Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #21
Majorpolk
Established Member

M.O.C. #19958
We place a lingerie bag with mothballs in it on top of the tires on each side. No more mice.

Majorpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #22
Best Life

M.O.C. #25711
Mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post
I live in a rural area and every time I park my 2018 Montana 3120rl between trips I get mice inside my trailer.
I have screened up as many of the holes in the frame as I could. I have also put screens on the tires to try to keep the little s—ts from climbing up to the frame area.
Any ideas by anyone to help me to figure out how to stop them?
I set poison inside the camper but I have had the smell of a decaying rodent Basta-eds that died inside.
Tired of this problem for sure

Ideas please
I have a 2020 3120rl. I also have issues. My best was using mint or peppermint extract soak in bags.
I also sealed with foam / spent my time on my back to fill in all ports of entry. I just noticed last week I found just above the sewer connection where gas line goes up to rig. Factory cut a Big hole. It was outside the frame. But not really. It allowed a main road way that I totally missed sealed with alum plate. Approx 10” x 28”
Best Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #23
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
I haven't had a chance to spend any quality time looking over our 2020 3741FK, but I spent some time in the front compartment the last couple of days working on some stuff.

There are a LOT of holes to the outside in there. However, I could not find any holes to inside the basement area, in the time that I looked. It appeared that they had that sealed pretty good. But, I don't want mice in that front compartment either. I don't want them ANYWHERE!!
Old 05-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #24
tjndsa
Established Member

M.O.C. #23613
Last camping trip we had done one next up us who has small LED lights hung around the bottom of his camper that is set on a timer. He said he had a mouse once, after getting rid of it, he hung the lights and has never had an issue since.
tjndsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:14 PM   #25
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
The problem with bait boxes is that the mice eat the poison and do and die in the walls or other unaccessible places. I use snap traps with peanut butter on them and Fresh Cab which is an herbal deterent and the mice do not like the smell of it. I place the packets in the basement and storage areas and in the propane wells. I also place them under the sinks and any cabinets I can get to the bottom or next to the floor. If you have power to the unit you can also use the electronic units that you plug into the recepticals. They have worked for me while sitting between uses.
Agreed, and will add our real life experience...
Last spring we traveled back to Canada from AZ with our old rig. We stopped a couple times along the way and the last time was in an old heavily treed campground. We got home late on a Sunday and I had work in the morning. My wife started to unpack and called me out to the rig at noon. There were droppings all over inside the pantry, under the sink and in the bedroom. Mind that we stayed in the rig the day before and there was nothing (and had never had problems out entire time owning it).

I got some of the green poison blocks and laid them out around the camper on Tuesday morning. Early Tuesday afternoon, half of them were gone! I put out some more. Over the next 4 days, I had put out 2 dozen of the blocks. Finally I called the exterminator. He said, you don't have mice, call insurance, this will likely be a writeoff. He set out traps, and attached is what we caught the next day...

Long story short... poison was taken by the critters down below, I assume to feed their family. The exterminator never could see where they were dying even with his longest scope. But the stink was unbearable and both the exterminator and insurance said it would likely never completely disappear, nor could it be properly cleaned in all the places they had infested.
Insurance did write it off as a total loss, and that's when we ordered our new Montana ...

For me, I'd never use poison again, and would go right to the traps if a deterrent wasn't working.

Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5567.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	9267  
Old 05-26-2021, 04:19 PM   #26
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post

I got some of the green poison blocks and laid them out around the camper on Tuesday morning. Early Tuesday afternoon, half of them were gone! I put out some more. Over the next 4 days, I had put out 2 dozen of the blocks. Finally I called the exterminator. He said, you don't have mice, call insurance, this will likely be a writeoff. He set out traps, and attached is what we caught the next day...

When I use the "box" style mouse traps, I put the poison IN the trap. They get in, but they do NOT get out. That way they are lured by the poison, but can't take it other places, and die.

I have used glue traps on the inside before as well, and they don't work too bad. They may still die, and start to decay, but you can at least find them, and get rid of them. To the best of my knowledge, I've never had one die in a place that I couldn't get to them. That would be BAD!!!
Old 05-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #27
DemLin
Established Member

M.O.C. #13345
Quote:
I live in a rural area and every time I park my 2018 Montana 3120rl between trips I get mice inside my trailer.
I have screened up as many of the holes in the frame as I could. I have also put screens on the tires to try to keep the little s—ts from climbing up to the frame area.
I set poison inside the camper but I have had the smell of a decaying rodent Basta-eds that died inside.

Ideas please
When we store our Montana, we put Bounce dryer sheets EVERYWHERE - in drawers, tucked into the furniture, on top of and underneath the mattress, in the stove, in the sink - EVERYWHERE!! After sitting for 6 months, we MIGHT see some droppings (this Spring we had 3) but the little bast-rds don't stay. I even put them in the basement near the Tomcat bait chunks and they were not even touched. Plus your unit smells nice when you open it.
DemLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #28
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Gosh dangit, I jinxed it...

Got the rig out for the first time, and found evidence if mice in one of our cabinets. Still trying to figure it out.

Ugghhh.... I hate them little devil's....
Old 05-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #29
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
After having a mouse die in the belly area and rot (stench!!) and having to pull down a part of the Coroplast to give it a proper burial in a garbage can, spent a bunch of time again searching and covering more missed holes and entry ways for rodents. The Coroplast at two spring hangers left gaping holes. I also bought a roll of aluminum window screening and covered the basement sides of the cold air return louvers. This year, no mice. (aluminum since those beast might eat the fiberglass screening)

There are gaping holes wherever there is a plumbing pipe that after the first year were filled with steel wool and Great Stuff foam. There were holes at the sewer drain plumbing, several, in each propane compartment and even a 1/4" gap where Keystone over tightened body to frame screws.

I think the only RV we owned was a Sunline TT that never had a mouse as it was 100% sealed, top, bottom and sides. Every other took hours to correct
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:30 PM   #30
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
Send a message via AIM to kbabb72 Send a message via MSN to kbabb72
I found one in a trap today within 2 inches of my fresh cab
kbabb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #31
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
We had mice chew thru foam under sink!
Old 07-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #32
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
Did smell enter camper? (Mothballs)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:48 AM   #33
Jeff & Deb M.

M.O.C. #20211
Quote:

Ideas please
We run a 50' LED rope light on the ground under ours and have it on a timer so that the lights go on an hour or so before dark and turn off after sunrise. Haven't had a mouse since and it's been 4 years!. Good luck!

Jeff & Deb M. plus Georgie & Milo
2017 Montana 3920FB - Legacy Edition
2019 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7 Diesel CC LWB
Jeff & Deb M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:15 AM   #34
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
I do bounce sheets… Fresh Cab…. Peppermint oil… cups of Pine Sol plus I cover floor vents. Little a$$es still get in
Old 07-26-2021, 08:34 AM   #35
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I keep poison bait boxes at the wheels and landing gear. I also keep them in my tractor shed where I keep my lawnmower and motorcycles. I’m trying to control them before they get in my camper and equipment. That helps but I don’t think you could ever have a camper that a mouse couldn’t get in. I almost never have any trouble with them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:19 AM   #36
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbabb72 View Post
I do bounce sheets… Fresh Cab…. Peppermint oil… cups of Pine Sol plus I cover floor vents. Little a$$es still get in

We have tried all of those. Bounce sheets made a nice soft nest. Fresh Cab proved to be a bathroom for them and peppermint oil just mage the 5er smell nice for their cozy winter's home..Oh, in case you are wondering, Irish Spring bath soap made for a tasty snack

3-4 years ago, Fresh Cab had to pull their product off the market and reformulate as it had something in the ingredients. Does NOT work now.

Plug the holes - the ONLY real solution that always works.

Then there are chipmunks that are even more voracious!!!!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #37
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
We have tried all of those. Bounce sheets made a nice soft nest. Fresh Cab proved to be a bathroom for them and peppermint oil just mage the 5er smell nice for their cozy winter's home..Oh, in case you are wondering, Irish Spring bath soap made for a tasty snack

3-4 years ago, Fresh Cab had to pull their product off the market and reformulate as it had something in the ingredients. Does NOT work now.

Plug the holes - the ONLY real solution that always works.

Then there are chipmunks that are even more voracious!!!!

And don’t forget the noise makers. I put one on my silverware and guess what they did on my silverware. Yep you got it. So you can add that to the no work list.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:30 PM   #38
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
And don’t forget the noise makers. I put one on my silverware and guess what they did on my silverware. Yep you got it. So you can add that to the no work list.
Lynwood

Those ultrasonic gadgets do work - that is for, if lucky, two weeks according to an article I read a while back. They best work at adding dollars to the seller and manufacturing company's profit line

What does work are Victor snap traps and their rat zappers. Of course you do need to do a check on them every day or so or the stench will be bad.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #39
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Already answered this one but will post again on this subject. I use Fresh Cab in our basement, back behind the vents in the steps, under the sinks and in the front storage area. I do store the unit in a building that is guarded by three of the electronic ultra sound boxes and I also have about 5-6 sticky traps around the building. I also have two of the outside bait boxes on the outside of the building. Needless to say I never see a mouse in the building or in the Monte. I used to store the Monte on limestone rock near a prairie hay field and I used the Fresh Cab there also but also used mothballs around the tires and landing gear and never had a mouse inside the unit until I went camping at a campground next to a field they were harvesting. Had one get in and eliminated that night with a snap trap and peanut butter. I still stand by the use of Fresh Cab. If it's good enough for the farmers and construction equipment owners it's good enough for me to keep the little demons out. I won't use poisons because they eat it and go into the walls or wherever and die, then guess what happens to them especially in hot weather. Nope, no poisons for me.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:00 AM   #40
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjndsa View Post
Last camping trip we had done one next up us who has small LED lights hung around the bottom of his camper that is set on a timer. He said he had a mouse once, after getting rid of it, he hung the lights and has never had an issue since.
Are these skinny rope lights or lights hanging on string?