Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2023, 06:18 PM   #1
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Schwintek after market replacement/reinforcement

Ok, here we go again. 2022 Montana HC 295RL: dealer replaced bedroom Schwintek slideout last December and worked OK for couple of trips= 5,000 miles and approx 20 slide out/ins. Always sounded pretty puny and we always kept button pressed 5 seconds at end of each out/in to "re-sync". Started current northwest trip one week ago and on 3rd stop, slideout made a noise and wife immediately stopped and pulled back in to "re-sync". Worked next time but the following stop while extending slideout wife again heard noise so stopped and retracted to "re-sync". Slideout came back in BUT front/bottom corner of slideout protrudes 1 1/2" while other three corners are tight against coach. Tried override but a little noise and no movement. Waiting for return calls from dealer and Lippert. Still under warranty; but, that doesn't do much good when on the road. Vroom, Tuscon, AZ- earliest schedule is January 2024.

Does anybody know of a reinforcement or repair other than the standard Schwintek repairs?

Thanks for any info

Jack

182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:54 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Sorry to hear Jack. I can't reiterate enough! The 259 slide is big! 10 feet long and if the rig isn't dam near exactly LEVEL that big hole will be out of square causing your issue. You can't rely on the auto level! I installed bubble levels to assure I'm level before opening the slide. I level the trailer side to side before I unhook from the truck using legos under the wheels. If you don't do this the frame will twist. The auto level will try it's best but it can't handle with only a 4 point leveling system. Since I've been doing this I've not had a problem. 19 trips out since the repair. I learned this on my second trip after the fix. When I use the auto level it's level according to the bubbles about 75% of the time. You could upgrade to a Vroom but that's all I can recommend.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:58 PM   #3
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Foldbak, I installed front/back and side X side levels before our first trip AND check interior floor with carpenter level. Learned this in 2013 with first Montana. We always level before extending slideouts.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2023, 08:29 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I think you're missing my point.

Almost EVERY site has a pitch for water runoff. Typically 1.5 to 2 degrees. This equates to 1 or 2 inches of fall in an 8 foot span. X braces wont keep that 10 foot hole square with a 4 point leveling system.

Question......Are you rolling the low side of your wheels up onto blocks or legos prior to leveling? If not you're Schwintec slide will bind as the frame will be in a twist. The sensors are fore and aft and can only gauge front and rear, not the center. everything in the middle is a toss up.

A 6 point leveling system would solve this problem. (KEYSTONE) Try my suggestion and I hope this makes sense.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:32 PM   #5
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
We use the stackable orange squares to pre-level site for tires before engaging auto-level. BTW, the vast majority of sites we've used are actual pretty level; but, we typically don't travel in high rain areas that require the drainage you're talking about. Schwintek is a piss-poor system and the fact that Vroom of AZ is backed up says it all. Just rolled into Cascade, ID and local (very busy) RV tech we've used before doesn't want to work on the Schwintek. He stated hard to good results that last.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:44 PM   #6
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
I hold my breath every time I use the schwintec slides of which I have 3 on our rig. They make a terrible squealing noise. I have shot silicone into the drive and that has quieted them somewhat. There is a company in Arizona that will replace the schwintec units with a more robust and solid design. They are Vroom slide systems. I have looked at their system and it looks very robust. If my Schwintecs fail, that is the route I am going to take.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:15 PM   #7
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
T&M; I contacted the Tuscon, AZ company; Vroom: website states "One day installation available in the Tucson area" as well as direct replacement "Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out system". These notes and the fact if I schedule NOW, it will be January, 2024 before our RV can be done is pretty telling of how well our RV slides are working/lasting. We're going to try one more warranty repair and hopefully can make it last until next winter when we're in AZ. Oh well; 1st world problems.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:11 PM   #8
Jpalmer
Established Member

M.O.C. #32482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Sorry to hear Jack. I can't reiterate enough! The 259 slide is big! 10 feet long and if the rig isn't dam near exactly LEVEL that big hole will be out of square causing your issue. You can't rely on the auto level! I installed bubble levels to assure I'm level before opening the slide. I level the trailer side to side before I unhook from the truck using legos under the wheels. If you don't do this the frame will twist. The auto level will try it's best but it can't handle with only a 4 point leveling system. Since I've been doing this I've not had a problem. 19 trips out since the repair. I learned this on my second trip after the fix. When I use the auto level it's level according to the bubbles about 75% of the time. You could upgrade to a Vroom but that's all I can recommend.

Foldbak - you said you installed bubble levels, where did you install these levels - I assume on the outside front and rear to get the side to side level.

2022 Montana High Country 295rl
2023 Chevy High Country 3500 Diesel Std Bed SRW 4x4, B&W Companion
Jpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 07:19 PM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
On the side and rear of the king pin. As it turns out when the auto level is finished the bubbles are dead center. 75% of the time anyway.