Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
Cracked Xmember Bar

Recently while we were in the LA area we were pulling into our campground and noticed that the front belly of our Montana was about 2" off the bed rails of our truck, not the normal 6-8". After getting unhitched we called Keystone and were told we needed to call Lippert. Lippert told us not to move the RV and they would send out a tech rep to look at the problem. When the tech rep looked up into our pinbox he could see a crack in the middle of the 2"Dx6"Hx88"W front Xmember Bar that runs under your front bedroom closet just across the top of the pinbox. He said it could not be repaired at the campground and it would not be safe to try to take the RV to the Lippert factory in LA. We found an RV repair shop that was just a few miles away, so we SLOWLY drove the RV to the repair shop.
When the front cap was removed, we as well as the tech rep were shocked to see the size of the crack. The crack was 5" long in the 6" high bar. We were told by the tech rep that this crack did not just occur overnight, but took some time to get this way. The entire Xmember Bar had to be replaced, plus some additional triangular gussets and tubes were added at our expense since our Big Sky is a 2004 and the frame is out of warranty. Has anyone else had this crack occur in their Xmember Bar and if so how was it handled by Keystone?

[img][/img]

Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Jack and Ruth, we cannot say specifically that this was our problem but when we went to the factory in Goshen, they tested our frame by lifting the front with a forklift and then scheduled us for an immediate repair. They said they wouldn't let us leave before it was fixed. Our frame was also reinforced by Keystone.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Ruth and Jack,
I have not experienced any cracking or frame flex on my 04. However, I am happy to hear you found this problem while in the campground and not out on the open road when the damage could have been disastrous.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Diamond, I would be on the phone with Keystone and explain the problem. Its very possible you might be able to recover some of your cost of repair. Even if the warranty is out its possible they know about your problem. Its worth a try....GBY....

It Keystone doesn't help, I then would go to Lippert. Someone should stand behing their product????
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Lippert has had many similar problems through out the RV industry with their frames, especially during this time period. It just isn't with Keystone products. We had the dreaded "frame-flex" problem with our 2004. We are still suffering from the poor job Montana did in repairing everything that went wrong because of it.

Good Luck!
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
[IMG]

I'm not sure anyone has had the break that we have had in a frame support beam. Most frame complaints seem to be broken frame welds. Here is a photo of what was discovered when the front nose skin was removed. Keystone/Lippert told us it was out of warranty and our responsibility yet the unit was not even 3 years old. What do you think?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:27 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Why would they take responsibility for broken welds, but not a cracked frame? Strange and irresponsible, I think.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I believe we were told that the frame lippert makes has 5 year warranty on it. So if it is only 3 years old you still have a couple of years to go! I'd question them about this issue. Besides something this serious should be covered for the life of the entire product!

Good luck.

HamRad

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I would also think that this would be covered. Gosh, I am glad they found it before something bad happened. Please keep us update on this.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #10
Ed and Carole
Established Member

M.O.C. #1292
Read more of this frame flex problem in: Technical, problem & Problem Solving under Montana Frame Problen, last posting was April 8thit is on about page 12 to 14.
Ed and Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ed and Carole, I have followed the "frame flex problem" and this one does not come close to any of the problems noted there.
Diamond, This is just not right...the front cross member is a contiguous square tube on my unit. I would be interested to see other views of the cut as it looks to me like it is multiple pieces? Is the other side similar? You also have an "L" channel along the bottom? Is the other side similar?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also had the impression the frame has a 5 year warranty. In any case, I think I'd start moving up the line until I found someone willing to be reasonable. Having this kind of problem on a three year old rig is unacceptable in my opinion.

I'm sure glad you caught this and got it fixed before it became a serious accident, Jack and Ruth.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:12 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
http://www.lci1.com/Service%20Warranties/
LCI%20Mobile%20Home%20and%20RV%20Chassis.pdf

See above for Lippert Frame Warranty.
The NTSB is a good place to report problems such as this.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #14
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
That warranty pretty much covers them, not us!
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #15
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Yup.... If Keystone buys the frame from lippert and keeps in their inventory for 6 months to a year, then the warranty is reduced by that much on the finished unit. That's just about the biggest piece of do-do warranty I've ever had the misfortune to read. Shame on Lippert!
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #16
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Think that Keystone should help keep Lippert's feet to the fire, but sure they won't. We are in Goshen now looking at RVs and doing a lot of factory tours. Unfortunately most mfgrs are using Lippert frames as they are basically the only game in town (in the state). Their poorly constructed frames are well documented in this forum and others. Keystone isn't the only mfgr having problems with them. Think a good attorney would put you in the winner's column, but it will cost $$$ to do it. Good luck.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #17
Ed and Carole
Established Member

M.O.C. #1292
I had the same problem with the forward 2"x6" retangular tubing tear (because of flexing)which caused the four corners of the pin box to tear the front and rear 2"x6" retangular tubes. The rig dropped from 8" to 4" above the truck bed rails. A new 2"x6" tubing was installed along with gussets. After a returning home I notice the caulking on the angle molding seperating on the overhang. The underbelly panels were removed and broken welds, metal fatigue and cracks were found. The new 2"x6" forward tubing flexed 1/2" to 3/4" when the kingpin was raised with the forklift. Everything was re welded, only to find there still is a flex problem, so the rig is sitting in storage as I can not afford to spend any more to repair it again. Keystone(Team Montana)were sent photos and came back not willing to help on anything. Lippert was sent photos of the first occurance but said we were over the 2 year warranty by 6 months. This rig is a 2005 but built in 2004. Being the first failure was more of a safety related defect and was not safe for towing and with still having the flex problem, I have written to Good Sams Action Line and have filed a complaint report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:1-888-327-4236. www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline. I believe with all the problems that Montana owners are having, something will come out in our favor. I sent many of the frame flex topics to nhtsa along with photos and they investage all complants. Once you call in a complaint it takes about 4 week before you get the form to fill out, so this gives you plenty of time to get your paperwork and etc. together. If anyone would like more info, feel free to email me.
Ed and Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #18
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
After much haggling and very poor communication response from Team Montana concerning our cracked Xmember, they finally offered to reimburse us for 50% of our cost to replace the beam. Personally, we feel that either Keystone or Lippert should have reimbursed us for all of it, but at this point, decided that half was better than nothing. Since we accepted this payment, we have spoken with other 2003/2004/2005 Montana owners that have had frame weld breaks, beam bends and breaks, so there seems to have been some definite frame problems during those years. In most cases, unless it is a weld problem, Montana owners have had to bear the brunt of the cost to have beams replaced - typically because Keystone/Lippert claim the frame is out of warranty.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #19
aljolleyjr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #65
I too have a frame/hitch pin problem which I just discovered. I have about an inch clearance between the top of my hitch and the trailer when not hitched up, when I hook up ,the top of my hitch is touching the trailer, which tells me that ther is soom flex in the hitch pin. I called Keystone and they told me that it is out of warranty and they wouldn't do anything about it, and even if it was under warranty they wouldn't fix it because I have a Trailair hitch pin on it. I have an appointment to take it to the dealer and have it checked but it looks like I'm going to have to pay for out of my pocket. It is an 03 3295 Big Sky with less than 20,000 miles towing on it.
aljolleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote