Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2006, 03:47 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
After market "accessories" for a 3400

My wife and I ordered our Montana last weekend, a 3400. It will take 10 weeks to get here, we were told. We are brand new to RVing. We will be living in the trailer full time for a year while we build a new home. We know we are going to need to buy additional items for the trailer (e.g., water supply filter/pressure regulator, tire covers, kingpin stabilizer, etc.) We would love to hear from the experts out there regarding what we need to buy and where to buy it. Thanks for any advice.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:12 AM   #2
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Wow! thats a tall order! However, I am sure it can be filled!! Many of what you are asking about has already been touched on once or twice on the forum. If you don't get all of you questions answered on this thread, be sure and check with the "search".

We found that alot of what you will need, to at least start out can be found at most RV Supply store, Camping world is pretty popular. I also found myself going to several "storage" type stores for products to help with saving room and organizing. Now I know you are probably looking for more of the equipment type answers, so I'll leave that to those that know more about it than I, my husband just bought and installed an Air-ride and loves it, I'm sure he & others will jump right in. Happy travels!

Joy T.
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:55 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Blocks,
wheel chalks,
pressure regulator,
water filter,
bal-chocks for the wheels (they push against each wheel to help stabilize the 5er), JTRV.com staiblizer jacks instead of a kingpin stabilizer (IMHO),
2 good drinking water hoses,
1 grey water hose to back flush,
50 amp to 30 amp adapter (you may not need this if you are living in it for a year and not moving),
cable or satellite dish,
hose washers,
an extended stay propane hose kit so that you can hook up your small cannister type bbq to your onboard propane tanks, window tinting film for the shower bubble window (to keep the sun from waking up your spouse or you, when in bed),
a couple of foam padding inserts for the fan openings, again to reduce heat and glare,
a good sewer hookup kit (I chose blue-line with the clear adapter so that I can see the waste as it is draining),
Calgon and Envirochem for the holding tanks,
a bottle of bleach to sanitize fresh water tank (just use a capful at a time - not the whole bottle),
Sterilite containers to put all this stuff in (they fit great in the front compartment),
an indoor/outdoor temperature station (Wally World for about $30),
rubber gloves for hooking up/disconnecting your sewer (I bought a box of disposable Nitrile gloves)
trailer wheel covers to keep the sun from aging your 5er tires
step ladder
fabric bins (small and at Wally World for a few bucks - they fit really well in the overhead cabinets
fabric to put in all the cabinets and drawers to keep things from slipping - you know dish fabric a couple of bucks,
extension cord for inside (we swapped the couch and recliners, and need the cord for the outlet that the couch is now blocking),
plug-in Power meter to determine if your power (voltage) is sufficient,
bubble level to put on counter inside to make sure you are level side to side and front to back (since you're not moving)
Torque wrench and air compressor (more for those on the go, but you should check your lug nuts when you move)
small toolkit for inside and another, larger one for outside
Battery operated drill motor/screw driver - 18 volt ones are good
bungee cords
carpet to wrap around your outside steps - not just for dirt, but incase you have a pet whose nails might get caught in the small holes in the steps,
carpet runners for the inside between the front door and the rear of the 5er, again to save your installed carpet
Good flashlight with extra batteries
Sleep comfort mattress or foam or something for the bed - the mattress that came with ours was horrible
All your normal cleaning supplies
A battery operated agitator brush for your inside vacuum - cost about $150 from the company who makes the vacuums for Dometic (you can get the info on this forum)

And, I almost forgot, your favorite cocktail to enjoy when you are done setting up your 3400 for the first time!

I probably forgot some things, but this may get you started - I'm sure others will be along to ppitch in their experience.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Whew, Michael that's a list.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm exhausted! And my fingers hurt just from thinking about typing that...

Good list - I'm printing it off. Thanks, Michael!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
drjjj - I really like "SNFEXPRESS's" list. However, I have been doing this for some 25 years off and on and still buy things every month. I have almost been forbidden to stop at a Camping World or use the computer for fear of ordering on line. Of course, there are essentials and the list provided gives a great start. Happy RVing!
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
What Michael said!!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dont forget the most important thing... Enjoyment! I cannot think of a better way to spend a day, week, or year than in a rv. Congrats on your new 3400RL.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Oh and one more thing - ditch the building of the house and just go on the road! Like Montana Sky said - enjoy your home on wheels!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:26 AM   #10
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Sounds like you will be Full timing in one spot while your home is being built? If I where to be there a year I'd go for a deck first thing, a 250# LP tank, hard connections for sewer, block it up, and install skirting. Kind of takes the fun right out of camping but those things would give you more of a home feeling!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:15 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
... also save money on propane cost and energy use in general...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:15 PM   #12
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
You can also buy supplies at Wally World. They tend to be a little cheaper there.
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote