Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #21
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Phil...I think you are playing the devil's advocate on this issue. Page 31 of the brochure says, "MAXIMUM TRAILER RATING: This rating is determined by subtracting the tow vehicle's weight from the GCWR." For this to work, you have to use real weights, certainly not weights given in a manual or found on the internet. My dually had a GCWR of 23,500 and a GVWR of 11,400. Therefore if the TV was at max weight, the tow capacity was 12,100. If the dually weighed in at 10,400, the tow capacity increased 1,000 to 13,100. That formula works for all vehicles and all trailers. My SOB MH has the same formula on a placard behind the driver's seat.

Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #22
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We are talking about limitations not the actual weights. It is agreed that the operating weight would have to be determined on a scale.

Page 3-3 of the Duramax manual states the max trailer weight is 16,300 lbs. that is a rating stated by the manufacturer of the truck. For the short truck it is 16,500 lbs.

The 7,800 lb dry shipping weight for the crew cab with long bed was obtained from GM. Shippers that ship vehicles over seas use this weight because they are not allowed to ship with fuel in them.

Now I agree they don’t make sense. Why would the manufacture state a max weight for the trailer when the operator could not pull the trailer with the truck without exceeding the GCW?

I agree that the crew cab long bed 2009 Duramax will not pull our Montana at the trailer weight rating of 15,905 lbs with out exceeding the GCW and the front axel rating.

We have not ever operated at the GCW but we have been within 500 lbs of it and we were very close to the front axel weight limit. I don’t think we could have loaded an additional 500 lbs in the basement with out exceeding the front axel limit. The rear axel had more than 500 lbs capacity remaining when we were at 23,000 lbs.

So the statement by GM not to exceed the GCW or the truck axel ratings would work. If you loaded a trailer so that 15% of the weight was on the truck then you would reach your GCW before loading the truck to its max capacity and before you would reach the published max trailer weight.

At 25% you would reach the front axel limit before reaching the GCW.

The conclusion is. When using a fifth wheel hitch as long as you don’t exceed the GCW and any axel ratings you will not be over any stated limits.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote