Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Tacoma Tire

Does anybody out there have the web site for TACOMA Tire sure would love to have it. Thanks in advance.

TT2

Old 06-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
There may be a looming problem.

I Googled “Tacoma Tires,” and got http://www.tacomatires.com/tires.htm

But the domain name is for sale.

They want $2600 for it. Can’t imagine who’d buy it, if not the makers of Tacoma Tires.

Well, maybe a lamely, (and yet-to-be-) named tire shop in Tacoma, WA….

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #3
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I read somwhere that Tacoma is an OEM division of Cooper tire. Yoy may want to contact them. I believe there is a manufacturer # on the tire that can be linked to a tire manufacturer database.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Tacoma is or was mfgd by Cooper. If the Tacoma is no longer available Cooper does have the same exact tire in their line up. I did have the Cooper name for the tire but am unable to find it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Tacoma Tires were manufactured by Cooper for a distributor called Parrish Tire Company in North Carolina. I contacted Parrish Tire last fall and they advised me that Tacoma tires are no longer being manufactured by Cooper or anyone else and are no longer available for sale.

I will be replacing my Tacomas with either Goodyear or Michelin RV tires before travelling very far.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:55 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I spent 15 years in the tire business as both service/sales manager and owner. My brother and nephew are still operating the same tire shop where I was a founder and partner. Adams Tire and Battery Service
I have over 2 1/2 years on my Tacoma tires and with the exception of a flat caused by a screw have had absolutely NO problems. Just because the Tacoma is not a major brand does not make it a bad tire. In fact it is as good as any other brand including the majors.
BTW--For those having LT245/75R16 E rated on their TV such as the 2500HD. At 80 PSI these tires carry the exact same load capacity as the LT235/85R16 E that are on our Montys. When the time comes to replace the Montys tires I will instead replace the 4 tires on the TV when they are about 1/2 worn. I will than take the 4 half worn TV tires and put them on the Monty. The ONLY difference between the 2 sizes has to do with the "aspect ratio". I'm not even going to try to explain "aspect ratio" except to say the 245's are just a tad wider and a tad less in diameter, maybe 1/2" both ways. Other than that there is absolutely no difference and yes the Montys rims are wide enough to accept the little bit wider TV tires. By doing this I will always have good serviceable tires on the Monty while only having to pay a mounting, balance charge.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:41 AM   #7
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Glenn,
Thanks for the explanation. I understand the slight difference in the tires' profiles and that it is not significant for mounting purposes. Are the trailer tires more expensive? Otherwise, why move the truck tires? I can think of a couple of reasons, but don't know if they're correct.
1) Truck tires are cheaper for the same product.
2) You prefer to have the newer tires on the truck; more tread on the truck tires and less opportunity for the elements to degrade the trailer tires before they need replacing.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:56 AM   #8
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Glenn ... I am a big fan of Cooper Tires (have run them on all our Jeeps). If they produced an RV tire, I would likely buy it. The fact that Cooper produced Tacomas does give me a sense of confidence. We will likely run the Tacomas so long as we travel close to home but, when we start more extended trips, will likely change to a name brand like Goodyear or Michelin because of their wide-spread availability. I am not confident that Parrish Tire in North Carolina is going to effectively deal with a problem on a Tacoma Tire if I am off in Keystone, South Dakota.

Bill
Old 06-22-2006, 07:05 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
While we're in the "Ask Glenn" corner...

Glenn, I'm not real solid yet on the answers to my question on upgrading the 245 stock tire on my 2002 GMC 2500 to 265s. The truck came from the dealership (124K miles) with brand new 265 Coopers. Am I hurting anything? GM says don't do it, but thousands do it anyway. GM is apparently so adamant about it that they do not list ANY other tire size for the 2500 (2002, anyway) anywhere, and they specifically state that they will not offer any calibration software/gearing that would lend support to anyone attempting to do this. What's up with that?

Also, in staying with this thread (Whoa! Can't believe I'm doing that...), are Montanas still coming out of the plant with Tacomas?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:24 AM   #10
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Dave ...

Have friends who just took delivery of a 2006 3475RL ... came with Mission Tires. I think that is what Rich & Helen got on theirs as well.

Bill
Old 06-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #11
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Afternoon All,

We took delivery of our 3400RL in November of last year. It had Mission ST235 tires rather than LT245 tires. And there is a significant difference. As a matter of fact, it says right on the tires that they are for trailer use only.

According to Goodyear, ST tires are made with stronger sidewalls than LT tires. These stronger sidewalls reduce the amount of sway or wag (in part caused by side to side tire flexing) that typically occurs with trailers - this is a good thing for trailers. ST tires typically also come with less tread depth allowing them to run cooler, but as a result you get less total mileage per tire - but who has had to replace at trailer tire because the tread wore off?

However, both of these differences reduces the tire tread's ability to stay on the ground as the tire goes into turns - this is a bad thing if the ST tire is on the steering axle such as on a TV.

Many or the trailer manufacturers are now switching to ST tires and away for the LT's (example is Keystone) now that the ST's are coming in higher load ratings. For example the ST235's coming on the Monty's are rated at 3500# per tire when pressured to 80 psi.

You can now run less pressure - say 75# per tire - and still have plenty of load capacity, the trailer will not ride quite as harshly, and you have a tad better immunity against road hazards.

Running ST tires seems like a pretty good idea for trailers, but not for TV's.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:25 AM   #12
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Glen;I wan to trade up from 15" wheels to 16". I have about 3 1/2 inches between tires. can I find a lower profile 16 that I can use because I want the higher load range , What's your recomenation ? DAVE
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

When the time comes to replace the Montys tires I will instead replace the 4 tires on the TV when they are about 1/2 worn. I will than take the 4 half worn TV tires and put them on the Monty. The ONLY difference between the 2 sizes has to do with the "aspect ratio". I'm not even going to try to explain "aspect ratio" except to say the 245's are just a tad wider and a tad less in diameter, maybe 1/2" both ways. Other than that there is absolutely no difference and yes the Montys rims are wide enough to accept the little bit wider TV tires. By doing this I will always have good serviceable tires on the Monty while only having to pay a mounting, balance charge.
Glenn,
Are you sure this is a good way to go? I don't believe I'd want to put tires on my Monty that are already over 2 years old. I remember going to an RV tire seminar where it was mentioned that we should replace our RV tires when they are about 5 or 6 years old since the life of a tire is only 7 years from date of manufacture. The tread really is not the governing factor about whether or not a tire is good, although it does give us some guidance.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #14
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Hey out there, I was sure someone would jump on me for suggesting it was better to run the Mission ST tires at less than 80 psi.

If anyone is interested, I have a tire load table somewhere that shows the load carrying capacity vs. PSI for the ST tires now being used on the new Montys. According to these specs, it is no longer necessary to run the trailer tires as close to their max PSI since these new tires are rated at 3,500# at 80 PSI. Don't forget that the Monty axles are rated at only 6,000# or 3,000# per tire. The LT 245's are rated only at 3,042# at 80 PSI - I think that's right.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote