Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Overhead cabinets, How much weight...?

Just wondering if I should rethink our storage plan. Haven't had any problems yet BUT...
Has any one with the rear LV(ours is the 3400) had any issues or concerns with storage of heavy items in the overhead rear cabinets...? We have the '05 version with four cabinets straight across.
I'm talking about mainly books and notebook binders with lots of paper.
There appears to be some support from the valance but it's unknown how they attached the cabinets or valance.

thanks....jerry

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:50 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Have been told you are supposed to be able to hold on and hang from them, aka, support the weight of a person, cannot remember if that was a feather weight, normal weight or heavy weight. HA HA

I try to put my books through out the coach, balancing the load, as you may.

Where are you guys???

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:25 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jerry and Karen, ours is a rear kitchen but we also have the cabinets across the back and also have cabinets above the rear kitchen peninsula. We have put about 50,000 miles on this Montana on all kinds of roads and have never had a problem with any cabinet. We have lots of heavy things in them including reams of paper, a stack of glass mixing bowls and other things. By the way, if you stack breakable things like our glass mixing bowls back there I recommend a small sheet of nonskid between them to keep them from banging together and possibly breaking. We've broken one dish in that 50k miles but we did not have the nonskid in place.

We do try to put the heaviest items in the lower cabinets. Like cast iron skillets
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Carol, thanks for the info... I think I may do the same and redistribute some stuff. Especially with all the bouncing that goes on back there. The I 10 eastbound through Louisianna was atrocious with expansion joints and potholes.
Were at Indian Creek RV Resort in Fort Myers Beach about two miles from the actual beach by trolley. This is a nice place, about 1100 units, several pools, tennis courts, amenities, etc. About 95% Park Models. Decided to lay over here for a month with their advertised special. We spent the last 5 weeks since we left BPV/RGV on a meandering path to here. Heading to Lakeland Fl. to meet up with our daughter in May and then back to meandering again. We'll be heading toward Central Missouri and then toward New England before heading back toward the RGV for the 06/07 winter.
Say hello to Al...
jerry & karen
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Jerry and Karen,

SOUNDS great!! the meandering part! Have fun!
Old 04-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Jpf,

I am glad you asked the question about where to put things. We will be buying a 3400RL hopefully in the near future. I would love to hear what others say about what you can and can't put in cabinets.

By the way I can recommend a great place to eat out in Fort Myers Beach and Naples. Check out Pinchers Crab Shack they have wonderful food. Of course I am partial to the owner..... he is my brother
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have my 3400RL loaded with just about everything I can think of. The only thing in the cabinets across the back are two blankets, and a few extra boxes of kleenex and paper products. There is so much darm storage in this coach I just cannot fill it up.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:23 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rules of packing:

Pack it where it fits!

Pack it snug, in other words, try to fill the air, so that items are touching, this does help a bit with them moving around, use a roll of TP if you have to to fill spaces.

Don't pack all the heavy stuff together, if at all possible, spread it around. I have canned goods in a number of places, NOT just the pantry. Put bottled water, pop, stuff like that, on the floor, not up high.

Those are our rules, everyone has their own, to fit their lifestyle and their Montana.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:22 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Carol has the right idea. We have TP all over the place to keep things from moving - paper towel rolls work also and then you never run out! We try to put heavy things especially books in the middle over the wheels or up front so the weight is on the truck. We don't have to worry about hitch weight since we have the dually. One place not to forget about things moving is under the bed especially if you keep anything that will break under there. TP works there also.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have a 2000 with the rear living room and the overhead cabinets. We store our extra paper for our printers, several Bibles, and two plastic containers with miscellaneous items. In over 5 years of fulltiming we haven't had a problem.

In our kitchen, I purchased two staircase newels, had two little oak squares made for them to sit on and then placed them strategically under the kitchen cabinets. This was just a little preventive thing I did just in case the screws holding the cabinets two the aluminum struts pulled out. Has worked well, however I don't know if I need them. If you were to come into our unit you would think they belonged there.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote