Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Kellyjones
Established Member

M.O.C. #18782
Slide Topper

Hi all, just wondering if any of you with slide toppers have had an issue with the topper rolling up unevenly causing creases or bunching of the vinyl? How did you correct this? Wondering if I just need to reposition the vinyl on the roller edge or ale out the two screws at the camper edge?

Kellyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
I don't have them yet, but I would think that its just like a standard awning, in that it has more than likely moved on the roller tube assembly. Please keep this thread updated with your solution as it will help others too.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hi Kelly! You might also want to go to the Search Engine here at the top of the page and enter slide toppers to see if anyone has asked this problem previously. There are two Search Engines so try both of them. Good luck and will talk to you later!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyjones View Post
Hi all, just wondering if any of you with slide toppers have had an issue with the topper rolling up unevenly causing creases or bunching of the vinyl? How did you correct this? Wondering if I just need to reposition the vinyl on the roller edge or ale out the two screws at the camper edge?
I have just installed them on our 381, the key is to have them centered & pinned to the awning rail when centered. Roll in & out a couple times to check, also make sure both arms have about the same tension, check to make sure a spring didn't snap on one side. If you look where they are attached to the camper in the awning rail there should be a small screw, an inch in at each end, I would check that first.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Never a problem with us.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
Kellyjones
Established Member

M.O.C. #18782
Screws are still intact on the awning rail. I thought I just needed to center the topper on the roller but I actually think the topper needs to be slid all the way to the left on the roller?. Guess I'll find out when I roll it in. I'm guessing I should not have to remove those screws just maneuver the roller edge right?
Kellyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
Applejack 1948

M.O.C. #22699
I had my dealer install mine before delivery. Top was rolling up crooked and a part from the topper brace fell off. Took it back to dealer and had them check it out. The problem was a wind deverting cap by bracket. It was rubbing against the mounting bracket and camper keeping it from rolling straight. I had the part removed and that took care of the problem. Check and see if yours is rubbing against your camper.
Applejack 1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
I have just installed them on our 381, the key is to have them centered & pinned to the awning rail when centered. Roll in & out a couple times to check, also make sure both arms have about the same tension, check to make sure a spring didn't snap on one side. If you look where they are attached to the camper in the awning rail there should be a small screw, an inch in at each end, I would check that first.
Agree 100% I did get mine from the factory but had to adjust them in the rails that are attached to the rig, by moving them along the rails once they are centered they roll up nice.

Only bothersome issue We have is the heavy wind but the good outweigh the bad with these things, and I keep mine clean so they look good and roll up ok, I see som ppl have white ones that are black and black ones that look awful from not taking care of them.

A little cleaning and maintenance goes a long way for sure.
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
Okie-Dokie
Established Member

M.O.C. #19048
Had ours installed by the dealer and they have worked fine even after taking out some small limb on the turns. Only problem is a little too much slack so that a non-draining puddle forms after rains that develops a mossy deposit. Have heard of inserting a partially filled beach ball underneath to create a slope but not tried.
Okie-Dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #10
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
slide topper

I had that problem with an Alpha Gold I had. Once I had things centered and wrinkles out. I pinned the rail with some small screws so it could not move side to side. Never had the problem. Some times wind will cause them to move
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #11
Oldharley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21684
I had a 2008 with the slide toppers. If the screws that hold the awning to the slide get loose it will cause the awning to rub against the slide and bind when trying to move the slide out. The slides go in ok but going out you will know something is wrong.
Oldharley is offline   Reply With Quote