Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
What kind of hitch?

I asked the dealers opinion of an air ride hitch. He says save your money, a Reese hitch with a MorRyde pin box will do the same thing. What say you guys?

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Said it a few times before here

IF, we knew then, what we know now

AIR HITCH!! all the way. NOT an air pin, not a MorRyde. AIR HITCH!

Now, that said, if you think you are gonna only tow a few times a year and only for a few years, and then give it up, it would be VERY hard to spend that kind of coin.

IF, however, you are gonna full time, or serious long time, and you hope to do this for MANY MANY MANY MOONS! Welp, AIR HITCH!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The dealer will sell you what he has. If I were you, I'd do some research on the different types of air ride hitches. A lot depends on how much you're going to be on the road. Weekend campers 5-6 times a year can get by with a solid Reese or Drawtite hitch. But if you're going to be putting 15-20,000 miles a year on the road, then by all means go air ride. They're costly (compared to the Reese) but they're worth every penny. I have the TrailerSaver hitch by Hensley. Best money I've spent when it comes to a hitch.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:36 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When we are rolling down the highway and hit an unexpected bump, or dip in the road, I glance in the rear view mirror and see the air bags on our Husky hitch float up and down absorbing the shock, and just grin..........
I have around 6500 miles on it now, and will never be without the air ride, we have hit some severe bumps.
I haven't had other hitches, but can tell you the two Firestone air bags in mine are top notch.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Here's the consensus from the RV Forum: If you are going to have the hitch a long time and trade campers, get the air hitch. If you are going to have the camper a long time, get the air pin box. The hitch is probably a bit better, but costs twice as much as the air pin box...which will do the job.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
The_McCullochs
Established Member

M.O.C. #6068
As happy owners/users of the EasyRider air-suspension hitch, we've never regretted buying one.

Ozz said it well, and his only has 2 air bags vs. our 4 bags and 2 shock absorbers!

The pin boxes are the only option for those with short-bed trucks since the air-suspension hitches won't slide...
The_McCullochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My Husky is a slider, that may not be the rule, maybe the execption, but you know with the new '07 cap design, I have never had to use the slider.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The Huskey has a slider ($2,600) and so does Trailer Saver now ($3,600 w/automatic release) - so us shorties aren't stuck with the pin you might say.

Carol - I can't tell from you profile what air hitch you have?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I called RBW, who makes my 16k Husky...for $1400, they'd be happy to sell me whatever is necessary in the way of parts to make my hitch an air hitch.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Brad

Don't have air hitch have:

Isolator Pin Box (it is in my sig line, buried, but there )

And are glad for it!!! However, it is no air hitch, thus my comments,

"IF, we knew then, what we know NOW."

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Before we went on our most recent trip from New York to Florida, a friend offered to lend me his TrailerSaver Hitch. At first I was hesitant, but decided to take him up on his offer. After doing so, I'm going to have a hard time going back to my old hitch. It truly irons out a lot of the shock. We left items out on the bath sink, hand soap, toothbrush holder etc.,things we usually put away, and most everything stayed in place, without securing them. It handled the bumpiest roads (I-88). This tells me that it is taking a lot of the shock off the frame of the unit. One of the hardest things to get used to is looking in the mirror and seeing the trailer floating up and down. I have no experience with any pin box applications, so I can't comment on that. However, after seeing this hitch perform, anyone doing long trips of any kind, should seriously look into this hitch as it is truly worth it's cost.

Al
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TheCoachPotatoes

Before we went on our most recent trip from New York to Florida, a friend offered to lend me his TrailerSaver Hitch. At first I was hesitant, but decided to take him up on his offer. After doing so, I'm going to have a hard time going back to my old hitch. It truly irons out a lot of the shock. We left items out on the bath sink, hand soap, toothbrush holder etc.,things we usually put away, and most everything stayed in place, without securing them. It handled the bumpiest roads (I-88). This tells me that it is taking a lot of the shock off the frame of the unit. One of the hardest things to get used to is looking in the mirror and seeing the trailer floating up and down. I have no experience with any pin box applications, so I can't comment on that. However, after seeing this hitch perform, anyone doing long trips of any kind, should seriously look into this hitch as it is truly worth it's cost.

Al
Ditto. Our three years of experience with this hitch backs up everything you have said, Al.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #13
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
We have the TRAILER SAVER also and I agree 1000% with everyone has said. Would not tow with anything else. Like OZZ said just watch the 5ver float behind you.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote