Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #21
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Help on disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWilsonPE View Post
I just spoke to an engineer at Dexter and he had already heard of the problem with my unit small world. The actuator will go "safe" (dead) if the supply voltage exceeds about 15 volts.

Two actuators that had failed on the production line at Keystone had been returned to him for evaluation with the same issue. He was told that both came from Super Solar Flex units and an installation error had created a ground fault resulting in tripping this "safe" mode. Since they reset on power disconnect the units he got back worked just fine.

He has no idea what the installation issue was, but in my opinion, since Keystone fixed that issue and installed a new actuator and by the time I got there, it had tripped again, this will be an ongoing issue. Not good.

Since there is no reset button on the actuator and you have to undo the wiring to disconnect power and reset the unit, I plan to install a switch (momentary, normally closed, essentially a reset switch) on the power to the actuator to reset it more easily if it happens again. He told me that it should not happen going down the road. If it ever does, the only permanent fix I can come up with is to install a dedicated (9A-Hr minimum) battery for the brake actuator and disconnect it altogether from the Super Solar system. This battery would have to have its own dedicated charger too, uggh. Perhaps even better would be a voltage regulator on the power to the actuator that clips anything over 12 volts.

The Dexter rep took my name and email and will send me the service bulletin on this issue when it comes out and update me on any fix they come up with, such a self-reset or a new design unit that will handle slightly more voltage when it occurs. I told him they should have some mention of this in their service manual as now it says nothing.
Mike and Doreen,

I'd like to help with your brake situation. Please respond to the private message I've sent you.

thanks

Old 12-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #22
Zagsfan

M.O.C. #27679
Better Than Expected!

Morning all,
not even sure how to do this whole posting thing but here goes....New to the 5er world with a 2021 3020rl legacy no paint, with toppers and lp generator. 2020 silverado 3500 SRW, SB, airlift bags and compressor, Anderson ultimate hitch. I'm blown away about how smooth the whole towing experience with this setup!

I've learned a ton from the MOC and will continue to learn more and ask questions but wanted to introduce myself and say thank you for now!

GO ZAGS!
Zagsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #23
CWB
Established Member

M.O.C. #28205
This is for DTH, reference his previous post. Hi, I just purchased a 2021 3121RL Legacy and I also have a 2020 2500HD Silverado. I have only driven the camper home from the dealer but did get the error messages referenced in the GM bulletin you referenced. So a couple of questions: 1) Did you ever get a GM approved fix? 2) If not what controller did you install and how is it working? Thanks in advance. Very frustrating as there was no mention of this issue from the dealer.
CWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:32 PM   #24
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Hello CWB & DTH,

I got nowhere at my Chevy service dept. I did install the HydraStar adapter and it has been working well.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...r/HBA-CAM.html

When I first plug the camper pigtail into the truck now it shows an electric brakes error but then, only a moment later, the gain controller comes up and shows my setting, 50%. It works great, no complaints. I always do a pull test before driving off to be sure everything is working properly.

When I went looking for an adapter, Dexter had just come out with one. Since the actuator is a Dexter I tried to get that one, but an 8 week backlog and I decided on the HydraStar.

I also just got the Chevy trailer tire pressure monitors installed on the camper’s tires, had to have them dismounted, tpm’s installed, re-mounted & balanced. Got that working now too (tire pressure & temp)

Good luck!

Best Regards, Mike
MAWilsonPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:59 PM   #25
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
So GM made the '17 & '18 model's IBC to work with Electric Over Hydraulic Brakes and then lost that technology in the newer year models.
Wonder if there was an issue and if I should be worried, or just a major screw-up and they lost the code for the IBC to function without an adapter.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #26
DTH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26146
CWB
Here is my story. After installing CAM module, it worked most of time. Dealer could not correct. I was able to have three conversations by phone with the Zone Service Manager. I asked for assistance and their support to the dealer. I got no support whatsoever. He never called me back and I had to call him each time. My final visit to the dealer they were able to witness the anomalies but did not know what to attempt to repair. They had had my truck for three weeks.

As I reported previously, I had opened three cases with the GMC support line. No response there either.

My brakes now work wonderfully. My new RAM does a great job with disk brakes and all other aspects of towing my Montana. I have never owned a RAM in my life but I have been really impressed and pleased.

I have always believed any product or service can have difficulty. It is how they treat the customer and correct the problem that really matters. When they respond with silence and inaction, I vote with my feet.

Sorry you are having difficulties. Wish I could give you more help but don't have any answers. Best to you in figuring out how to proceed on the truck.

On the bright side, our 3121 is wonderful and has been completely trouble free. We love it. Have tested its cold weather capabilities with plenty of winter camping. I am sure you will enjoy yours also.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:17 AM   #27
CWB
Established Member

M.O.C. #28205
Mike, thanks for the info on the adapter. I am on the same page logic wise with you on staying with Dexter but I have not found a link to their adapter. You wouldn't have a link you could share by any chance? I might go with the Hydrastar but would like to at least look at the Dexter. Hey I see you are from NC as am I so I might see you at some campgrounds. What color is your truck? I'll keep a look out for you.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:18 AM   #28
CWB
Established Member

M.O.C. #28205
DTH, thanks for the info. Good to hear that your 3121 is performing so well. We are hoping ours does too.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:40 AM   #29
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Hi CWB,

Here is the link to the Dexter adapter:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...le/DX35FR.html

It is almost half the price of the HydraStar. If you go with that one, let us know how you make out.

My truck is black, camper is sterling. We will be camping at Cane Creek in Waxhaw late March, Davidson River in Brevard over Easter weekend (1st boondocking trip, opening weekend for trout!) and then Hunting Island is SC in April. Hope to see you down the road!

Best Regards, Mike
Old 02-23-2021, 06:54 AM   #30
CWB
Established Member

M.O.C. #28205
Mike, thank you for the link. I will definitely keep an eye out for you. I bet your 3121 and truck look great together. My truck is a HC and it's Shadow Grey Metallic and our 3121 is the standard paint with the blue stripes. I will let you know which way I decide to go with the controller. Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:27 AM   #31
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
If you have access to a couple of magnets off of an electric brake setup, you can just tie them between the Blue brake line and ground. GM is just looking for the low resistance of the magnets and that's all the adapters do.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #32
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Mike, I may have missed something, but is the brake issue only a Super Solar/GMC issue? Our Super Solar 3230CK is due off the line 3/11. Our new Ram 3500 LB should be along about the same time. Just curious if this is a Solar installation issue, a vehicle/trailer issue or something that is still being investigated. If it is a vehicle/trailer issue (ie a GMC with Super Solar), down the road if you trade the trailer in the next owner could face the same issue. Sounds dangerous.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:28 AM   #33
CWB
Established Member

M.O.C. #28205
Mike, will probably go with the Hydrastar as I see many more positive reviews. Can you tell me where the actual actuator is located on the 3121? I looked around and it's not obvious where it is and I would like to get an idea of how and where I will mount the adapter. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #34
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Hi Ron,

The initial problem I had when I went to pick up the unit was that the brake actuator did not work at all. It was not a GM IBC compatibility issue. I proved this to the dealer, who kept insisting it was my truck, by pulling the break away pin and the actuator did not come on. I believe this was a problem due to the Super Solar install where, somehow, the actuator saw in excess of 15 volts (not even sure how that is possible, but the battery monitor showed a max voltage history of 20 volts!). This put the actuator into "safe" mode (dead). It could have been reset by disconnecting power (did not know that at the time so the dealer had it replaced and had to deliver the unit to me).

There is definitely a second issue with the newer GM vehicles and their IBC's being incompatible with this actuator. That can be solved with an adapter (or magnets, not really sure how magnets work...)

CWB, the actuator is located in the front storage compartment on the right hand side on the floor. I mounted my adapter on the wall behind it. I will get a pic tonight for posting. You will know when the actuator is working as it makes quite a bit of noise, I can hear it from the driver's seat with the compartment door closed

Also, I read on this forum that these adapters can go bad over time. This is determined by measuring the resistance between the two wires. I got 1000 ohms new. It will drop to 10 or less when bad. So I installed a spade connector in the blue wire so I could disconnect it once in a while and check. (The white wire goes to ground).

Lastly, I always do a pull test before driving off, first with the camper front legs half an inch off the ground to be sure my pin is engaged, and again whenever I stop and get ready to move again to be sure the actuator is working. Just squeeze the IBC manual actuator and try to pull forward (with the window down you will hear the actuator running.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards, Mike
Old 02-23-2021, 11:27 AM   #35
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Mike, do you know if they have identified the issue with the SSF and the actuator? Hopefully there is a fix.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #36
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Ron,

I am not certain that a fix is needed to prevent the actuator from seeing over voltage from the SSF package. I think this was just something that happened during installation and should not happen again once the installation is complete. I have not had the actuator go into "safe" mode since I have had the unit. I am convinced it was a one time event.

Best Regards, Mike
Old 02-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #37
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Mike, good to hear. Re-reading your post it sounded like it happened more than once.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #38
DTH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26146
CWB / Mike,
Wanted to clarify the the final problems I experienced. My GMC went from giving the "service brake system" warnings and brakes sometimes not working to finally causing the center console to go black and stop working completely. No display, no NAV, no cameras, no radio. Last time I left my dealer it was all black and they could not get assistance from GM. Half way home it came back on. Never set a code or gave any electronic trail they could find. I could have gone lemon route but did not want to fight that battle.

Be cautious if you start seeing weird symptoms in your electronics as this in my opinion is related to the EOH brake issue we are discussing. With all these systems integrated, having to introduce the CAM module caused unusual things to happen to mine. I lost confidence that it would function properly.

These advanced trailering systems were a big part of why I bought this truck. Disappointed it did not work out. Still have some concern when I see others having these issues. I hope GM can identify and correct this issue. Best to you guys in getting this resolved.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:24 AM   #39
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
DTH, thanks for letting us know your experience. I will definitely keep an eye on this.

CWB, here is the promised picture of the actuator in the front storage bay. I have not mounted the adapter yet, it is just sitting in the corner.

Best, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Actuator IMG_3058.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	8521  
Old 02-24-2021, 08:32 AM   #40
CWB
Established Member

M.O.C. #28205
DTH and Mike, thank you both for the replies. I plan to install the adapter with the ability to monitor the resistance. Mike thank you for the picture. I don't see any reason it wouldn't be just fine just like you have it (without drilling holes) and will probably do the same thing. Thanks again guys.