Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #1
Montana_2008
Established Member

M.O.C. #2008
Maintainence

I have a 2004 ford F-250 deisel with air aid and stainless steel exhaust. The Book tells me to change the fuel filters, and transmission fluid every 30,000 miles is this neccessary> I change the oil every 5,ooo but are the fuel filters aand transmition necessary. Thanks, Jerry 3400 monty loaded.

Montana_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Jerry,
I am not sure how the Ford manual is, but my Duramax gets oil change and filter every 3,000 miles. The tranny gets done every 25,000 miles and the fuel filter every 10,000 miles. These are the numbers from GM and I have stuck to that plan, so far so good.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtman1313

I have a 2004 ford F-250 deisel with air aid and stainless steel exhaust. The Book tells me to change the fuel filters, and transmission fluid every 30,000 miles is this neccessary> I change the oil every 5,ooo but are the fuel filters aand transmition necessary. Thanks, Jerry 3400 monty loaded.
I service my transmission between 15,000 and 25,000 miles. When I've done a lot of towing, I have it flushed and refilled more frequently. Since we are full time, it gets changed frequently. I change my fuel filter every 20,000 miles.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
I change the oil every 5000. Changed the transmission at 30,000. I change the fuel filter every third oil change. Have never had a problem on that scheule.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I use amsoil in my engine, tranny, differential. I have a by pass filtration system installed that works very well. Have the oil tested every 6 motnhs, change the white bypass filter every 6 months and adda wuart of oil. change the black filter every year and add uart of oil. Tests are done by an independent lab, and so far have shown no appreciable wear on the tranny or engine. tranny filter is changed evry 20,000. I change the fuel filter every 10,000 miles.
So far it's all working as advertsied. I also have a
BD exhaust brake, and it makes a great difference in braking power. K&N does not have one for the duramax yet, but is bringing one out soon. The BD cuts out at 15 mph and the tranny stays locked up down to low gear. As per BD Instructions
I excercise it every time I drive the truck. It's designed to used in tow haul mode and interfaces with the cruside ontrol, brakes, accelerator and brakes. Works Great!!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #6
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I just had the 30,000 mile service. Flush and refill radiator and brake lines, change fluid and filter in trans., crankcase, and differential, clean injectors, check brake pads and what ever else I can't remember $680.00 at Ford dealer. Got to love them.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I agree will all the previous posts ... skimping on filtration and oil change intervals won't save you anything in the long run if that is what you were trying to get us to weight in on. I may open a can of worms here, but I feel it needs to be addressed. I see that you are running an AirAid system ... the stock heavy duty system with the big blue Donaldson filter from Ford (although pricey) gave you a boatload more filtration with more than adequate flow than the oil soaked synthetic cotton and gauze used in your current system as well as by K&N . Yes they will flow more air, but look where this type of filter was developed from ... racing applications and boating. Racers aren't too concerned about filtration as the engines are torn down fairly often to "keep the edge" ... boaters, well how many dust storms have you drove thru on the lake? In say 10,000 miles, take your tube off from the air box to your turbo ... wipe the inside with a light colored cloth and tell me what you see. I could go on, but maybe someone else will take up where I leave off. It didn't have the fancy cotton fiber they use nowdays, but I had a 57 Ford pickup with an oil bath filter ... 50 year old technology!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:44 AM   #8
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I'll stay off the Amsoil subject!
As a mechanic I cannot tell you how many times someone has brought me their car or truck for a transmission service....when it was too late. It was already slipping and a oil change only makes it worse at this point. Stay to regular changes per your owners manual. Automatic transmissions tend to get forgot about being they are out of sight and out of mind. And this is an area I do believe in Synthetic oil. Use a good quality oil and filter and you cannot go wrong. Do not use any type of additive.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote