Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Are foreign car sales good for the U.S.?

I am not looking to get into a p======g match with anybody over this. I just believe you can never be too imformed and there is some good information here.

http://www.overthehillcarpeople.com/...icles_from.htm

8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I have to admit I'm biased, I worked for a "Big 3" company for 35 years, before the local plant I worked at was sold (to a foreign owned company), and I had the option of transferring, or taking an early retirement (with a buyout, which I did opt for). Today's American Automobile Manufacturers mindset is for maximum profit, buying, and assembling vehicles at the cheapest cost, and maximizing their investor's return. The Asian automobile manufacturers have a different mindset, they seek to maximize market share, and have their governments helping their cause by manipulating their currencies to achieve lower costs, and the American "Free Trade" Policies, allow them to import virtually all of the autos components, and assemble them in the US without penalty, while restricting any imported autos into their economy without duties. What the American public doesn't think about is the "Trickle Down" effect that the losses of good American jobs has on the economy, if the money you spend on a new auto is ultimately being routed to a foreign country it is their standard of living that will sustain,and improve while ours will diminish.

Just My Rant
(Thinking of OUR children with less opportunities)
JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Seems as how free trade just works in one direction doesn't it?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There is a management theory that says, "If you can't make everybody equally happy then make everyons equally unhappy." Seems like this has been applied by social engineers to economics. If you can't make every nation equally rich then make them all equally poor. Of course this doesn't apply to the wealthy elitest.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
Remember, we elected the politicians that helped bring all of this about. These people are free to do business here but we aren't as free to do business there. This didn't happen overnight. But has been gaining great momentum since the 90s. We say we don't like it but do we pressure any politicians to change it? Has this been a true hot topic in the presidential debates? The Chinese don't have to beat us with weapons. Our own greed in shopping at Wal-Mart and other stores which sell Chinese at every opportunity in order to save a few cents here and there has fueled all this. They will defeat us economically. As Pogo said, the enemy is us.
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Very true!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Like I have said... I was not consulted about any of this. I had no input as to where or who builds or manufacturers what I need. I had no vote, nobody asked me.I just know that I need food, Clothing, shoes, auto's , all of the things that sustain us. I would be very happy if all the things I need were built/manufactured in the USA..where things are made has changed..what we need to survive has not...Such is life.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
I think it started long before the nineties, least we forget it was “Tricky Dick” (Nixon) that first went to “China”
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I think history shows we've been going to China during the "SandPebbles" years (fiction of course), however, we do sell cars overseas, mostly in Europe, some in Asia. So that being said, they're all not coming here...USA...but it seems even to me, most are but I don't know that.

Know this. Soon cars will be here in about 2 years from China. Maybe they'll bring me a new microwave from Apollo!!! Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We were out doing some shopping today.. Went into Target.. everything we looked at was made in China or another foreign country. So if we are to Buy American and only frequent stores that sell American where do we go. We can't seem to find a store that sells American. My P.C my printer, our camera, even my shinny new truck has foreign parts ..My shoes, my shorts, ya gads.. lots of stuff in this 3400 is not made in America..For those of you that buy only things made in America..where do you get it. Need some help here?????
Old 12-10-2007, 03:13 AM   #11
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
After WWII we were inundated with "junk" from Japan, now we are inundated with "junk" from China and can no longer find "American Made" things. Honestly the Chinese probably need us more than we need them, American ingenuity could replace anything from China in short order if the American Manufacturers and the shareholders decided to do so, the Chinese however do not use most of the things they manufacture for export, also the Chinese people are beginning to smell the fragrance of Capitalism and more money. Makes you wonder how long the old Commies could hold on to power if for instance we Americans began to boycott anything from China.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:55 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The point I am trying to make is that things have changed as they always do. Things are not the same now as they were 50 years ago and things will not be the same 50 years from now. We must learn to adapt to the changing economic environment.Like it or not we now live in a global economy and as the emerging countries evolve it will be even more global. We must change and adapt or we will not survive. Those are the cold hard facts. I do not know the answers but if we do not adapt there may not be a USA as we know it 50 years from now. By the way we are the United States of AMERICA.. The America's being 2 continents.. North AMERICA and South AMERICA so I assume that when we say buy AMERICAN we mean products from either of the 2 AMERICAN continents..so the grapes we purchased at Publix from Brazil would be OK.. Or when we say...Buy American..do we have any idea what we are talking about. Our Canadian friends do not live in the United States of AMERICA they live in a Foreign country and are therefore foreigners. But..They live in one of the America's so they are AMERICAN as we are..as are folks from Mexico..Different AMERICAN continent but AMERICA ....so what are the rules. Who can we buy from.. Got it..Buy only products made in the USA by folks who live in the USA and boycott any store that sells products that do not meet those guide lines. now..where can We find those stores that will provide all we need and meet the MADE IN USA guidelines. We are in Davenport, Fla..direct us to the nearest store and we will shop only there. " Change must occur by evolution..the alternative is revolution"
Old 12-10-2007, 03:55 AM   #13
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I think it all revolves around the $$$, I always said you dont need to beat a country.. Just buy it up, and they are.
Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:10 AM   #14
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
As I have noted in a previous post on this subject " Me and mine will BUY American".
I am sick and tired of hearing the excuses , read rationalizations, of those who condone their actions with empty rhetoric. Buy what and how you will it is a Free Country. Just remember that you helped sell out your fellow Americans' jobs, families and future for cheap goods made by sub standard laborers at sub standard wages.

This bull about a global economy sounds like NAFTA propaganda for the masses consumption. The Global Economy is flushing American products and labor down the drain. For what? To save you a few dollars or even cents? Shame on you.
God Bless America.
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote