Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Fresh Water Tank Sensors

We have a new 3150RL, and we went out yesterday for a day of golf and try out the Monty with a day of camping. After golf we planned on staying the night at a campground with no services. I thought I put in 1/3 tank of fresh water (approx 22 gallons), because as I filled the water the 1/3 sensor light came on. We had water yesterday after golf and we had water last night before bed. Woke up this morning, and we didn't have enough water to fill a sink, so I assume that we did not have 1/3 tank of fresh water. We did not use water excessively the day before.

Does anyone else have inaccurate freshwater sensor readings?

Regards,

David

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
dont ever rely on any of those gages on any moterhome or rv's they are mostly junk
Old 04-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
The better question would be does anybody have accurate readings?
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
The only sensor that does work in ours is the fresh drinking water tank although I won't swear about accuracy (maybe I will).
I think that the actual level can be greatly affected if the trailer is not level. If the trailer end that the sensors were at were on the low side the sensor could have triggered far too soon. You may not have put in as much as you think.

clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

I have a trick that I use to get a fairly accurate estimate of how much water I am putting in the fresh holding tank.

This only works when using the filler neck at the back end of the trailer, not when using the "power fill" in the convenience center, though.

I turn on the faucet and time how long it takes to fill up a 5-gallon bucket. Let's say it takes 30 seconds to fill the bucket. If I want to add 15 gallons, I stick the hose in the filler and let it run for a 90 seconds. If I want 30 gallons, I let it fill for 3 minutes.

With a watch and a little math, you can be pretty sure how much you are adding to the tank, way more so than going by the tank sensors.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The Fresh Water gauge and the Battery gauge are usually dependable. We have never had any trouble with either of those two. The Gray, Black, and Galley tank gauges, however, are another story. I don't think we've ever gotten an accurate reading from them.

A couple of years ago I bought a cheap little inline Water Meter. It tells me how much water I've put in the tank. Before I had that I used the method KTManiac is suggesting. That is also fairly accurate.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I usually fill ours until the 2/3 light comes on but I am convinced it's actually closer to 1/2 tank. I do not know how they determine where to install the sensors but I'd bet on the eyeball approach. And thus every rig is different.

One non-scientific method to check their accuracy might be to fully empty the tank, then turn on the tank filler and time it until the water exits the tank at the overflow behind the cover on the side of the rig. While doing this, note the timings of when the 1/3, 2/3, and Full lights come on.

By the way, maybe you already know this but if you are going to completely or nearly completely fill the tank you should always remove the cover over the manual fill inlet behind that cover. The small overflow hole does not let the air escape as quickly as water comes into the tank. The resulting pressure buildup can rupture the tank. Just ask one of our members who had that happen to his rig at one of our Fall rallies a few years ago. I always remove that cap even when filling just to 2/3, just in case.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote