Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
GPS settings

We own a Garmin and I was wondering what settings everyone uses...faster time or shorter distance? Luckily we can set ours for truck but sometimes "Jill" sends us some screwy ways. Some thoughts on what is the best setting? thanks..Joanie

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 AM   #2
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
I have a TOMTOM and have tried both on it when set for faster it keeps you on more major roads, when on shorter it has sent us down dirt roads. When programing it will tell you that using shortest will many time take much longer and that it does use any and all road type to direct you. In fact one time it sent us down a private road to a closed and locked gate had to back out a 1/4 of a mile to find a place to a place to turn around. So most of the time we use Fastest Mode. Jim
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I use the faster mode for major roads but do block toll roads which do give me the country scenery.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have mine set for faster time. It generally stays to major highways and streets. Shorter distance may take you on some (very) secondary roads just to save a mile or two.
But even on faster time, mine will still try to take me on a route that is shorter but that I know is not better or faster. I always check maps in advance before leaving on a trip to make sure I know the route I want to go before I get there.
I use the GPS more for the distance to destination, estimated time of arrival, turn in "x" distance, and locating businesses features than to guide me to my destination. I do use it to get to a street address when looking for a specific location in an unfamiliar town.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Joanie,
When I map out our route (I use MapQuest or GoogleMaps on the computer) I will have to do several "legs" to get the route I want to take. It makes for more input but like you said the GPS unit can send you down some strange ways. We do like to stay off the interstate freeways if we can find secondary roads that will work for us.

We still use the paper maps too but really enjoy the great service that mapping and GPS systems gives us. We are enjoying the navigation features of our new SmartPhone. Good luck and Happy Trails, Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
like Hamrad, I use fastest time but use waypoints if I don't like the route. Works for me.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
illapah...what are waypoints?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Had Jill set to avoid toll roads. Wouldn't let me go thru the entrance station to Yellowstone.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
I usually preplan my route using Tyre http://www.tyre.tk, which uses Google Maps to plan the route and set way points. You can then load the route to your TomTom or Garmin.

One "trick" I've discovered is: when dealing with divided highways, such as interstates, you need to zoom in tight and make sure you put the way point on the correct side of the highway. Otherwise it will take you off the highway and loop you back to hit the way point then loop you back again to continue on.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Casa del Sol, forgive the intrusion, but Waypoints are interim stops that can be setup in some Navigation Systems. I don't know if your nav system supports this.

These waypoints are additional stops between your beginning point to your destination to include places you want to visit, dine or any other reason prior to getting to the destination. Even though the start and stopping points can be called waypoints, too, the ones in between are more commonly termed "waypoints", or in Trailer Life's Directory Campground Navigator software they are called Via Points.

Anyway, long explanation made longer, any additional "stopping point" set up in the Nav system on the way to the End Point. These are very common on long distance trips.

LOL dbengineer... I learned about that one some time ago... Waypoint placement is very critical!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:12 AM   #11
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Thanks Art. I will check that out with my Garmin. Unfortunately I left the manual at home!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Joanie and Dave,
I'll bet Garmin has a manual online. It probably is in a PDF format so you can download it and just use it on your computer. Just an idea as I did not check to see what they have. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote