Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2023, 09:10 AM   #1
RRBurroughs

M.O.C. #32762
Water Pump issue

We have stayed our 2nd weekend in our 373RL. Last weekend was okay. Worked through some issues somehow. We both are new the RV life and working on being stationary full timers. Last night our water pump ran continuously, I thought it was the fan since my husband has to have one running. I'm not mechanical, but I know that's not good. We have water everywhere fine. I'm scared to ask but any ideas?

We did buy a used in November that was 1 year old, I didn't expect to have this many issues with it.

RRBurroughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:50 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, a couple things need to be in order first.

First.... do you have water in your fresh water tank. If not, fill it.

Second ... make sure you winterize valve is not flipped "on" to winterize. If it is flipped on, the pump will never shut off.

Third ... are you hooked up to city water (garden hose) and the water pump is turned on. If so, turn the pump off. You don't run water from shore power, garden hose AND have the water pump on at the same time. It's either one, or the other. If you are attempting to run the water pump WITH the garden hose turned on, the water pump will not turn off.

Fourth ... if you have water in the fresh water tank and not hooked up to a garden hose, then make sure the "Fill / normal flow" valve is flipped to "normal flow". The water pump will cycle if it's on "fill". That valve should be in the "fill" position ONLY when you are actually filling the fresh water tank. After filling, it needs to be flipped back to "normal."

Fifth ... make sure you have no leaks anywhere. Check the underbelly and make sure no water is dripping under the trailer, or the underbelly Coloplast is not sagging with water pooling in it.

If all of this checks out, the the water pump is sucking air from somewhere. But, make sure you are pumping from the water tank and shore / garden hose is off and the valve flipped correct. Make sure the winterize valve is not flipped. Winterize should be off.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 10:04 AM   #3
RRBurroughs

M.O.C. #32762
Third ... are you hooked up to city water (garden hose) and the water pump is turned on. If so, turn the pump off. You don't run water from shore power, garden hose AND have the water pump on at the same time. It's either one, or the other. If you are attempting to run the water pump WITH the garden hose turned on, the water pump will not turn off.

BLESS YOU!! I think this is it! We are hooked up on a private well with a water hose.

You are a great source of information. Enjoy your weekend.

Thank you!
Rhonda
RRBurroughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:40 PM   #4
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Not highjack your post but this happen to us today.

We have a 2019 3791. Today when we arrived at the campsite the water pump was running, but no water on the output. The tank was 1/2 full. Worked the valves to check that none were not working. Cleaned it. Then I took the pump apart. Seeing nothing that looked wrong, put it back together. The pump is now working. Any ideas.

I intend to purchase a new one to have when this one messes up again.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:27 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Fogies View Post
Not highjack your post but this happen to us today.

We have a 2019 3791. Today when we arrived at the campsite the water pump was running, but no water on the output. The tank was 1/2 full. Worked the valves to check that none were not working. Cleaned it. Then I took the pump apart. Seeing nothing that looked wrong, put it back together. The pump is now working. Any ideas.

I intend to purchase a new one to have when this one messes up again.

I’ll take a stab at this. You left the pump on and it picked up air when the pressure went down. All the faucets were closed and it kept on running because it couldn’t pump any water. The pump had air in it instead of water. I’ve had this happen. All you needed to do was cut the pump off a few seconds then cut it back on.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:37 AM   #6
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I’ll take a stab at this. You left the pump on and it picked up air when the pressure went down. All the faucets were closed and it kept on running because it couldn’t pump any water. The pump had air in it instead of water. I’ve had this happen. All you needed to do was cut the pump off a few seconds then cut it back on.
Lynwood
I tryed that also.

I took the pump apart looking for anything that may have been picked up by the pump. Reinstalled the pump. It's now working.

I have ordered a replacement. Will keep it handy in case the old one acts up again.

Thanks for the help.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:10 PM   #7
Charlie 3931 fb

M.O.C. #32813
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBurroughs View Post
We have stayed our 2nd weekend in our 373RL. Last weekend was okay. Worked through some issues somehow. We both are new the RV life and working on being stationary full timers. Last night our water pump ran continuously, I thought it was the fan since my husband has to have one running. I'm not mechanical, but I know that's not good. We have water everywhere fine. I'm scared to ask but any ideas?

We did buy a used in November that was 1 year old, I didn't expect to have this many issues with it.
I have 2020 3931FB and I bought new. I am on my 3rd water pump in 4 years. Just a cheap part the goes bad quickly.
Charlie 3931 fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:44 AM   #8
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We accidentally left our pump on driving down the road for 4 hours. We don't drive with a full tank of freshwater, maybe 10 gallons. Anyway, the pump picked up air and ran (cavitated) for 4 hours. When we got to our overnight stop we discovered this. The pump still works but not as good as before.
We found a replacement. SURFLOW .
We decided to keep the Surflow as a spare until the Flojet died. The Flojet is noisy BTW.
I have used the Surflow with our water bladder to refill the freshwater tank while dry camping.
It runs smooth and QUIET!!!
Actually completely silent!!!
So, if you have to replace your pump get a SURFLOW pump.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote