Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #41
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Same size as receiver
Thats what I thought ,then its 1*3/4" X 1*3/4" tubing on the entire receiver . I can imagine the twist you are going to get out of that with the weight hanging off of it, plus whatever play you have in the receiver itself between the two.

I understand the flex in steel ,but obviously it depends on the span ,and the weight creating that flex. You put enough weight on it, sure its going to flex.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #42
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
Thanks for All the Hitch Help Everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
It is definitely a good idea to connect the hanger brackets together especially the center one. Personally I wouldn't use the X Factor just simply because of cost. If you weld or know somebody else who does just acquire some steel tube somewhere and welded peace between all three hangers.

I personally didn't have too much trouble with a hanger brackets but Springs and wet bolts were definitely a problem. Broken bolts missing bolts worn out bronze bushings I had had enough. With the is I just get in and drive now don't even bother looking under there anymore.

Hello Beeje & ALL!

I am going to locate a good hitch with a 500lb tongue weight. The gentleman camped two spaces away has a FACTORY INSTALLED rear hitch. His Montana is very similar. He also put clamps on the hitch/receiver to stop the slop and flex just like someone here posted pictures.

I will close out this thread for my own needs and encourage others to continue the discussion. You all are terrific for the help provided me.
Gratefully,
HawKeye
HawkeyeDoesFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #43
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I sold my 2008 3400RL this past spring, bought new. I wouldn't of had any problem as my friend putting on a receiver hitch, and pulling a 12' ATV trailer with a ATV on it with his 2010 Montana fifth wheel, can't imagine our frames are any different then his . There is no use putting on a 14,000 lb rated receiver ,can't tow that much or the tongue weight associated with it.

My present fifth wheel has the same frame as the old Montana, the receiver on it is rated for 5,000 lbs towing ,and 500 lbs. tongue weight. 500 lbs is quite of bit weight, not sure what you want to put back there, but would it be more then the 500 ???
Hello PSFORD99 & ALL!

I am going to locate a good hitch with a 500lb tongue weight. The gentleman camped two spaces away has a FACTORY INSTALLED rear hitch. His Montana is very similar. He also put clamps on the hitch/receiver to stop the slop and flex just like your example/posted pictures.

I will close out this thread for my own needs and encourage others to continue the discussion. You all are terrific for the help provided me.
Gratefully,
HawKeye
Old 10-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #44
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
Hello SlowHand!

I am going to locate a good hitch with a 500lb tongue weight. The gentleman camped two spaces away has a FACTORY INSTALLED rear hitch. His Montana is very similar. He also put clamps on the hitch/receiver to stop the slop and flex just like someone here posted pictures.

Gratefully,
HawKeye
Old 10-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #45
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeDoesFly View Post
Hello Beeje & ALL!

Gratefully,
HawKeye
The aftermarket hitch I have is made by " Steel Products MFG." 800-572-7508 or 801-972-3322 . Its has 500 tongue weight ,5000 tow capacity
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #46
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
Hello DRJJJ & ALL!

I am going to locate a good hitch with a 500lb tongue weight. The gentleman camped two spaces away has a FACTORY INSTALLED rear hitch. His Montana is very similar. He also put clamps on the hitch/receiver to stop the slop and flex just like PSFORD99 posted pictures.

If the factory put one on, then it should be OK to mount an after-factory hitch. Not a 14,000 lbs hitch. I totally agree. X-Cross members or Gussetts sound like a good idea.

Gratefully,
HawKeye
Old 10-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #47
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
The aftermarket hitch I have is made by " Steel Products MFG." 800-572-7508 or 801-972-3322 . Its has 500 tongue weight ,5000 tow capacity

Many thanks for providing me the part numbers and name! Will do.