9947 for those that don't like to type

Johnsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My second unit serves as a back up to the main for the most part. We do use it in very hot weather. In the past, I have had the thermostat go out in hot weather. We were able to keep reasonably cool with the second unit until I could get it repaired. I don't think that option would be available with one control. Got to weigh your options and make a choice.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When we had the bedroom AC installed we figured it would be the backup. However, it has become the primary simply because it is so much quieter in the living room with the rear AC turned off. If our front AC could have been zoned/ducted we sure would have gone that route. However, on our early 2007 model that's not an option although someone qualified to do the work could probably figure out how to connect to the ducts and the thermostat. On the other hand, the un-ducted front AC provides white noise when needed, when on AC or fan only.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I ordered my unit with one A/C. I intended to add a low profile unit at the dealer because Keystone installs the tall boy A/C up front. My dealer installed the stand alone free blowing ceiling assembly in the bedroom. I quickly found out that the bedroom A/C would cool down the bedroom very quickly. Too quickly actually even on low. In extremely hot weather all I could keep cool enough was the bedroom. The 15,000 ducted rear unit couldn't keep the living area cool enough at the beach. I returned to the dealer and had them switch the ceiling assembly in the bedroom to a ducted unit. Wow what a difference! Now both A/Cs blow through the ducts and the cool air from the front unit isn't all trapped in the bedroom, so now it doesn't short cycle and the camper is cool even in very hot weather. I've read posts about non ducted front units' air "falling down into the living area", but take it from someone who's tried it both ways. There is no comparison. Spend the extra money and go ducted. You can still use your bedroom A/C for white noise and in fan only mode too.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote