Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks and ???

To everyone on this forum:

Because of all of the wonderful posts on this message board, I have done the following:

Purchased a 2006 3400RL with High Gloss

Ordered a Glide-Ride pin box (before this mb came along, I didn't even know what a pin box was!) - RickFox, based on your research, I felt very comfortable ordering this pin box - Thanks!

Ordered a double pivot hitch with bed saver

Added slide toppers to our 3400RL

And, I intend to purchase roto-chocks, levels, and other assorted items that you all have written about as being "must-haves".

I can't thank you all enough for the knowledge sharing and the positive nature of this forum.

I do have a question (you knew it was coming, didn't you):

We live in Reno, where it gets cold in the winter. Since we want to take it out in the winter, should I winterize after each trip? Or, are there other solutions?

Thanks!

Michael & Kathy

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Congratulations on you purchase. My hope for you is that you enjoy your rig even more than you have dreamed. As to your question, I am a warm climes denison, so I will let the cold weather folk give that advice and counsel. Happy RVing...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Wow!! you went all out, congrats on your new RV and equiptment, and many happy trails.

TT2
Old 01-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Congrats on your new 3400RL purchase!!!!!!!!! You have the two options I wish I had ordered on this rig, they will be on the next one some day. Hope you have many, many happy miles ahead in your new coach. Let us know all about it as you get that baby on the road.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:31 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Michael & Kathy to the MOC Family.

Sounds like you really put it all together. Just one question, whatcha gots fer a tow rig?

BTW- I have found the easiest way to winterize a rig is to drag it south until the temp stays above freezing. Than stay put until spring.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:32 AM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Congratulations on taking the BIG plunge; you did it in style! Like Stiles, I live in a warm weather climate and usually winterize after our last trip in November, so I too will let the cold weather MOC members help you there!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:20 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Congratulations from us also, LOOKS like you are SET your 3500 TV will do a great job and I'm shure you'll like the 3400!! Enjoy, as I said the best experience was when a left the dealers ship with my new toys! If it gets below freezing go ahead and shoot 3 gallons of anti-freeze in it, takes 20 min. and $6.00 for anti-freeze. You'll sleep better at night? See-Ya
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:25 AM   #8
Montana_4944
Established Member

M.O.C. #4944
Sounds like some great choices. You will not regret it. What I've seen friends do that take there's out in the winter is keep the furnace on low as long as you can keep it by your house and keep an eye on things. But if you have to store it some were else I would winterize.
Montana_4944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:26 AM   #9
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We live where it gets moderately cold in the winter (it is in the 20's this morning). We keep the Montana in our driveway and keep the furnace on low. We do not winterize, as we go out at least once a month in the winter.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:50 AM   #10
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
You may want to check in with Firetrucker. They live in your area.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:20 AM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks, all. I guess until I am a little better at this game, I'll put the anti-freeze in each time.

Michael
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #12
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Welcome to the forum. We live in Gardnerville and also have a 3400. You have the option of running the furnace all winter, at home, or winterizing. We do winterize ours and unwinterize when we leave the area, and re winterize it before returning home. Actually we do run the furnace or small heater to keep the interior over freezing, so we don't have to take all the food and liquids out of the trailer during the winter. Just keep it at about 40 - 45 degrees, and the canned veggies, and toiletries don't freeze. We use an electric heater to do that part, because we think that electricity from the house is cheaper and easier than propane. If you use the electric heater, it won't help your water system so that has to be winterized.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #13
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Hey Roy!!!

If you leave your heat on low, how long do your propane tanks last before they run out.

I would like to winter camp but haven't had the time off from work.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #14
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I winterize between trips. Doesn't take long, and after a few times, you will be a pro at it. You made some great choices with the rig, and hope you have great trips.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by toolmanroy

We live where it gets moderately cold in the winter (it is in the 20's this morning). We keep the Montana in our driveway and keep the furnace on low. We do not winterize, as we go out at least once a month in the winter.
What temperature do you set it at and how much propane do you go through?

Thanks for any help.
Dick Driver
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote