Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
NM Tornados

Lonnie B. - how did you all fair last nights storms?

Lorraine

ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
ragdoll,

We got through it ok, with just a few shingles missing, but have friends and aquaintances, that didn't fare as well. It went through Clovis 2 blocks from my Mothers house doing extensive damage to several houses and businesses. It completely demolished several houses, mobile homes, fifth wheels, travel trailers, and at least four businesses. When it left Clovis, it pretty much made a beeline to our house, but fortunately it wasn't on the ground when it got here. It was close enough though, we could hear the air inside the house whistling through any opening it could find leaving the house, sounded like a giant vacuum cleaner. When it was over, we went to town to check on Mom's house, which turned out to be ok, and wound up staying in town until around midnight helping friends remove their valuables and furnishings from their house which had lost the entire roof.
It's very bad in town, with lots of people left homeless, people that could sure use your thoughts and prayers. As of tonight, there has been no loss of life, but a couple of the injured people are in critical condition, with one being airlifted to Lubbock, Tx.
Thank you for your concerne, just one more reason this is the best forum on the i-net.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Lonnie good to hear from you and know you all got through it. From news reports we have kept up to date and our prayers and thoughts have been with all of you down there. Take care, God Bless.

Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
LonnieB, it is very good news to hear that your home and your mother's came through ok. We thought about you when we heard the weather report.

Years ago we pulled into Clovis just as a huge, black cloud moved in from the Northwest. As we waited in the "new" K-Bob steakhouse for our meal--it opened up! All the lights went out and after about an hour and all the salad we could eat, the manager told us there'd be no steaks tonight and all the salad was on the house.

Which reminds me that we 'stumbled' on the 'old' K-Bobs (years before that) when it was in a white frame building and before it became a chain. Boy! Those were the days!

All this to say, we thought of you when we heard about these storms in Clovis. Glad you and your mother are OK.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:51 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
padredw,

You will be happy to know K - Bob's is still standing and open for business. I've heard the food is better than ever, but I haven't been there for several years, so I can't give a first hand report.

The small town of Logan, NM 75 miles north of here, where Ute Lake is located, got hit by a tornado a couple of hours befor Clovis did. There is alot of damage there too. Mostly mobile homes and campers. Fortunately, no lives were lost there either, but sent 3 to the hospital.

It was a very bad day in eastern NM, and I hear we are in for another round of thunderstorms this afternoon and tonight. Hopefully they will be less severe. We have several pictures Vanessa took yesterday, I'll try to get some posted later today.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Glad you are OK. Our prayers for all effected by the storm.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:53 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
I didn't get the pics posted as I said I would, but the Clovis News Journal has some on their website. They initially estimated about 200 houses damaged or destroyed, but have raised that number to around 500 now.

www.cnjonline.com
Old 03-26-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
LonnieB we sure are thankful that you and yours came out of this okay. Our hearts and prayers go out to all the folks in Clovis. Thank you for keeping us updated.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Just an update.

There has now been one fatality as a result of the tornado that hit Clovis. An elderly lady and her son were thrown about 100 feet from their home when it was hit. The lady suffered severe head trauma, and had some internal injuries, which resulted in her death. The son is ok, just beat up quite a bit.
Our community is really showing what it's made of. People helping complete strangers any way they can, volunteer cleanup crews everywhere, and several businesses are donating all they can in building supplies, and equipment. The city landfill even waived the dumping fees until everything is cleaned up.
We get a few tornados every year, but this is the first time since 1944 that one actually struck the city, and the worst one we have ever had. Hopefully, it will be a very long time before there is another.
Thank you all for your concern, thoughts, and prayers.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:57 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Lonnie, sorry to hear that the storm took a life. We all just cower when severe weather hits us in 'Tornado Alley', you just have to hope for the best.
Take care, Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote