Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Securing the kitchen pantry

Does anyone have any great ideas about securing the kitchen pantry. We have a 3400. In our old trailer we were able to use the refrigerator bars. But this pantry is too wide for those. I have been moving everything around...but each time we travel...things topple over. I have non skid shelf paper, but I am having a problem with taller items. Can't figure out how to attach velcro. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
We also have a 3400 and I am using refrigerator bars so that things will not fall out when I open the doors. The pantry is wide but ours has a support piece in the middle so the bars work fine. If the shelves are full, things can't toppple over, sounds like you need to add more stuff. That probably isn't very helpful, but I honestly haven't had a problem, although, we have only been on two trips in our Montana.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #3
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I read a post that somone put velcro down each sida and made wood bars to go across that would be adjustable
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
I just remembered in our other trailer, I used curtain tension rods when refrigerator bars were not long enough.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We also have the 3400 but have no problem with pantry. We do put velcro ties on the handles when traveling but inside contents stay in place. I have to agree with the "need more stuff" comment. Use rolls of paper towels and toilet paper to make the contents nice & tight. Or if you are a crafter, skeins of yarn also work.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Thanks for the suggestions. I will go out and get more stuff....paper towels.....and of course more crafting supplies that I just have to have when we travel!!! DH will appreciate the suggestions as well!!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I assume you are talking about the pantry along the wall next to the shower and not the overhead above the counter, right? The problem we had was with there being so few shelves in there we had to stack items. They were next to impossible to secure for travel. Our solution was to put shelves in there and therefore not have a lot of things stacked high. With that approach, refrigerator bars work well.

If you mean the overhead cabinet, Vicki makes sure all spaces are filled. In other words, if we have glasses stacked in there but there's an open space (glasses have been taken out and used), then she unstacks enough glasses to fill those void areas. Thus they don't move around. She also uses the nonskid, as you do. And refrigerator bars as added security.

Also, any doors that would be destroyed when opening slides, because we cannot see if they are opened, get strapped closed. Same for any doors holding items that would break if they fell out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Vicki tells me she does not use refrigerator bars in the overhead cupboard. Just filling the voids is enough. She does use them crosswise in the pantry. Here, maybe pictures would help. The wood shelf is just an over the kitchen sink shelf available in kitchen stores, Bed, Bath, and Beyond and the like. It is not fastened down.

This is the center pantry section when in port:

This is the same section when in travel mode. Note the upright refrigerator bars. Also note the cereal boxes in the two sections to fill the void. The items in the other section don't require any special attention.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
We too had the problem and like Steve we added a shelf in between each shelf and have had no problems since. Plus things are a whole lot easier for me to find the goodies that Julie has attempted to hide from me!
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Lock 'n Lock storage containers are an excellent way to create modularized see-through storage for the 3400RL pantry. It is as if they were created especially for that particular space. They have a slight lip on the top which lets them stack well and there is absolutely no wasted space in our pantry. Everything from sugar,flour,coffee,cereals,crackers,dried fruits,noodles whatever will travel safely in the airtight containers. We can get about 3-4 times as much stuff in the pantry with these containers. Have never had anything fall out. AND they seem to deter those wretched mice! Available in the housewares section at WalMart or Target. Pat created a one person run on these once we discovered how great they were.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:23 AM   #11
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Thanks, the pictures really helped. Off to Wally World for containers. I hope there are some left!!!

Marilyn