Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #21
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackel1959

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

And just what is the correct information??????
Inquiring minds want to know!
Exactly....

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 AM   #22
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I towed our 3400 with my F250 our first year. My F250 has all the gadgets including airbags. Yes the F250 would pull it, but IMO the 3400 to too much trailer for a 3/4 ton truck. I was very unsatisfied with stopping and handling ability. The tail was wagging the dog, sort of speak. Half way thru our first big trip with the 3400 I told the wife we had to start thinking seriously about a truck better suited to pull the 3400.

I know I have more than enough truck now for the 3400, and if we ever decide we no longer want to have the Jeep as part of our setup, I will downgrade to F450. Personally I doubt I would go any smaller. I know I will never pull the 3400 with a 3/4 ton again. It is not worth the stress.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #23
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
My last add on to my F250 7.3 2002 was a B&D Torque Lock and a B&D Exhaust Brake. What a differance, well worth the cost.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #24
Tom_Holsinger
Established Member

M.O.C. #10492
That was very helpful, Red. I reposted it on the RV.net tow vehicle forum.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Red939

Okay, here's the correct information. About two years ago a MOC lawyer made a post on weights and being over weight that seemed to me, being a layman, to have lots of good information. I saved that post, but did not copy the author's screen name, maybe somebody with some computer skills can do some research and find it. Here's his post verbatim:

"My professional career has spanned a great number of years in the legal field...I offer the following comments as suggestions as to what I believe to be the best course of action regarding tow vehicles. This information is not to be considered a "legal opinion," and, please do not send me emails or PMs requesting more information or technical questions.

I have read a number of threads and posts regarding members asking questions about tow vehicles and various weight issues, and believe some guidance/suggestions might be appreciated. Many of the responses are incorrect, misleading and, whether or not intended, quite deceiving. The good people asking these questions are seeking answers to what they perceive to be very confusing and complex issues. One of the problems is that many members posting have no knowledge of the subject matter, and are regurgitating what an RV or truck salesman has told them regarding TVs. Although their intentions are good, and they might have been using a particular TV without problems for a while, these members should not offer information on a subject in which they have virtually no knowledge. Much of this information is totally incorrect.

If you should have the misfortune of being in a court of law as a result of a motor vehicle accident involving a truck/RV combination, and the weight of your TV and/or RV comes into question...both vehicles should be within ALL the manufacturer's specifications as noted on the appropriate stickers attached to the vehicles and/or located on the equipment. These include combined weight, gross weight, tire capacity, axle capacity, hitch capacity, pin capacity (MorRyde), etc. You can add any thing you desire in the form of big tires, larger axles, air bags, extra springs, bigger shocks, none of which will affect the stickers on the vehicles upon which they are mounted. Should any part of any of your vehicles exceed the manufacturer's ratings, you will have a very difficult time convincing the court that it is okay to be over those ratings. A great number of posters like to say that their vehicle "pulls fine"...which is okay, but (excuse the pun) that reasoning will not carry much weight in a court of law.

If you have added something to a truck or RV that you believe truly increases capacity...such as axles, not air bags...get some type of documentation from the manufacturer that states your GVWR has been increased. Be advised that some type of written documentation is necessary in order for it to be valid. Keep in mind, however, that just because you have gone from 6k axles to 7k axles (or bigger tires, etc) your GVWR may not be increased due to frame, body or other limitations, that might be known only to the manufacturer.

In summary, it has gone around the Internet that gross weight and combined weight ratings are just suggestions, and can be ignored, whereas tire and axle ratings must be followed. This is totally incorrect information and should not be followed. If you elect to exceed published maximum ratings of any item on either of your vehicles, be prepared to suffer the consequences of that action."

Tom_Holsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
For what it's worth, we've been towing with a F-250 for 11 years. Don't go with anything less than a F-350, RAM 3500, Chevy 3500 or equivalent. The extra size of chassis will be very beneficial. I'm not an engineer or a lawyer or anything like that. However, if you're in an accident I don't think the officials are going to run around picking up everything that's been strewn around the accident scene, take it to a big scale and compare that with your carrying capacity in order to file a lawsuit. Just my opinion.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote