Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Montana Martins
Established Member

M.O.C. #6769
window shade problem

Have a window shade that is askew. The day time shade has slipped out of the bracket about 6 inches, strings seem all out of line and we can't lower or raise it. Any suggestions? Thanks

Montana Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Sounds like the end cap at the middle rail has come out and is laying on the floor, somewhere.
The following picture is from Ontmont. The end cap is off to the left of the picture.

In our experience, level the middle rail (carefully) while feeding the excess shade material back into the rail. Once you have the material back where it needs to be, replace the end cap (you might want to add just a smidge of gel glue).
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Montana Martins
Established Member

M.O.C. #6769
Thanks!! It's back on the track but no sign of the end cap- must have come off before we purchased last year. We seldome lower it so may not have found the problem. Puppy has started barking while we are away so lowed it so she can't see out as easily. Unfortunately, shade tore when it came off so it will need to be replaced anyway.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The end cap is a must so that this problem does not recur. If you can't find one at your local dealer, you may want to contact the OEM of the day/night shades:

Specialty Window Coverings
1655 Gateway Ct
Elkhart, IN 46514

(574) 262-5190
Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
We are getting at least two shades replaced due to the end caps falling off and the fabric tearing. Someone suggested that we put small screws through the metal and plastic end cap after the replacements are installed.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Montana Martins
Established Member

M.O.C. #6769
Thanks for all the information. I think I'll put some duct tape on the end and try and prevent another slip. We'll contact the OEM on Monday. Although our rig was new, it was almost a year old when we got it and had been to several shows in Florida so who knows where it came off. At any rate, it's okay for now until we can get a replacement. Do any of you know if we can install it ourselves? We're pretty much permanently parked until the end of April.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
They snap in, so yes, you can do it yourself.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have installed 2 new shades. You have to unscrew the covering at the top and get your strings adjusted at the bobbins, not hard just frustrating at times. With some patience you'll get it right.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
Montana Martins
Established Member

M.O.C. #6769
Update. OEM is sending an end cap to get us through to having shade replaced. Hubby talked to Montana yesterday and they are going to note on our record that we can wait til we break camp in late April and head to our closest service center. They'll order new shade and have it ready for installation when we get there.

Thanks again for the info. Love this site and all you who share your knowledge.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:47 AM   #10
adamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #8885
our shades do not stay or they sag to one side, the night shade in the back wont stay up when we push up the day shade. I have searched and did not find anything on how to increase the tension, does anyone have any directions for that??
adamsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:14 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adamsfamily

our shades do not stay or they sag to one side, the night shade in the back wont stay up when we push up the day shade. I have searched and did not find anything on how to increase the tension, does anyone have any directions for that??
If yours are like mine (I'm guessing they are), there are little plastic spools at the end of each string that you can turn in the direction that will tend to wind the string on the spool. To do this, loosen the screw holding the spool, turn the spool to add tension, then tighten the screw. CAUTION: Don't over tighten the screws. You will strip the screw hole and will need to use some toothpicks and Elmer's glue to repair the hole.

Hope this helps.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Assuming that yours are like mine, you should see a small clear plastic spool or bobbin at the lower corner of each shade. These can be used to adjust the tension. The way I do it is to remove the bobbin, (the shade will then fall all the way down). You should find a little hole in the side of the bobbin, thread the cords through that hole and refasten it too the wall, but not tightly. Take up most of the slack, then turn the bobbin until the cord become tight. With trial and error, you should be able to fine tune the tension, so that the blinds just stay up without being too tight to move easily.

Another common problem with these blinds is that the cords become frayed and have to be replaced. Here is a link to some photos I took of the cord replacement process. Day/night shades

On edit, I see Orv gave you much the same answer before I got mine posted.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #13
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I haven't had any problems since I put small screws in the end caps
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

Assuming that yours are like mine, you should see a small clear plastic spool or bobbin at the lower corner of each shade. These can be used to adjust the tension. The way I do it is to remove the bobbin, (the shade will then fall all the way down). You should find a little hole in the side of the bobbin, thread the cords through that hole and refasten it too the wall, but not tightly. Take up most of the slack, then turn the bobbin until the cord become tight. With trial and error, you should be able to fine tune the tension, so that the blinds just stay up without being too tight to move easily.

Another common problem with these blinds is that the cords become frayed and have to be replaced. Here is a link to some photos I took of the cord replacement process. Day/night shades

On edit, I see Ols1932 gave you much the same answer before I got mine posted.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
adamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #8885
those pics are great on how to replace a frayed cord. It looks like all I need to do is wind up some cord on the bobbin and that should give it more tension. With these great instructions I will let the wife adjust as necessary when needed thanks guys the info got it off my list and onto hers
adamsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

ALL

Can someone help me find where someone posted a diagram of how to restring the day night shades, I can't find it. John has good pic's of the repair, but I just need a diagram so I can print it out for a neighbor here in the park. Sorry to take over your thread but, I need help.