Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2023, 10:03 AM   #1
joeburns

M.O.C. #7577
Splindide washer dryer installation 2021 3121RL

I looked and did the chat online on the Keystone site with no luck.
I'm looking for some information on installing the stackable units. Specifically where to drill the dryer vent hole.
Also, any other mounting suggestions.
Thanks,
Joe B.

joeburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:08 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Joe - here is a pic showing the dryer vent approx. location for a 3121RL.
I assume the dryer is installed on top shelf with washer on the floor.
This location looks like the dryer vent hose runs along the shelf behind the dryer. I bought a black vent cover for mine.
I paid an RV service to install my washer/dryer - but I did watch a few videos and considered doing it myself. I think the general opinion of those stickers inside the closet that may say something like "dryer vent here" - are a "trust but verify" thing. I would use a stud finder to mark the in-wall framing on the inside, then use a tiny drill bit to test the area to make sure you don't hit any studs. Then get a hole saw and...Hmmmm - I think I will stop there because since I did not do it myself - I should stop coaching. Watch the youtube videos.

Edit: However if you want further advice from a patient in the asylum (me) - once you locate the studs - use the hole saw to drill the first hole from the inside (only thru the plywood wall panel) Then mark and drill a centered pilot hole thru the fiberglass skin - which will be the guide for the hole saw. Go outside and use masking tape to cover the area to be cut - and hole saw/drill thru the fiberglass exterior. Thinking about drilling thru the fiberglass siding is where I decided to pay someone to do the job. That plus lifting the things into the camper and into place by myself...I decided better to pay someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-05-31_11-57-27.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	14655  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:34 PM   #3
dave22554
Established Member

M.O.C. #32747
I did it myself however the vent was already there. You also want to make sure you don't get too close to the front cap. When you drill the hotel just go slow. You will know immediately if you hit a stud.

If you want to save some money Home Depot has an apartment sized Panda brand which I am told is mfg by LG. The set was like $600 for the pair.
dave22554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:39 AM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
on a cool damp morning the AL studs will show themselves on the outside.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 01:45 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
As stated above, use a stud finder. You can also wait for a cool morning and catch the sweat marks on the camper.

For what it's worth, this is what your wall looks like. This is a section I cut out when I installed an outside shower.

Here's the sweat marks early in the morning:

We had a washer and dryer installed by our local RV dealership / repair shop, which is NOT where we purchased the Montana from. We ordered the washer and dryer through them and they installed it. I did do a significant amount of rebuilding to strengthen the shelves the washer and dryer sit on, because when we first took delivery of our Montana the bedroom closet shelf completely collapsed. Looking at the photos above, the screws were screwed into that Styrofoam. The supports under the shelves for the washer and dryer were simply screwed into the same stuff. Nothing was hitting any studs. So, my water heater sits under the washing machine. The las thing I wanted was for the shelf the washer rested on was to collapse and crush the water heater. So, I rebuilt the cabinet, strengthened the shelves with better supports from the floor upward, re-inserted the shelves themselves, and then had the dealership install the washer and dryer. It was a success. It's been more than 3 years now, thousands and thousands and thousands of miles bouncing over our wonderful USA interstates and bridge transitions and my building skills has held up admirably.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 03:32 PM   #6
RetiredandRollin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27367
If interested, I did a video and tried to be very specific. It’s on YT @retiredandrollin just look for the video titled washer and dryer install.
RetiredandRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 03:34 PM   #7
RetiredandRollin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27367
I have a different model, but the process is all basically the same. Locating the studs is important and several have explained good ways to locate them, I explain a different way. There’sa comment on being careful not to get too close to the cap, THAT’S GREAT ADVICE.

Hope this helps
RetiredandRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 04:00 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you are unsure where the studs are drill a series of small holes 1/16 or slightly larger about a inch apart where you want the large hole to be sure there isn’t a stud in the way. If you decide not to use that place you will never find the holes.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:22 PM   #9
BobM
Established Member

M.O.C. #31115
Splindide washer

Just curious as my DW wants to get the washer & dryer. How well do they work? Is it worth the money?

Bob & Angela
2022 3813MS, 2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW LB
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:44 AM   #10
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
DW has to sleep with the bedroom chilly (read freezes my a$$ off). Very first morning it was humid outside, saw the studs clearly from all the condensation on the side of the fiver. Knowing stackable washer / dryer would be a future install, had her take a few photos clearly showing the stud locations.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 08:51 AM   #11
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
DW says "YES - well worth it!"
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 09:06 AM   #12
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Just curious as my DW wants to get the washer & dryer. How well do they work? Is it worth the money?
Uh.... Happy wife - happy life! Just sayin
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 10:16 AM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
My grocery list (long):

Negative reasons for having an on-board washing machine and dryer (or a combo unit).

1) The machines take water and AC electricity which are extremely precious commodities when boon docking.

2) They require space to be installed. If the camper does not have the space or if that space is vital for something else, washer and dryers won't work in a camper.

3) They are really, really pricy. Doing a quick internet search, you can expect to pay over $2000 for the stackable set and $1500 for a combo unit.

4) They are much smaller than a house hold unit which means loads are smaller. This may be problematic for some folks who are accustom to doing larger loads all at once.

Positive reasons for having an on-board washing machine and dryer (or a combo unit).

1) You never have to go to a laundry mat again. You can spend the time doing something else ... like enjoying camping while the machines run on their own.

2) You can do laundry at any time. You are not subject to open and closed laundry mats, or traveling into an unknown neighborhood after dark, or on holidays. Nor do you have to be concerned about your safety while at a laundry mat or traveling on the road to get there and back. And if traveling to a new unknown location, finding a laundry mat in the first place seems to always be a real challenge.

3) Saves space in your camper. You do not need to have laundry baskets or laundry bags stored somewhere in an, already space limited living area. No need for stacks of laundry piled high or shoved in bags or tossed in the shower. The washing machine IS the laundry basket. Once it get's full, simply turn on the washer. Run it, and done. (another space saver). No laundry baskets, nothing piled high looking unsightly and cluttered.

4) No need to travel with an arsenal of clothing to get you through an extended trip. We use to travel with enough clothes to run us for 2 weeks between laundry mat visits. Having the unit in the camper means we can wash dirty clothes any time, thus eliminating the need to carry so dang much. Instead of carrying 14 pair of underware, socks and T-shirts, it's been downsized to 4 each. Why? Because it can be washed immediately at the end of the day or beginning of the next day and be ready to war the following day. This holds for pants, shirts, and everything else. The amount of clothing needed for travel is drastically reduced (saving space).

5) Cost? Laundry mats are expensive and getting worse all the time. Once your initial investment into a washer and dryer, or a combo, they pay for themselves after a while and then you are actually money saved.

6) You don't have to keep a bunch of change (quarters) handy to run machines at laundry mats.

7) If you go swimming and return back to the camper wet, you can remove your bathing suit, toss it in the dryer and 30 minutes later is perfectly dry, ready to put back on and go swimming again (without freezing to death putting on a cold wet suit).

8) After taking a shower or bath, you can toss the towels directly into the dryer and dry them off. No need to have a bunch of wet towels hanging around.

9) If you get caught in the rain (or fall in a lake), you can toss your went cloths directly in the dryer and have them dried up quickly. No need to have all that stuff hanging around inside the camper from the shower curtain, on the door, and over chairs to dry out, dripping on the floor making everything else wet.

10) If you have pets, there will always be "accidents". It's always nice to be able to wash up any soiled fabric used to clean up those messes.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:24 AM   #14
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
DW says "YES - well worth it!"
Mine too.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:39 PM   #15
joeburns

M.O.C. #7577
Retiredandrolling,

Yes, I watched your video twice. Very well done I'll add. Your closet looks identical to our 3121RL.

With a stud finder, I was able to locate the vertical stud. Knowing that, I have a good idea of where to make the hole for the vent horizontally.
I put the access panel in and plan on installing the washer. Then, I should have an idea what level (vertically) to drill the hole for the vent.

Thanks to all for great suggestions.
JB
joeburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:52 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:

I have a ventless model. I think it’s awful but the vented machines are great.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote