Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2004, 11:00 AM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Plugs???-Generators

I dont' know what they are called, but is there a shorter plug that I can purchase to go from the RV (3400RL) to my generator??? Also, there are different plugs on my generator, which my husband says they are different AMPS. Obviously I would prefer to plug the unit into the larger AMP for the air.

I looked on sites for camping equipment but came up with nothing.

Any addresses for sites would be appreicated.

Thanks

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:08 AM   #2
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Camping world will sell you a 50 to 30 amp adapter. Home Depot or Lowes will sell you the parts to build a generator to 30 amp cable. It's the 30 amp RV to 50 amp that is $$$ and hard to find.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:55 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Go to http://www.southwestfastener.com and click on just about any of the generator listings. Mixed in with the generators is a 30 amp twist lock to 30 amp rv adapter. It's $18.95, a little pricey but it all depends on how much the twist lock plug costs, I know CW has the female pigtail that a plug can be put onto for $3.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:14 AM   #4
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

Go to http://www.southwestfastener.com and click on just about any of the generator listings. Mixed in with the generators is a 30 amp twist lock to 30 amp rv adapter. It's $18.95, a little pricey but it all depends on how much the twist lock plug costs, I know CW has the female pigtail that a plug can be put onto for $3.

John
Thanks for all the suggestions. My generator has a 30 AMP locking plug option http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...delName=EB3000.

If any of you men folk can lead me in a path where I can purchase a cord to go from the RV to the 30 AMP I would really appreicate it. The one NJ Hillbilly suggested looks like it is just a plug to the 25 AMP. The 30 AMP I believe is different. If anyone has this generator and has the plug I am looking for PLEASE let me know.

Thanks so much for all your help!!!
Old 06-23-2004, 01:14 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Your generator has a NEMA twist lock, available from Lowes or the Depot, a RV cord has 30amp RV plug and socket, your 5er has a Marinco marine 50 amp sockett.

Adapt the 5er to 30 amp RV with a dog bone, buy a 30 amp 10AWG RV cord from Wally World ($25), cut off the male end and attach the male NEMA plug from Lowes or the Depot.

You didn't say if the generator was a 120 or 240 volt twist lock, so this assumes a 120 volt twist lock. If it's 220 slighl;y different adapters will be required.

Whoops, looked at your link .. it's 120, and even gives you the NEMA part number for the plug..

You won't find a cord already made up to go.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 04:37 AM   #6
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gruffy

You won't find a cord already made up to go.
That's what I was afraid of!!! My husband isn't the handiest and electric I deffinatley would not trust him to try.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 06-23-2004, 09:24 PM   #7
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Hi Sis and welcome home. Glad to hear my Niece did so well, but then I expected she would, she always does. Proud Auntie here!

I know somewhere on this forum or either RV.net there was a link for doing this exact thing you're looking for and I think with the directions being as good as they were and with pictures that the Brother in Law would be able to do it. I will also look for the link and either post it here or send it to you via e-mail.

I also think Rob Cooley did something similar to converting his cord to 30 amp from 50 amp.

We are leaving tomorrow for Bay City but I will be on my cell if you get a chance to chat.

Hugs and Love ya,

Patty/Samantha
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote