Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #41
mhutchi
Established Member

M.O.C. #20888
one more for the road, my 2016 SRW Ford will go through the automatic car wash, which my best friends DRW will not!

mhutchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:17 AM   #42
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
I gotta admit this topic is like night of the living dead. No matter what it just wont die.
Yeap, there's nothing like a good "which truck" argument.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #43
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
I gotta admit this topic is like night of the living dead. No matter what it just wont die.
We all have to justify our choice
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #44
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
We really do wear this subject out!

I will always err on the side of safety and NO ONE on here should argue that with that!!

Having owned and towed with both SRW and DRW I still say that the DRW is a superior tow platform. Granted it may be a little inconvenient to park at the beauty parlor but what we should be talking about is its capability as a TOW vehicle. You can get the wheels turning with a 1/2 ton if you are an idiot but I'm going to recommend that you always buy at least the next size larger truck than the ratings say you have to have. Particularly if your bumping right up against the top of the recommended ratings.

I'll also bring up the point that NOBODY buys a DRW because they like fat rear ends or extra tires. But there are thousands on the road and they make new ones every day. For every one person that says they are happy with downgrading from a dually to an SRW there are 10 that say the opposite. I am certainly in the group that says a dually is a superior TOW vehicle PERIOD! But then I am a rough and tough old country boy working in the oilfields. Driving a heavier truck doesn't phase me a bit and to be honest the new duallies ride better than 1/2 tons did 20 years ago.

Buy the dually and be done with it. You will not regret it and will not have to worry about if you have enough truck you will know you do! After all we aren't towing jet skis around with these things!!
Im with you there, heavy hauler truck truck driver going on 32 years. Got to have dually to be cool. Love the short bed Dodge dually's
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #45
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchi View Post
one more for the road, my 2016 SRW Ford will go through the automatic car wash, which my best friends DRW will not!
You get points for an original reason. Just hope folks do not use it in making the decision.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #46
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
You get points for an original reason. Just hope folks do not use it in making the decision.
You mean not being able to go to the drive thru window is a disqualifier too?

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #47
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The truck we have was purchased to pull a long, heavy Montana.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #48
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Zero trouble with the automatic car wash or pulling up to a drive thru window. But then I didn't buy the 1 ton Dually to pink foot around town! I bought it for ONE REASON ONLY-----TO TOW! We have a brand new Ford Escape for the rest of the driving.

I get it if you can't afford a new Dually or your not a good enough driver to maneuver one around town (or thru a car wash PS: makes you less of a driver than my wife by the way) or you can't afford a large enough garage for it to fit. But don't tell a newbee to towing that an SRW is a better TOW vehicle cause it's not! It may be narrower in the rear end but that is about it. There isn't enough difference between a 1 ton SRW and a 1 ton DRW ride for me to tell them apart in recent years. Maybe a princess can but I can't. Geeezzzz get over it already.....WIDE REAR ENDS RULE!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #49
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I just don’t understand it. There are many of us towing with SRWs that have ratings adequate for the trailers we are towing. We have towed with them for years and tens of thousands of miles. We know from those years and miles that they tow great. We know stability is a non issue as they are stable in high cross winds, trucks passing, winding mountain roads. And stopping is no issue either. And yet there are those holier than thou DRW owners who tell us we are doing it all wrong. We are unsafe and endangering the public. We probably should not be allowed on the road. We only drive the SRW because we are not good enough drivers to drive a DRW. Or maybe because we can’t afford a DRW and have to settle for something less than adequate. If we don’t do it like they do it we must be bordering on ignorance. Maybe we should sell the RV, buy a Prius and a tent.

Good grief. Give me (us) a break.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #50
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Anyone who tells you that a Dually is the best truck to tow any Montana with is absolutely correct. Anyone who tells you that you need a Dually to tow any Montana with is absolutely incorrect.
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #51
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
head hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I just don’t understand it. There are many of us towing with SRWs that have ratings adequate for the trailers we are towing. We have towed with them for years and tens of thousands of miles. We know from those years and miles that they tow great. We know stability is a non issue as they are stable in high cross winds, trucks passing, winding mountain roads. And stopping is no issue either. And yet there are those holier than thou DRW owners who tell us we are doing it all wrong. We are unsafe and endangering the public. We probably should not be allowed on the road. We only drive the SRW because we are not good enough drivers to drive a DRW. Or maybe because we can’t afford a DRW and have to settle for something less than adequate. If we don’t do it like they do it we must be bordering on ignorance. Maybe we should sell the RV, buy a Prius and a tent.

Good grief. Give me (us) a break.
I don`t think anyone is talking about people that drive/tow well with-in the design limits or maximum capacities of the trailer or truck. I drove my new beast with a SRW for a couple of trips and promptly went out and bought a DRW, yep like they say "night and day" experience but one was an`06 6.0 Ford 1 ton and against the new DRW 6.7 Ford.
On the return trip from MB a couple of years ago on Rt64 2 3 axle tow haulers obviously traveling together passed me in the fast lane doing at least 80 MPH both 250 Fords SWR trying to get a run on the mountain in front of us. These are the people that need to heed this thread.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #52
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are many of us towing with SRWs that have ratings adequate for the trailers we are towing" the key words and absolutely correct. What is hard to understand about that.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #53
capras801
Established Member

M.O.C. #20459
bshgto I sent you a PM
capras801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #54
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by capras801 View Post
bshgto I sent you a PM
got it, and off to the races.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #55
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Just spent 2 weeks down the ocean at Assategue state park. Lived though not 1 but 2 nor-easters. Winds were howling 50+ mph for days on end. Had to put in the slides many times. I thought the slide toppers were going to be destroyed. Wind driven rain was blowing through the closed windows. We decided to leave a day early and drove towards home in extremely windy conditions. Had to stay the night at another state park do to the fact that they would not permit us or any towed vehicle across the Chesapeake bay bridge.

Moral of the story is our Dually handled the Monty wonderfully in the high winds. Previously towed the Monty with a 3500 SRW truck and felt the rear tires squirming around quite a bit. Not a comfortable feeling.

You never know what conditions you will encounter while towing. Glad I had the right truck for the job.

BUY THE DUALLY !!! and forget about all the dumb reasons for not doing so.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #56
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
That one has been used on other threads already.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #57
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Zero trouble with the automatic car wash or pulling up to a drive thru window. But then I didn't buy the 1 ton Dually to pink foot around town! I bought it for ONE REASON ONLY-----TO TOW! We have a brand new Ford Escape for the rest of the driving.

I get it if you can't afford a new Dually or your not a good enough driver to maneuver one around town (or thru a car wash PS: makes you less of a driver than my wife by the way) or you can't afford a large enough garage for it to fit. But don't tell a newbee to towing that an SRW is a better TOW vehicle cause it's not! It may be narrower in the rear end but that is about it. There isn't enough difference between a 1 ton SRW and a 1 ton DRW ride for me to tell them apart in recent years. Maybe a princess can but I can't. Geeezzzz get over it already.....WIDE REAR ENDS RULE!
Anybody that has ever read any of your posts knows that you think DRW should be the ONLY TOW VEHICLE EVER. Is it possible that you can try stating your opinion without being insulting or condescending ?

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #58
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post

Haven't met a drive-thru I couldn't get through yet, I'm sure they are out there but that's what curbs and planters are for, should have made it bigger.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #59
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We can fit through bank drive in windows however they are not designed for big trucks . We can fit in our garage but it is a very tight fit we do not keep it in the garage and never intended to. We use the wand at car washes as we have not yet found one that the dually will fit. Truck washes yes. We look for dually parking spots at big box stores as we are a bit long and fat in the butt. We purchased the truck to meet our towing needs everything else is secondary. There are many truck configurations now that will tow just about any Montana safely and within specs.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #60
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'll wade into this discussion ... I understand those of you who have issues with duallys in auto car washes and drive thrus. I don't eat in any of my vehicles and a casual stroll from the parking lot to the bank helps keep me limber, so neither point is of any concern to me or a friend or two of mine. I really don't think the beat down of SRW owners by some DRW owners has much to do with tow capacity, door stickers, or CAT scale tickets. In many cases, we can feel a difference between 4 tires holding up what we're pulling as compared to 2 tires ... and that difference is worth parking a little farther away and walking or sitting inside Mickey D's conversing with the locals instead of slopping a drink all over the console. I had a flat one time on on an inner dual while pulling my fiver. I slowly poked along on the outside dual for another 12 miles or so to a service station where they fixed the flat. It sure beat sitting on the side of the road. Now back to my bag of Orville Redenbachers ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote