Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
MJD
Established Member

M.O.C. #22974
Waxing and polishing

Just getting around to detailing my 2012 montana. Didnt realize like my previous motorhome that these units have no clear coats and are gelcoat finish. With the sun on finish u can see every swirl and mark. No matter what i use i cant remove.May explain why montana puts so many decals to hide your line of site. Brfore i get into buffers i want to hear from others who have delt with this issue.

MJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Did you try Nufinish or maguires cleaner wax?
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
MJD
Established Member

M.O.C. #22974
Maquires cleaner wax makes a worst mess. It works great on clear coats
MJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I have always had good luck with Nufinish liquid. been using it for years.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I have found that technique has more to do with the swirls than the compounds. There is a skill to doing this correctly.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
Goose
Established Member

M.O.C. #20575
I recommend researching and trying 303 Aerospace Protectant. It is a UV protectant. I use it on the entire rig, except the glass, with no swirl marks. It may leave some "sheen" streaks if it is applied to thick but can by wiped with a damp cloth to get them off. It is water based versus petroleum based and will be easier on the gelcoat and vinyl decals. I use it on my vehicles on non-painted surfaces including tires, dash, and trim (non leather). I try to apply about 3 or 4 times a year.
PullRite SuperGlide 24K
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
maybe

I think I will give this a try I`m getting real tired of waxing a 41 ft. camper and caps.

Gelcoat fiberglass is polyester resin with the pigment in the resin, commonly used in boats, RV's, snowmobiles, jet ski's, etc. *303®*Aerospace Protectant provides an excellent care solution for Gelcoat fibreglass. *The Gelcoat fiberglass rapidly fades and chalks with traditional maintenance being tedious and repetitive buffing and waxing.
303®*Aerospace Protectant™ is an alternative to buffing and waxing.* 303®*restores like new color and gloss to faded gelcoat fiberglass by spraying on and polishing completely dry.
A new appearance is maintained with periodic spray on/wipe off applications usually every 45-60 days of exposure. *This makes the Fiberglass shine and the Colours stay vidi and bright.
In addition,* the 303®'d* surface is extremely repellent to water, soiling and staining ... resulting in staying cleaner longer and when a clean up is necessary it is much easier when soiled.
So for gelcoat fiberglass 303®*Aerospace Protectant™ is a superior with respect to ease of use, level of protection, appearance and repellency.
Restoring Gelcoat with 303®*Aerospace Protectant™
Gelcoat Fiberglass Application
Method 1).
Spray 303®*on the surface liberally, rub it around with your hand or a thoroughly saturated sponge or cloth to assure the gelcoat is thoroughly wetted with 303®.* After a couple of hours if any portion of the surface is dull, apply more 303®*to that portion.* Let soak in for 12-24 hours.* The entire surface will look like new, but to complete the job all the unabsorbed 303®*must be wiped away.* This is easily done with a clean towel and bucket of clean water.* Soak the towel in the water, wring out most of the water and wipe down the gelcoat.* If it is a large area, you will have to rinse out the towel periodically.*
Method 2).
Wash the surface to remove surface dirt & grit.* Then use a variable speed power buffer (set not to exceed 1800 rpm) with a synthetic wool pad(or equivalent).* Spray 303®*on the surface, spread with the buffer on low, then increase the Rpm's & buff in until dry.* Professionals utilizing this method achieve a labor savings of at least 80% compared to standard buffing & waxing, while producing a more lustrous and beautiful, longer lasting finish.
Note:* In some cases, pre-buffing may be required.* Be sure to use a buffing compound which leaves no wax or polymer finish.
RESULTS/BENEFITS:
Once properly applied, 303®*Aerospace-treated gelcoat repels dust, dirt and moisture, stays cleaner longer and cleans up easier when finally soiled.*

To prevent the reoccurrence of both UV fading and oxidation, periodically reapply 303®*Aerospace Protectant™ (spray on/wipe dry).* This will provide continuing UV protection and keep the gelcoat surface like new.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
I use Meguiars RV with an orbital buffer. Leaves no marks as it is slow moving so I do not get any swirl marks. Makes it smooth as a babies bottom.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #9
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
A long Montana is a lot of work to spray on and wipe off the 303. And then you have to do it again in 2 months. A LOT of work. I am too old and sore to do this anymore, too. I hired someone to come to the house and wash/wax it. All they did was spray it on and off. I can do that. Oh well.... I suppose I should use my power sprayer and give it a was this winter here in AZ.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:58 AM   #10
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
Thank you for the information. Just ordered a gallon from Amazon.
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I do not know what the guys that wash and wax our Montana use but it looks good. I will check it out next time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #12
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
I've had good results on my 2017 HC 310RL with hand polishing and using a electric buffer with the Meguiars marine and rv cleaner wax no. 50, its in a blue bottle. I've gotten out some decent branch scratchers out with it and also it helped tone down the scratchers on the decals.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #13
Graham
Established Member

M.O.C. #10287
Poly-Glo...

The Aerospace 303 product looks good. I'll have to try it. I've been using NuFinish once a year and it's worked well. This year I bought some Poly-Glo only for the front and back caps. I used it on my boat and a month ago used it on my Montana. Looks like NEW! It's a different product to use, comes with applicators and a cleaner that removes any previous product and and wax. The final product is an acrylic. Four quick coats of the poly-glo product and it's brought out all the color in the decals and leaves a fantastic shine. Now I'll see how long it lasts. They recommend a 'once a year' treatment. A bit expensive but I'm only using it on the fiberglass caps front & back....and my boat where I didn't get an algae line this year!!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #14
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Polishing

Based on recommendations from this site, I recently used the Turtle Wax Ice Spray on polish. It was very easy to apply and lightly wipe and left a very good shine and water-repellent coating. Very satisfied. No doubt will have to do at least a couple times a year to maintain.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #15
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I have waxed my 42' 5ver 3 or 4 times, and it takes 2 days each time. I use Nufinsh liquid and it goes on easy and comes off easy and the water beads up for a very long time. I have the full body paint and they did that 5 year protection coating as well, so not sure if this makes my wax job look even better or not, but I have used the 303 spray on my kayaks, and I am not that impressed. I will be sticking with the Nufinish as long as I am healthy enough to spend 2 says every 6 months or so waxing this beast!
Old 12-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #16
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
could be the one

So went out and bought a gallon of this ( $38.00 dollars ) a wash mit and a squirt bottle from Wallyworld. Washed the camper then filled the squirt bottle with 303, saturated the glove, went around starting at the top and squirted the stuff on the camper and went over it with the saturated mit. Less than an hour using my 10` A frame ladder,no real work out and it shined very nicely. Used 1 and 1/2 bottles even did the tires. I`ll see how long it lasts.
Sure beats the 2 day marathon work out, should get 3 coatings out of a gallon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	303-universal-protectant-group-shot_1.png
Views:	57
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	2775  
Attached Images

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #17
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Be careful where you use it. I use it on my whitewater kayak and it is a good lubricant when putting the skirt on. So any rubber steps you use this on could give you whitewater ride you were not expecting.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #18
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
303 Aerospace Protectant has been recommended for years to use on your kitchen overhead vent or exhaust fans(Dometic fans) to keep the gasket pliable and the vent from sticking to the gasket in hot weather. While at several Good Sam Rallies they were actually handing out small wet wraps of it to rub your gaskets down on their fans. I'm going to give it a try on the cap since ours is starting to caulk some even with the wax that has been put on twice a year.
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:08 PM   #19
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Maybe I am missing something here, but I apply the 303 on my kayaks and they seem really clean and polished, and then we go to the most pure clean lake in the country, Lake Tahoe, and kayak for a few hours, and then we bring them back and put them in our garage on a trailer, and maybe the next time they still look ok, but after the second time they are dull again. I use two to three different towels to apply and buff off, like the instructions say, so I am not nearly impressed with these short term looks vs. a good wax job? So what am I missing here?