Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Raising Lippert 6 Point Electric Jacks

My Montana High Country 375FL has the electric 6 point Lippert self-leveling jack system. We've had ownership of this camper for about 2.5 years now and I have an ongoing problem with the rear jacks .... they drag the ground.

Shortly after purchasing our Montana, I lost one of the foot pads because it drug on the ground. Replacement for the pad was over $50.00 (yikes), and I decided at that point to always remove all 6 pads when traveling. OK, I know this is a pain, but at least I've never lost another pad since.

But a second problem. Although removing the pads gives me about a half inch higher clearance from the ground, the rear jacks STILL drag. And when they drag on asphalt or concrete, the posts get bent up, and then the pads will not go back on. I have to beat and grid off the burr that the dragging creates on the bottom of the post.

After, over 2 years, I've been studying this problem out, and I see no reason why the rear two jacks can't be raised about 5 inches higher. There are adequate holes on the Jack frame and there is clearance at the tops of the jacks to go that high.

The only draw back I see, is, if one of the rear jacks had failure, it might be hard to manually retract them, as there's no room at the top to insert a drill bit then. But, this is a trade off I'm willing to go.

My concern is, if I raise the 2 rear jacks as far up as they will go and re-bolt them in place, will this affect the self-leveling system at all. I do know, I'll have to block the rear jacks a bit higher. I have found that on level ground, my rear jacks work well if they can reach the ground. If on a hill and they have to go below that level point (extend farther down), they stroke out pretty fast. So, when parking, I always make sure I have blocks under the rear jacks that are actually a taller clearance than the tires on the ground. I've never stroked out again doing this.

So, I'll need to add another block, 4 - 5 inches (for level ground), a lot more for when the rear is high on a hill, and maybe nothing when the rear is low to the ground (on a sloped incline).

So my question? If moving the jacks higher, as long as I build up a bsase 4-5 inches taller, will I have any issues with the jacks, the auto level, or anything. Or should they work like they always have? No noticeable difference, as long as they don't extend and stroke out?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
My 340bh has the rear about in line with the center of the wheel hub when up. i have never hit one on the ground BUT i always block them no matter how level because the less stroke the more stable the camper seems so i like to keep them at a short stroke

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I have the 6 point hydraulic and I raised the rear and middle jacks up one bolt hole. No more possible dragging on steep driveway approaches. Nothing was effected with the auto leveling system either. Hopefully your electric system would be the same.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
thanks 432bartman.... that is very encouraging!

sky744, mine hang lower than half way to the tire center. On level ground they have only about a 3 inch clearance .... without the foot pad. Thanks for your response.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #5
Loui
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12538
Send a message via MSN to Loui
I did the same as 423bartman, raised one bolt hole. No issues with leveling.
I do carry some blocks just in case we get a site that is way off level and need more lift.
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
thanks 432bartman.... that is very encouraging!

sky744, mine hang lower than half way to the tire center. On level ground they have only about a 3 inch clearance .... without the foot pad. Thanks for your response.

You're very welcome sir.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
TWP723
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28111
You're not nose high are you? If you raise them too much, you'll drag the rear bumper on those occasions when you need clearance from the pad. I'd rather bottom out on the pad than the back of the coach.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #8
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I'm fairly sure you can raise the rear jacks without affecting functionality because they self-adjust to uneven ground, but why don't you give Lippert a call to confirm.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:10 PM   #9
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
DutchmenSport...I raised ALL my Lippert jacks up 3 holes after confirming with both Lippert AND Keystone this would not be a warranty issue. Lippert confirmed not a problem. And, yes, I use 8"x8"x6" wood blocks under all six jacks with grounding/leveling to minimize the extension of jack pistons. Have not had any issues since inception on this. FYI
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #10
Yoquedo
Established Member

M.O.C. #21234
I did the same as 432bartman, works fine.
Yoquedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:26 PM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Follow-up. I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a 3/4 inch socket. I had another 3/4 inch socket and ratchet, but really needed the breaker bar. So, the driver side (rear) was just horrible breaking loose, even with a breaker bar. But success prevailed. I raised the jack about 5 inches.

On the passenger side, 2 of the bolts were actually kind of looses. Maybe they got loosened up from dragging? They came off very easy. By now it was getting dark tonight when I finished up, and did the auto level. Everything worked perfect!

Then, I noticed the passenger side is one hole lower than the driver side. There is room to raise it one more hole, so tomorrow I'll do that side again and raise it so it matches the drivers side. But I say, The operation was successful!

Thank-you everyone for your vote of confidence.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #12
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Long trailer and probably a bit nose high = bent rear jacks.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:31 AM   #13
Cthor
Established Member

M.O.C. #28051
6 point lippert jacks

I've got an issue with the RM jack in constant error, I can manually lower every jack but when i push left/right together only the LM jack goes down and the RM one doesnt move at all. Any ideas? This is on a new unit.
Cthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #14
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthor View Post
I've got an issue with the RM jack in constant error, I can manually lower every jack but when i push left/right together only the LM jack goes down and the RM one doesnt move at all. Any ideas? This is on a new unit.
Warranty and/or give Lippert a call. May be a simple fix they can walk you through.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:45 AM   #15
Cthor
Established Member

M.O.C. #28051
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Warranty and/or give Lippert a call. May be a simple fix they can walk you through.
I tried everything they told me to no avail, next stop warranty repairs...
Old 05-25-2021, 07:51 AM   #16
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
raise the jacks a hole or two...no issue other than you might have to reset level.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #17
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
Since you're in "manual" mode, only one of the two buttons will respond to input at a time. Pushing any two buttons together will only activate whichever button sends the first signal to function. You must push one to whatever position you want, then the other to its' desired position.
2013 3402RL
Old 05-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #18
Cthor
Established Member

M.O.C. #28051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Blackwell View Post
Since you're in "manual" mode, only one of the two buttons will respond to input at a time. Pushing any two buttons together will only activate whichever button sends the first signal to function. You must push one to whatever position you want, then the other to its' desired position.
I remember when i pushed both them together they both went down. But if I push left and then right, you’re saying only the left will lower? And vice versa
Old 05-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #19
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
On my 2013 3402RL, when pushing left and right together, only 1 of the jacks moved...I have to push each one, one at a time, to get jacks to move. Also, when pushing either left or right, both the middle AND the rear jack on the same side move together. If i push the "rear" button, only both rear jacks move. Guess my system has different function than yours
2013 3402RL
Old 05-27-2021, 04:44 AM   #20
Cthor
Established Member

M.O.C. #28051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Blackwell View Post
On my 2013 3402RL, when pushing left and right together, only 1 of the jacks moved...I have to push each one, one at a time, to get jacks to move. Also, when pushing either left or right, both the middle AND the rear jack on the same side move together. If i push the "rear" button, only both rear jacks move. Guess my system has different function than yours
Yep it’s different.