Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
gregorygalliano@yahoo.com

M.O.C. #27003
3 slides damaged 2015 3711 FL

My 3 hydraulically operated slides are damaged from water following the screws located on the trim on the sides of the pressboard floors. I have replaced one of the floors under the slide where the dinette table I’d but the floor where the Samsung refrigerator is is badly damaged to a point where I might have to bring it to the dealer after making an insurance claim. Does anyone have any guidance on how to remove the Samsung refrigerator and repair the floor that was under the fridge and under the cabinets and stove. My dealer has given me an estimate to repair a slide @ $4500 per slide. Any pointers are appreciated. Thanks

gregorygalliano@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:12 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If you are going to remove the refrigerator completely from the trailer, most likely you'll want to take it through the main entry door. You'll need to unhook the refrigerator from it's supports that anchor it down (if that exists). Then remove the doors and / or sliding drawer for the freezer section, (if that exists), then it should go through the door.

Before doing any of that, get the measurement of the depth of the refrigerator without the doors and make sure you have clearance wide enough through the door. If the refrigerator with no doors is still wider than the door, then you'll have to figure out something different.

If all you want to do is get the refrigerator out of the slide, then you still should be able to unhook it from the wall supports and just slide it out of the way.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
God heavens.....................as someone who is in the pre shopping stage for a Montana 5th wheeler these defects are starting to scare me away.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
God heavens.....................as someone who is in the pre shopping stage for a Montana 5th wheeler these defects are starting to scare me away.
Just remember, we have many thousands of members and you only hear about the problems on this forum. Many of us are on our third or more monty's.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
I highly recommend slide toppers.

We had one on our "C" and it kept 99% of the water off the slide. They not only keep debris off they keep all the water coming off the roof from cascading onto the slide and also keep you from bringing a wet slide roof into the RV when moving in the rain.

When shopping for our Montana they were on my "gotta have" list. Fortunately we found one that had them installed at the factory.

I did have to use pool noodles to keep them from puddling and running off the ends. But they're light and pack easily. Found the idea here:

https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...html#post27503
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I will admit that slide topper have their advantages, but they are (were) a bit too noisy for us in the Kansas winds. No, I'm not interested in bungee cords or nerf soccer balls to solve the issue. Anyways ... the OP stated that the water got in from the screws along the bottom trim even with the slide floors ... toppers wouldn't have prevented that. Replacing all or part of slide floors is quite a job involving removing the slide if the entire floor is to be replaced in one piece. Best of luck.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Just make sure all your warranty items get fixed BEFORE you sign the final paperwork. Reading through all the issues people are having will give you clues of what to inspect and look for. Make a list! Put all the slides and awning in and out. Check all the plumbing/ sinks for any leaks. Take your time and start at one end and really look at everything. Check all the A/C ducts to make sure non are collapsed. Pull the A/C covers inside and make sure the return and cold air are sealed off. There are check lists out there somewhere I’m sure. Montana is no different than any other manufacturer. Check some of the other manufacturer forums and you will see similar posts. Be prepared for repairs. Most you can probably fix yourselves. If you can, it will be faster than most dealers, even if it’s warranty. Just realize these RV’s are bouncing down the highway under hurricane force winds. Something is bound to bounce loose. Take a couple “break in” LOCAL trips before you take that “big” trip somewhere. You will find things that need to be fixed. It’s just the nature of the beast. Make sure you have a good tool box full of tools to take with you. Unfortunately, the industry has little regulation and factory QC is lacking at all manufacturers. Some units are worse than others. Its not all problems. When everything is working, the lifestyle can be a blast. Good luck with your search!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
We have owned 3 Montanas all bought new and have had very few issues all minor. Keep your eyes open and don't let little things turn in to big problems. If you are uneasy I recommend you not buy any RV of any kind/brand as they all have some issues.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #9
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
You will have problems.. please be handy with tools.. many don't have many, and some have more problems. Many are nuisances, some are bigger. Guy next to us has a very expensive motor home.. his water line busted.. the park has 110 psi.. yes, there was a reducer.. Don't matter if its a 24000 dollar or a 2,5 million..He cant get to the broken water line so it must go to the shop..Sorry about your slides..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #10
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
Don’t worry guys we are still in the hunt. Just had a guy come out to the house last night. Going to have about 2 dozen oak trees and stumps removed so I can drive around the workshop with the 5th wheeler then have a place to park it. This gives me a straight shot out of our property.
Trees removed, then grading, then gravel, then we go looking for a new diesel F350’s
Then finally start the search for a Montana.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:50 AM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
This issue can be completely avoided by installing eturnabond tape to all trim around all slide out joints along with all seams/roof penetrations.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
I have a neighbor with a water intrusion problem at a slide and he recommends slide topper, I agree.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:33 AM   #13
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Probably the single biggest & most damaging issue is water, the first year of ownership seems to be the most critical. You need to be handy & aware of where & how water can get in. I have a 2018 381 that had multiple leaks that I tracked down & repaired to the point I feel comfortable. Start with the slide out seals, then latches & fasteners. the slam latches are not totally waterproof & are usually missing sealant. Check all compartment weatherstripping, seems like they need to add a couple of inches as all mine were stretched & leaked. I removed all the baggage doors & frames, every frame needed to be resealed & additional screws added. The roof always needs something, I replaced the caulking with eternabond tape which seems to work well. Then go window by window, most are not sealed correctly, than water test again. It may seem like a lot of work but if fixed early on you can enjoy a long service life. Having owned rvs for a long time you kinda get used to the up front work, I know we shouldn't have to but it seems to be the nature of the beast, besides think what would happen to your house if it was towed down the road. I say fix & enjoy, life is too short.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:03 AM   #14
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
Probably the single biggest & most damaging issue is water, the first year of ownership seems to be the most critical. You need to be handy & aware of where & how water can get in. I have a 2018 381 that had multiple leaks that I tracked down & repaired to the point I feel comfortable. Start with the slide out seals, then latches & fasteners. the slam latches are not totally waterproof & are usually missing sealant. Check all compartment weatherstripping, seems like they need to add a couple of inches as all mine were stretched & leaked. I removed all the baggage doors & frames, every frame needed to be resealed & additional screws added. The roof always needs something, I replaced the caulking with eternabond tape which seems to work well. Then go window by window, most are not sealed correctly, than water test again. It may seem like a lot of work but if fixed early on you can enjoy a long service life. Having owned rvs for a long time you kinda get used to the up front work, I know we shouldn't have to but it seems to be the nature of the beast, besides think what would happen to your house if it was towed down the road. I say fix & enjoy, life is too short.
Good advice. I use clear marine silicone. Its way stronger than oem cheap stuff. Its removable, but with some effort, which is what you want. You need to move quickly because it usually sets up faster than the cheap stuff and really locks out water. Also, if you have screws that are backing out use a dab of this silicone on the threads and it will stay put. I am in the process of removing all my factory cheap silicone and replacing with marine silicone. It stays flexible, but so much stronger.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #15
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Just remember, we have many thousands of members and you only hear about the problems on this forum. Many of us are on our third or more monty's.
I see what you mean. The OP could very well be a troll as well because they posted once and never updated a thing.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
F.Y.I. The Op posted this on 9/1 at 7:44 and hasn't returned since.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote