Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Montana fifth wheels recalled: disc brakes could fail

Posted: 26 Nov 2018 01:34 PM PST
Keystone RV Company is recalling certain 2019 Keystone Montana fifth wheel trailers with the Legacy package. The fasteners that secure the disc brake assembly may fail. Under certain conditions during travel, if the fasteners come loose the vehicle would lose all braking ability, increasing the risk of a crash. Keystone will notify owners, and dealers […]
The post Montana fifth wheels recalled: disc brakes could fail appeared first on RV Travel.

awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Wowwwww!
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:23 PM   #3
dke1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #20643
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
Posted: 26 Nov 2018 01:34 PM PST
Keystone RV Company is recalling certain 2019 Keystone Montana fifth wheel trailers with the Legacy package. The fasteners that secure the disc brake assembly may fail. Under certain conditions during travel, if the fasteners come loose the vehicle would lose all braking ability, increasing the risk of a crash. Keystone will notify owners, and dealers […]
The post Montana fifth wheels recalled: disc brakes could fail appeared first on RV Travel.
After reading post on this site re. disk brakes I was strongly considering ordering Legacy package to get the discs....I'm sure this recall will be ironed out and addressed...but WOW...driving down the road in your Legacy package Montana and all of a sudden no @#$%&* brakes...I'm beginning to think the lack of quality control on these darn things is getting past the point of being tolerable....at least for me.
dke1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:49 AM   #4
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
I’m wondering who is the supplier for the disc brake system on the Legacy models?
Would it be Lippert supplying with the frame?
First generation ya never know, give it some time this disc brake stuff is cutting edge
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
I'd imagine someone sheared the little 3/8" low grade bolts they usually use for the electric drum brakes. The loose flange rotated and wrapped around the brake hose and the trailer lost all braking effort. When I did the conversion, I didn't reuse the studs pressed into the flange and replaced them with grade 8 hardware. There's a lot more shear force present with the braking strength of disc brakes.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
While I don't have a Legacy - 2019 or any other year, my guess is that whoever assembles the brackets to the axle doesn't upgrade the 'standard' mgnet brake fasteners. They are too short for the disc assembly. I didn't upgrade ours when I did the disc mod but recently purchased a full set of ARP bolts (beyond Grade 8 strength) and lock nuts to do that changeover when the weather goes back to something other then a snow or rainstorm
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Well I hope no one gets hurt.

Imagine the irony. Order a Legacy Package to get safer disc brakes with better stopping power, only to find out they cause you to lose all braking power.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We had disc brakes put on our 2013 Monte while at a Rally this year. The installing tech told me when he put them on he switched the bolts out to a heavier grade because he said the OEM bolts were not strong enough for the actions of the disc brakes. I sure do love those new brakes and the stopping power and distance of them are outstanding. Won't be without them IF I ever trade to a newer unit.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
You would think if there had been many actual failures we would have had a member report it here?

Total brake failures on the trailer do happen infrequently and are generally caused by wiring problems. You can stop it with only your truck brakes although it will take a little longer.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #10
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
It may be the transport companies were the ones to discover it.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
Coronabob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9515
I just called and ours isn’t in the recall. Good news. Apparently there are 98 units involved.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
HiCountry

M.O.C. #18281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
While I don't have a Legacy - 2019 or any other year, my guess is that whoever assembles the brackets to the axle doesn't upgrade the 'standard' mgnet brake fasteners. They are too short for the disc assembly. I didn't upgrade ours when I did the disc mod but recently purchased a full set of ARP bolts (beyond Grade 8 strength) and lock nuts to do that changeover when the weather goes back to something other then a snow or rainstorm
Dave
I’ll be converting my Montana to disc brakes this weekend and am now concerned that the grade 5 bolts supplied with the kit are not adequate. Grade 8 bolts some kits use have apparently “snapped” at their recommended torque of 50 ft lbs. Sounds like the ARP bolts might be a better solution. Where did you buy them? Thanks, Jim
HiCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #13
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCountry View Post
Dave
I’ll be converting my Montana to disc brakes this weekend and am now concerned that the grade 5 bolts supplied with the kit are not adequate. Grade 8 bolts some kits use have apparently “snapped” at their recommended torque of 50 ft lbs. Sounds like the ARP bolts might be a better solution. Where did you buy them? Thanks, Jim

Jim, I ordered mine from Jeg's (https://www.jegs.com/)as Amazon was 'sold out' of the size I wanted at the time though they may have stock again. Be prepared for sticker shock but IMHO, worth the added bucks for another 30,000# strength over a standard Grade 8. I'm surprised that any brake kit bundler would supply Gr 5 fasteners unless they were trying to save a buck or two on their bottom line.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:33 PM   #14
HiCountry

M.O.C. #18281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Jim, I ordered mine from Jeg's (https://www.jegs.com/)as Amazon was 'sold out' of the size I wanted at the time though they may have stock again. Be prepared for sticker shock but IMHO, worth the added bucks for another 30,000# strength over a standard Grade 8. I'm surprised that any brake kit bundler would supply Gr 5 fasteners unless they were trying to save a buck or two on their bottom line.
Dave - Thanks for the information!
Talked to a fellow today who said he is under the impression that the Montana Legacy recall was due to bolts which were possibly too short and/or that locking nuts or lock washes may not have been used when those units were built up. Like you, I wondered if cost was a factor selecting grade 5 over 8 but this fellow maintained that Kodiak did testing on both grades and found 5, if properly torqued, to be a better choice.
The problem may be in the installation and not the bolt. Hopefully someone who has one of those recalled Montana’s can respond and fill us in.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:27 AM   #15
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCountry View Post
Dave - Thanks for the information!
Talked to a fellow today who said he is under the impression that the Montana Legacy recall was due to bolts which were possibly too short and/or that locking nuts or lock washes may not have been used when those units were built up. Like you, I wondered if cost was a factor selecting grade 5 over 8 but this fellow maintained that Kodiak did testing on both grades and found 5, if properly torqued, to be a better choice.
The problem may be in the installation and not the bolt. Hopefully someone who has one of those recalled Montana’s can respond and fill us in.

Jim, just be aware that the Gr 5 torque figures for a 3/8-24 plain bolt are higher(35) then a plated bolt(28), often the yellow zinc chromate. The ARP 8740 material is 45 lb ft.

These torquing figure then translate into clamping force(load) which is really what you are looking for. A Gr 5 (unplated) at proper torque is 5600. a Gr 8 is 7900 and an ARP is 9800.

So, will a Gr 5 fastener work - probably be just fine but just not my personal choice for brake or suspension applications.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #16
HiCountry

M.O.C. #18281
Dave
Thanks for the torque info! Very appropriate as I just found this online from Dexter. Appears the problem WAS improper torque, not the bolts themselves.

————————————————————————————————————————-
OMB Control No.: 2127-0004
Part 573 Safety Recall Report 18V-785
Manufacturer Name :
Submission Date : NHTSA Recall No. : Manufacturer Recall No. :
Keystone RV Company
NOV 06, 2018 18V-785 18-336
Manufacturer Name : Keystone RV Company
Manufacturer Information :
Address : PO Box 2000
2642 Hackberry Drive Goshen IN
46527 Company phone : 574-535-2100
Number of potentially involved : 98 Estimated percentage with defect : 100 %
Population :
Vehicle Information :
Vehicle 1 : 2019-2019 Keystone Montana Vehicle Type : TRAILERS
Body Style : Power Train : NR
Descriptive Information : Legacy Package
Production Dates : AUG 14, 2018 - OCT 24, 2018
VIN Range 1 : Begin : 4YDF38128K4701412 End : 4YDF37928K4702140 ✔ Not sequential
Description of the Defect : It has been decided that the vehicles in the recall population may have fasteners used to install a disc brake assembly that may fail.
Description of Defect :
FMVSS 1 : NR
FMVSS 2 : NR
Description of the Safety Risk : Under certain conditions during travel, if the fasteners come loose the vehicle can lose all braking ability, leading to an increased risk of property damage
and poor vehicle handling.
Description of the Cause : The fasteners may have been improperly torqued by the vendors that supplied
Identification of Any Warning Loss of braking ability. that can Occur :
the component allowing the fasteners to come loose.
Supplier Identification : Component Manufacturer
The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573

Part 573 Safety Recall Report 18V-785
Page 2e
Name : Dexter Axle
Address : PO Box 250
Elkhart INDIANA 46515
9/10/2018–Report was made of a failure concerning disc brakes.
9/17/2018 – Report made of a second disc brake failure.
9/24/2018 – Information gathered from first two failures and investigation opened. All affected Montana units were put on hold and brake fasteners were inspected. Further investigation needed to review failed parts. 10/24/2018 – Returned parts information gathered and reviewed with supplying vendors. Morryde installed disc brakes onto the Dexter axles discovered to have a similar failure and added to investigation.
11/1/2018 – Investigation concluded and scope completed.
Chronology :
Description of Remedy Program : The remedy is remove the brake assembly, replace and properly torque
Description of Remedy :
the new mounting fasteners.
How Remedy Component Differs The old fasteners will be replaced in case of damage and properly torqued. from Recalled Component :
Identify How/When Recall Condition Units were quarantined, inspected then repaired as indicated by was Corrected in Production : inspection.
Description of Recall Schedule : Keystone will notify the dealers and owners of the recreational vehicles by letter. A final copy of the owner letter will be provided to NHTSA,
Recall Schedule :
along with the dealer repair procedures. Planned Dealer Notification Date : NOV 30, 2018 - NOV 30, 2018
Planned Owner Notification Date : NOV 30, 2018 - NOV 30, 2018
* NR - Not Reported
The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573