Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Florida Tornados

We have spent an interesting Christmas day with tornado watches and warnings all around us. Fortunately the storm is over and we are fine. To my knowledge there was no damage here in our park, Encore Lake Magic, near Disney. However Volusia County about an hour from us did not fare so well. A tornado touched down in Daytona and in Deland. There were several mobile homes and RV's damaged, along with homes and buildings. Our prayers are with all those in the heavy damage area, not a very good Christmas present. Fortunately there have been no reports of loss of life. Many folks were totally unaware of the warnings due to being involved in their Christmas celebrations. Hope none of our MOC members have had any damage.

Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thanks to a very alert neighbor we got everything buttoned down long before the storms actually arrived. We were awakened at 5:45AM by a knocking just outside the bedroom window. I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter. Away to the window I flew like a flash, Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash. OK So I'm embelishing a bit. Anyway it was my neighbor and he informed us a severe storm watch with winds gusting to 60MPH was posted for Pinellas County. Needless to say we were outside in a flash. Tore everything from the awning and rolled it up in a dash. There I go again. Anyway within a half hour we had notified and assisted 2 other RVs and had all our stuff secured. We never did get the really severe windows but I would estimate 30 to 35 MPH gusts. However it did pour, probably got 2 to 3 inchs in just a couple hours.
Storm is long gone and at the moment we are cloudy with little wind a all. Temperature around 72°
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We just got back after spending Christmas at friends at the Thousand Trail Orlando Park. We put up the awning and put everything away before we left this morning. Outside of a LOT of rain, the only thing that happened here were power serges. Both of our computers had powered off. We are in Sumter County about 45 miles NW of Joyce.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am happy to hear that you all are fine and that these storms did not amount to much in terms of damage.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:56 PM   #5
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Hi All,
We like Glenn batten down the hatches here in Salt Springs ( Marion County Ocala area). We had a little rain but no wind to speak of. ( actually 4 inches HA HA).
We did have one very bright lightning flash and thunder boom but that was about it. We were in Deland on Sunday in the area of the damage. We know the area well as it it is not too far from where we use dto live. We will be going down tomorrow to our daughters house to feed their pets and check out the damage area. Kids live a bit south of the area that had the damage but no reports of damage there. We do watch the weather channel and other reporting services during these times. Florida is getting weird. I have lived here all my life and can not recollect these types of storms when I was growing up here. There is another round of these types of storms forecasted for next weekend ( New Years) so we will be on our toes again. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

P.S. Glenn watch your shash!!!!

wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:03 AM   #6
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Wow - we saw a lot of the damage in that area on the news last night - so grateful that all of you in that area got bypassed by the worst of it - stay safe!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:47 AM   #7
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Reading this thread in Key West. Was nasty yesterday with rain and wind and lightning and thunder which one of our dogs just hates. Not bad today and then about ten minutes ago a wind came up that must be gusting to 60-70mph. Could hardly get the door shut---was afraid that it would blow away. At least everything was still put away from yesterday. A cool 73 outside.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
According to Weather guessers, more of the same is forecast for this weekend, starting on Sunday. Heads up Florida
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:20 AM   #9
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
Forturnately I wasn't camping Christmas weekend, but will be at Rockcrusher on New Years weekend. After the storms in Orlando several years ago, I always hook up an emergency radio as part of my setup prcedures. I would suggest that everyone do this, it could save a lot of damage to your rig.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
We decided to take the Monty to Deland KOA over Christmas to visit our son in Deltona. When the news came on and said Deland had been hit we rushed immediately back to the KOA to see about Cocoa, our dog. It was close but it missed the KOA. We were very thankfull.

When we got back here to Spring Hill we found out that we also missed the tornados in Pasco county which is just south of us.

Someone was watching over us. Thank you Lord.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Tom & Betty,
So glad you found Cocoa and your unit were okay. Sure made for an interesting Christmas day.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #12
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Thanks Tom and Joyce. We still had a good time in spite of the weather.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #13
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Happy to hear that no Montana owners were injured during the recent storms. I was worried about the campers out there!
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote