Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2020, 08:43 PM   #1
sunshine 1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22947
6 Years Extended Warranty Service Contract

I am looking into an Extended Warranty. I talked with someone from Wholesale Warranties they gave me a price of about $3000 for 6 years of exclusionary coverage with a $200 deductible. Would that be a good deal?
I will have to pay them $450 for a pre inspection before getting the coverage, I thought that to be to much for an inspection, of course that amount would be a down payment of the $3000.
Those people who has WW, can you comment if you like them, and if they pay repair bills.

sunshine 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:51 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'd take your $3000 + $450 + $200 = $3650 (assuming 1 warranty issue) and put it in a savings account. Draw out as needed. Many extended warranties are a disappointment as the buyer does not read the fine print on what honestly is and is not covered when the dust settles. However ... I have never bought an extended warranty and am very handy at fixing about anything RV which saves $$$. Yes I know some of you live by your extended warranties.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
the exclusionary contract list exactly what is not covered. It is not the fault of the contract company if you do not read it. We have ours through Progressive and they have paid all repairs authorized in the contract.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #4
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I have a four year warranty with them and they have been outstanding!! I have never had a question on anything requested. My warranty was also an exclusionary policy and depending on the items excluded may be a great deal. My policy has saved me lots of money but we were full timers and used it more than most might. My deductible was $100 and covered almost everything.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We put the money in the bank 10 years ago and it's still there. Our first two units never went for anything, current unit went to the factory for a couple of items and we've done a couple of repairs ourselves. Any after market warranty is a gamble.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Been rving 35 years. Never had one.never had an out of pocket issue that would have justified the cost. Have purchased extended warranties on the ac units. Believe the last one I bought extended the dometic warranty two years for $75.00
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #7
sunshine 1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22947
Dmcgrew, do you have to take your trailer for maintaince service every year according to your contract. If so, what kind of service is required.
Also did you have to pay $450 for pre inspection before the contract was signed?
Old 10-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #8
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine 1 View Post
I am looking into an Extended Warranty. I talked with someone from Wholesale Warranties they gave me a price of about $3000 for 6 years of exclusionary coverage with a $200 deductible. Would that be a good deal?
I will have to pay them $450 for a pre inspection before getting the coverage, I thought that to be to much for an inspection, of course that amount would be a down payment of the $3000.
Those people who has WW, can you comment if you like them, and if they pay repair bills.
BE VERY CAREFUL!! Some contracts require scheduled service visits. #1 so they can find and charge you to fix not covered items. ALSO if you miss an inspection the warranty is worthless.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #9
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
No I do not have to take to shop for annual maintenance. I did pay a fee for an initial inspection but do not recall the amount. My contract is with Viking insurance, wholesale warranties is the broker. I have always been against buying extended warranties but the trailer I purchased new was built by a company that had gone out of business and I was concerned about the lack of any warranty except for the individual component coverage. I have been lucky because it has more than paid for itself. I had a four year coverage policy and I am taking my fifth wheel to Kansas RV Service Center to have the unit gone through and anything repaired or replaced that needs it prior to the end of my coverage in February.
No correct answer on if you need the warranty, you will never know until the end of your coverage period. I was happy with the peace of mind that things were covered and I did save a lot of money. I had a hydraulic ram and pump go out and that all but recouped the cost of my policy.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Well normally I would agree with NO to the extended warranty, but I am glad I had an extended warranty because we have had our share of problems ( stove, microwave, cable reel, refrigerator, 2 AC's) with our Montana while out of Keystone warranty. US Warranty has been great to work with. End the end it is a crap shoot you have to ask yourself "Do you feel lucky".
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
sunshine 1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22947
Thanks for all the input. Does anyone on this forum have a policy with America's RV Warranties? They gave me a quote of $2700 for 8 years exclusionary warranty.I have 2019 montana. I thought that to be nearly to good to be true . Any input about it.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #12
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Good sams service plan said it covered slide outs.. whe I needed to file a claim they said we don't cover adjustments to the slide! I canceled it.. twice now I have been disappointed with service contracts.. save your money.. my experience they are a rip off..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #13
Mr Mustang
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25265
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine 1 View Post
Thanks for all the input. Does anyone on this forum have a policy with America's RV Warranties? They gave me a quote of $2700 for 8 years exclusionary warranty.I have 2019 montana. I thought that to be nearly to good to be true . Any input about it.

I went online and looked at reviews for America's RV Warrantie's. All I can say is buyer be ware! 👎🏻✌🏻️
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #14
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Do your research!! Get a copy of the plan BEFORE you sign anything and check what is NOT covered first, then what they say is covered. Pay attention to how it is specifically worded. Next is deductible. Third is some contracts have a limit on the labor rate they will pay if not repairing at dealer that sold you the plan. In your case this probably doesn’t apply, but still may have limit on the labor rate. You will have to pay difference. You may have a deductible for each item for repair, not per visit to dealer to fix multiple items.These plan prices are often negotiable, more so if bought from dealer. I bought mine because they basically sold it to me at their cost, and I made them prove it to me. I have used it twice but have not paid for itself yet, but close. Only had rig one year. It is a crap shoot. Might look at a shorter length if time and lower deductible. Again, do some thorough research first. Then decide. Good luck.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #15
Irv
Established Member

M.O.C. #19411
We used Good Sam's $2633 extended warranty for our 2017 3730FL and have had >2X that cost in warranty work. Three heat pumps (& related leaks!), refrigerator, air cylinder and related door damage on storage. Glad we had it but normally don't get the warranties. Of course, '...do we need a warranty if you make a quality product..."?
Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #16
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Do your research!! Get a copy of the plan BEFORE you sign anything and check what is NOT covered first, then what they say is covered. Pay attention to how it is specifically worded. Next is deductible. Third is some contracts have a limit on the labor rate they will pay if not repairing at dealer that sold you the plan. In your case this probably doesn’t apply, but still may have limit on the labor rate. You will have to pay difference. You may have a deductible for each item for repair, not per visit to dealer to fix multiple items.These plan prices are often negotiable, more so if bought from dealer. I bought mine because they basically sold it to me at their cost, and I made them prove it to me. I have used it twice but have not paid for itself yet, but close. Only had rig one year. It is a crap shoot. Might look at a shorter length if time and lower deductible. Again, do some thorough research first. Then decide. Good luck.
They don't have the coverage listed .. You get a copy when you pay... The Paper said... they cover Slide outs.. Then, in another section it said they don't cover alignment, fuel filters etc then Adjustments... It did not say under slide outs they don't covet to adjust slides.. It would be totally worthless then.. Its like they say they cover tvs , but I have a 500 deductible.. so they would not cover a tv...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #17
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
waste of money. put the money in the bank!
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote