Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #61
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Levi or Harry and Etta I liked your post and I must make just one comment. I don't think it matters if it is a Christian society or a mud hut in Africa. Guns are the choice of weapon for a reason. Guns in general are probably the best choice for inflicting the most damage in a short period of time with out worrying about blowing yourself to pieces. Guns of all kinds are very efficient. The problem I see and I feel that you covered is the basic issue of people wanting to hurt or kill other people that they don't like or agree with. A good example is China or Japan where you have people stabbing and cutting people with knifes/machetes etc or poison gas on trains. Bottom line is it is the people not the weapons that they use. Archie Bunker stated in an old All In The Family something about if guns are outlawed the amount of people falling out of high rise building was going to increase substantially and that would make a huge mess.

Unfortunately there are to many defective people who act out on their own or are easily manipulated by others who have a demented grudge against other citizens or other religions etc.

Tom Marty

Old 12-09-2015, 01:58 AM   #62
levi
Established Member

M.O.C. #14689
Dam worker, 10-4
levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:16 AM   #63
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We hear ban assault rifles. That may not be such a good idea. The AR 15 like your semi auto shotgun and a bolt action rifle you can buy any part of it with one exception the receiver. The receiver for the ARs can be bought as semifinished and then finished by anyone with a drill press in a few minutes. Then you have an unregistered AR. When they are banned and I don't know why they haven't been the receiver is easy to just make. You can get the blueprints on line, buy an old junker CNC mill for $10000 a CAD CAM program for under $2000. Any body that likes computer games would have a ball leading how to use the CAD CAM program and a year you would be spitting them out by the hundreds. I could tell the guy that does my programming to make the receivers and he could get started today. There are a dozen machine shops within 10 miles of me that could do a better job or making them than we could. Some body across the country would make them. They already do and without serial numbers. We have no way to track them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #64
levi
Established Member

M.O.C. #14689
They keep revealing more and more information regarding the pair of shooters in last week's massacre in California. Bravo for our law enforcement, on every level, who work long, hard hours, sometimes with little gratitude. I wonder if the fellow who purchased the rifles used in the shooting will be held accountable. How could he NOT have known that they were up to something?
Old 12-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #65
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
I am a law enforcement officer who has been in the field for 34 years. I carry a firearm for a living and in my 5er. I train at the range and train in active shooter incidents. I want to say if you own a gun or choose to own a gun. Do a couple things. Learn how to shoot it and operate it. If the police show up during a terrorist or active shooter. Put the gunndown or raise your hands until we can determine your not the threat. In these cases it is difficult to determine the bad guy from the good. We are taught to go to the shooter and take them out. I have no problem with my fellow citizen to be armed but don't want to mistake you for a bad guy. For our Canadian friend I would surely come to your aide as I would for anyone. When I retire I will be traveling with my firearm with proper permits. I am not going to be a victim! So if you have a firearm not what your doing and have a plan. I know I will be in the minority but I think everyone should have to take a class on how to shoot the weapon they choose and understand all legal ramifications and look at photographs of the carnage a weapon can do to the human body. Enough on this subject. Not going to debate gun control or what ever because I won't change anyone's mind.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:06 AM   #66
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Mike, first , thank you for your service to your community or state, great post.
I am a big supporter for our police , I think more and more folks are, in today's screwed up world. But unfortunately there seems to be an uprising against the Police from people that call 911 the quickest.
I work with the Police in my community as a Block Watch lead. Communication between neighbors about the neighborhoods they live in is a great help to the Police, you can head off a problem before it gets to the volatile stage, also if the Police would have been notified in California by the woman that saw suspicious activity in that garage that turned out to be a bomb factory, the shooting could have been curtailed.
Stay safe.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:26 AM   #67
levi
Established Member

M.O.C. #14689
Thank you, Mike. If someone were interested in carrying in their RV, and they travel across state lines, where would the best website address be found to understand the laws of each state regarding firearms for personal use? Also, I know that if you cross the border into Canada, and you have a firearm on board, do not forget to declare it!
Old 12-10-2015, 02:32 AM   #68
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Good post Mike. Before I retired in 2010 from the Illinois State Police they were just starting active Shooter Training. I was still in a UC roll in a narcotics task force so I did not take all the training. The transition from "on duty" status to being retired is a process. It took me a couple of years to fully transition. While I carry almost all of the time it is now more for my families protection and my own. There still could be an extreme situation where I would try to assist someone else in a life and death situation, but I would be much more cautious now than before I was retired.

Just to add to what Ozz said, with all the negative press about LE lately, 99% of the citizens out there know and understand that most of our officers are out there doing their jobs protecting us. An old retired city cop told me this back in the 70's when I started my career "if you want good pay, regular hours, and credit for a job well done then you need to go someplace else". I found out that he was pretty spot on.

But like Ozz, I know I sleep better at night knowing that my brothers in blue are still out there risking their lives for us every single night. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #69
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Fhttp://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_information.html. Levi and Jand C thanks. Levi I googled carry and concealed by state. A few different things came up. Not sure if this is the best but appeared to have what folks ask for. Canada has different laws and not even sure they will allow you to come in with a weapon.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #70
levi
Established Member

M.O.C. #14689
Mike, I recently crossed into New Brunswick from Maine at the Holton crossing. I had a lengthy discussion with the authorities there on the Canadian side. If one is going to be in the country for a short time (i.e., traveling to Newfoundland to hunt moose) there is a process in place that is relatively simple to comply with in order to transport your personal firearms. If, however, you are moving into Canada, and own multiple firearms, and want to bring them with you to be stored in a private home indefinitely, that seriously complicates the process.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #71
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Thanks for the info Levi. I live 16 miles from Canadian border in Bellingham, WA. Wasn't sure. I once was going to a police function in Bancouver and they asked if I was bringing a gun. I said I was not. Canadian customs pulled me over and searched my vehicle. Figured since they have stricter gun laws than us figured they would take them. Thanks again
Old 12-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #72
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Mike117 perhaps the US Consulate in Ottawa Canada's website will give you insight into regulations regarding bringing firearms into Canada. In no case will you be issued an Authorization to Transport a "Restricted Firearm" for the purpose of hunting or self protection. (see restricted weapons)
Many American hunters bring rifles and shotguns into Canada, as do those attending shooting competitions, but please do not get caught with one that you have not declared.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/travelin...to-canada.html

levi: To answer the question in your original post, I do not consider the possibility of those events happening when I am deciding where I travel in North America and refuse to be controlled by the cloud of fear under which the terrorists would have us live our day to day lives.

I echo the comments with respect to our Police Forces and Intelligence Agencies, they are doing a great job with few exceptions.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #73
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Iripguy. Thanks I don't plan on taking a gun or traveling in Canada with or without a gun. Beautiful country and great people. I meet them at Costco all the time.