Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
Portable Generator(s)

So for all of us who passed on the option of a built-in generator, what would be the things I should look for in a portable generator? Is the idea to get enough watts to power what I need? Gas vs. propane? At least one receptacle of 120V? What would a 12VDC receptacle be used for? I guess you use the 50A power cable and step it down to 30A or a 15A cable? What if you have a power management system built in? Any precautions? Boondocking vs. a general power outage - is there a difference? What is this "link cable" between 2 generators for? Why not get just one bigger one? I would be using it for a power outage. I would be keeping it in the area where the built-in would be housed.

astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by astrungis

So for all of us who passed on the option of a built-in generator, what would be the things I should look for in a portable generator? Weight consideration for loading and unloading to back of truck or storage compartment. Is the idea to get enough watts to power what I need? Gas generators are more efficient that propane. Gas vs. propane? At least one receptacle of 120V? What would a 12VDC receptacle be used for? Charging batteries or running water pump if boondocking. I guess you use the 50A power cable and step it down to 30A or a 15A cable? Correct. What if you have a power management system built in? Then the 120vac common and ground have to be strapped together. Per SNFEXPRESS I built a 15Amp 120vac plug that plugs into the 15amp receptical on my Honda 2000 companion just for that purpose. Any precautions? Boondocking vs. a general power outage - is there a difference? What is this "link cable" between 2 generators for? Each Honda 2000 produces 13 amps of 120vac power. When cabled together they are synchronized so the sinusodial wave is matched 60 Hz and 13 + 13 = 26 amps at 120vac or 3600 watts. Why not get just one bigger one? Weight to lift into transport compartment. I would be using it for a power outage. I would be keeping it in the area where the built-in would be housed.
My two generators will power one AC. One will make coffee or run the microwave. I do have to be selective and not over load it.
I hope my short answers help.
Good luck and safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
If you have the EMS in your unit make a short extension cord and one plug will have to be ground neutral bonded. The white and ground wire have to joined with a jumper or your EMS will not let power through. When hooked up to park power their power supply is ground neutral bonded so we do not have to worry about it.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
i guess i would ask you how much do you want to supply on your rig? the 2000 watt honda (about $1000) is great for most things, a little loud and at it's peak when running the fireplace though. Yahama has similar models too.

you can always do 2 2000 watt hondas or bigger. as they get bigger they get heavier though.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The big problem with getting it all in one generator is that the generator is then heavier than most of us want to move around. We use two Honda's and as John says we can do most of what we want to do. As Don says, if you have a built in EMS then you have a little more work to do. The other advantage of the two Honda's is that you then have portable power you can use wherever you need it and it's not hard to move it around. Our generators are used more for other things than for power for the Monty, but they are there when we need them to power the Monty.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Yup, what Dick said. It's a lot easier moving 42lbs around (each Honda 2000i, we have 2) than one larger gen. We can take one or two depending on need.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I have a Honda 3000, and as others have said, it is heavy. It will supply up to 23amps and run at full load for 12 hours + on a full tank. It will power 1, 15,000 BTU a/c unit and still have a little more to give. No microwave, vacuum, or coffee pot while the a/c is running. The eu3000i is also electric start, which my wife prefers.

The Yamaha's are nice also

Parallel cables are used to connect two like units together and combine the power output.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
astungis.
I just reread your comment, and no one answered one question on the outlets: "At least one receptacle of 120V? What would a 12VDC receptacle be used for? I guess you use the 50A power cable and step it down to 30A or a 15A cable?" So you've obviousily look at a generator.
About what do you do with the 12VDC outlet. When I got my generator (Honda), the retailer told me the 12VDC does NOT charge batteries very well, get a 120VAC charger.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
As you stated, if you are going to put it in the area were the factory designed it to be, then weight is not an issue. If you are not going to be moving it around, buy as big as your wallet will handle. Or have a dealer install a Onan and be done with it. Alot of us use ours for other usages as well, so mobility is handy.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As an additional note, if you go with a gasoline generator, it is fine to transport it in the generator department, however, unless you do some exhaust piping installation, do not run the generator in that compartment. Exhaust and Carbon Monoxide are not good things to have seeping into your living quarters which are directly over the compartment.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
How do you intend to use it? I wrestled with this question for several months before I finally decided how to proceed. I wanted enough generator but not too much.

I agree if you are going to have to move it around then smaller/lighter is better. But you also have to think about how you are going to secure it so that it does not sprout legs and walk off.

With portables I would also stick with the inverter type generators. Cleaner power. Almost everything has an electrical board and these boards are picky. They only like clean power. Most contractor type generators are noisy and do not provide clean power. Power tools are not picky, computers, TVs & A/Cs are.

What do you think you are going to want to run? If you are going to want to run a A/C you really need a minimum of 3000w. Your A/C can run on 2000w but the compressor needs more for start up. Not having enough power will shorten the life of your A/C. You just mainly want to run the coffee pot and recharge the batteries a 2000w should be fine. Just recharging the batteries you might be fine with just a 1000w.

I went with a Honda 3000is. Here is my rational on why I felt this works best for my needs.

* It is big enough to run at least 1 A/C. Our only boondocking is blacktop boondocking or overnighting at camp Wal*Mart when we have consecutive travel days.

* I knew it was going to be mounted to the truck since we would primarily use it in a parking lot and I did not want for it to be easy to take off with. So the 3000w was better than 2 2000w since they are easier to walk off with. Mine is mounted behind the fairing and is not visible (of course you can hear it running).

* In ECO mode it will run all night. Full throttle will be a little tight. With the A/C I would take it off ECO and the thought of having to refuel overnight is not really an idea plan. Will be installing a external fuel tank system with 2x or 3x the fuel capacity of the stock fuel tank before next trip.

* I can add a 2nd 3000is if I find the single one is not enough. I have the room to mount it. 2 will give me enough power to power both A/C units. A 2nd unit also gives you a backup if one is acting up. I doubt I will need the 2nd one but it is a option.

Why a Honda over other similar generators? The others have very favorable user reviews just like the Honda's and are almost always cheaper but the Honda is the only one that when I was looking offered the ability to link multiple generators by the manufacture. It is being done with the others but it is hard to find it actually supported by the manufacture. Most require you build your own parallel kit/cables, Honda sells them. Honda's also have a stellar reputation. There are now some kits that will allow you to link 3 2000w units. I don't think it is a Honda kit but something to consider if you are wanting to scale your power based on needs.

We just returned from a 9 night trip. 3 of those nights were not in a campground and we ran the generator all night. Used a total of less than 10 gallons of fuel with approximately a total of 30 hours run time. 12 hours being the longest stop. Each night the generator ran all night with out needing refueling. On the 12 hour night the tank was almost empty but I think we still had enough for another hour or so. Each night we ran a space heater in addition to the furnace (overnight lows in upper 20s). Fridge on A/C. Hot water heater was on propane but I think we could have ran it electric. Plus ran the microwave for meals as well a hairdryer (huge energy hog) after morning shower. Plus lights and anything else needed.

We have a hardwired 2800w inverter that will switch from shore power/generator to inverter if we drop power. We did have it kick the inverter on when a big load came on-line and the generator was throttled down. The inverter would kick over before the EMS would kick over. Once the generator would spool up the inverter would drop out and we would be back on generator. Typically less than 3~5 seconds.

That has been our experience so far. Your mileage may very. I am glad I took the time to really think about how we would use and need a generator before jumping in. Very happy so far.

One more thing. I strongly suggest a ethanol stabilizer be added to your fuel if you generator sits for long periods of time. A bottle that treats 5 gallons is less than $1.50 at home depot. Regardless of how fast I think I might use the fuel I will drop a bottle in the gas can every time I fill it up.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote