Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #21
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I will be the odd ball here. Our rule is if it did not come out of your body it does not belong in the toilet. Our TP goes in a small lined can next to the toilet and is emptied often.
God bless you.

PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:55 PM   #22
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
Sorry, but that is just nasty!
Absolutely nothing nasty about it. What's nasty is having to unclog a clogged tank.
Even nastier is a buddy of mine who's been in the poop pump business his entire life. He's had other people used corn in his hair dozens of times
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #23
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
[QUOTE=beeje;1198895]Absolutely nothing nasty about it. What's nasty is having to unclog a clogged tank.
Even nastier is a buddy of mine who's been in the poop pump business his entire life. He's had other people used corn in his hair dozens of times[/QUOTE

Perhaps toilet paper isn't what's clogging the tank. I would rather dig a hole and go outside than package used tp.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:25 PM   #24
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
[QUOTE=Montana Man;1198899]
Quote:
Absolutely nothing nasty about it. What's nasty is having to unclog a clogged tank.
Even nastier is a buddy of mine who's been in the poop pump business his entire life. He's had other people used corn in his hair dozens of times[/QUOTE

Perhaps toilet paper isn't what's clogging the tank. I would rather dig a hole and go outside than package used tp.

Here's the deal to me; why would one want to dig through a black tank's contents if they used TP without proper precautions? You don't. So use the precautions and dump/flush accordingly. Taking the paper you use every day and put in a bucket beside you and deal with it...rain, shine, loose, firm, etc. and let it "sit" with you....I'm outta here on that. I'm figuring toilets, flushing, holding tanks etc. were made to use....not put in a basket so we can all admire it..... - give me a hole and a shovel....and I guess, a tent.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:11 AM   #25
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
That's because you think it is. We've done the same thing for years. We use a step can with a lid and a small garbage (not shopping) bag in it. There is NEVER a smell. When you place the used TP into the can, the soiled side goes down. The bag gets tossed in the trash every day.

In China you put used toilet paper in a basket beside the hole in the floor that functions as a toilet, and it sure does stink! That's because it's open to the air.

I know quite a few people who never flush their toilet paper and they all feel the same way. So knock it till you've tried it.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:47 AM   #26
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835

Quote:
Even nastier is a buddy of mine who's been in the poop pump business his entire life. He's had other people used corn in his hair dozens of times

You know, there has been an ongoing controversy for years now about traveling with the RV refrigerator left on, running on gas, especially when fueling up at fuel stations. The debate has never been settled and the battle rages on.

That controversy is completely removed and no longer a topic to even consider any more with that magnificent invention called a residential refrigerator that runs on electric only. If you have a residential refrigerator, you, forever, will never have any controversy about running your refrigerator on gas when fueling at fuel stations. Problem solved! (Maybe keeping the battery charged is the issue, but running on gas will never be an issue again).

Well, there is another fantastic invention that was designed to overcome the toilet paper controversy too, yet folks are so hesitant to even consider it. Not toilet paper involved at all. No controversy over which brand to use in an RV. No controversy over using plastic bags or trash cans to place used TP. Nope, not ever again once you install a Bidet. Why not join this group and give it a try.

First, you simply removed your toilet seat and place it right there. Put the seat back on and bingo! Disconnect your water line, put in the T and reconnect. Simple, takes about 10 minutes, and now you are TP free!

So, we have colored coded wash cloths, one color for each bathroom in the house and for the Montana. I installed a small hook near each toilet to hang the wash cloth within easy reach. The wash cloth is there to dry the bottom (since we did not get the electric, heated, blow dryer version). Each day we swap out the wash cloth for a clean one and the old one goes in the laundry. There is no difference here using the wash cloth to dry the "bottom" than using a bath towel to dry the bottom after taking a shower and hanging up the towel to dry (this reminder is for those who think hanging the wash cloth back up is gross, you do the same thing with your bath towel).

With a Bidet, you leave feeling cleaner (like you just came from a shower, which, in a way, you just have). With a Bidet, you'll never use TP again (for this purpose), and if you have girls, your TP usage and the cost for TP drops to zero! In a couple months, the cost we spent on TP paid for the Bidet.

In addition, you are not putting TP in the black tank, any septic tank, any city treatment plan, any hole in the ground, or any dumpster. It's cleaner for everyone and everything!

For RVers, there is a few other benefits. First and most obvious, no TP in the black tank, nothing there to cause potential clogs. Second, when using the Bidet, you are adding a bit more water to your tank, making it much, much easier to dump when that time comes. Third, these Bidets come with a self-cleaning nozzle. When you turn on that nozzle it squirts water downward and not upward. Advantage? Well, it's much easier adding water to the bowl of your toilet, rather than holding your foot on the pedal and if you push too hard it all dumps out. If you want to add water in the bowl before (going), this is a very, very easy way to do that.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #27
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I just don't understand going through the trouble of managing used tp if you don't have to. We've had five different units and never clogged a tank.

But who am I to judge another man's toileting.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #28
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Obviously each person is happy with the system they use. And that is all that matters. So why even debate it?

And that was not even the question any way.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #29
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
That's because you think it is. We've done the same thing for years. We use a step can with a lid and a small garbage (not shopping) bag in it. There is NEVER a smell. When you place the used TP into the can, the soiled side goes down. The bag gets tossed in the trash every day.

In China you put used toilet paper in a basket beside the hole in the floor that functions as a toilet, and it sure does stink! That's because it's open to the air.

I know quite a few people who never flush their toilet paper and they all feel the same way. So knock it till you've tried it.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who uses this procedure.

I think the biggest difference here for me compared to most other people is the way that we camp. We try to avoid campgrounds where it's trailer after trailer after trailer right next to each other. We live on 5 Acres at home and really liked our space so we try to maximize our space while camping.
In the last 15 to 20 years or so camping in an RV I have only hooked up to sewer once. This is simply because most everywhere we go we do not have sewer hookups..

So obviously the less that goes down the toilet the longer time in between having to empty it.

I also installed a valve on the water line to all of my campers toilets so I can turn the water off or down to a trickle to minimize the amount of water that goes in there.

We have camped many many times up to nine days fully self-contained with no hookups whatsoever. As a matter of fact we're leaving in a week to camp for two weeks with no hookups. So for us minimizing what goes down there is important so that I don't have to empty it every other day.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #30
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
You know over in the Arabic countries many don't use toilet paper either, just a bucket of water and a LEFT hand. Maybe we should try that in our RVs! NOT
Old 09-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #31
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
What ever is on sale, as long as it is 2 ply.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #32
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Nice to see I'm not the only one who uses this procedure.

We have camped many many times up to nine days fully self-contained with no hookups whatsoever. As a matter of fact we're leaving in a week to camp for two weeks with no hookups. So for us minimizing what goes down there is important so that I don't have to empty it every other day.

I put TP down the black tank. I can go 5-7 days in the black tank if needed. I don't know of anyone that has to dump it every other day. Maybe you were just exaggerating to make a point.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #33
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I put TP down the black tank. I can go 5-7 days in the black tank if needed. I don't know of anyone that has to dump it every other day. Maybe you were just exaggerating to make a point.
The Every Other Day statement was kind of directed at the folks that say I use plenty of water when Flushing. Well if you do that boondocking you'll be empty that every other day
Old 09-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #34
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
I will be the odd ball here. Our rule is if it did not come out of your body it does not belong in the toilet. Our TP goes in a small lined can next to the toilet and is emptied often.
We do the exact same thing but because we have a Natures Head. Been doing it this way for two and a half years. No issues with smell whatsoever.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #35
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
We do the exact same thing but because we have a Natures Head. Been doing it this way for two and a half years. No issues with smell whatsoever.

Nope nothing gross about it at all. I guess some people are just as scared of there oun poo as they are of getting covid-19. Lol
Old 09-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #36
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Rv TP is a marketing scheme. Same as rinse and repeated on a bottle of Shampoo. Any two ply works with our black tank flushers. The black tank guages are a joke of the RV industry. Mine has never been correct for Grey, Galley or Black, The fresh is somewhat accurate.
Just don't use 3 or 4ply. Flush often and use plenty of water. That is the only requirement.
Sleep well with all the knowledge you have received from the post above.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #37
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Is there a heater in the bidet? I am not squirting ice cold water on my butt.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:26 AM   #38
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Quote:
The Every Other Day statement was kind of directed at the folks that say I use plenty of water when Flushing. Well if you do that boondocking you'll be empty that every other day
We dry camp every winter in Quartzsite for the past 14 years, except for this year, and we use lots of water to flush. I use a blue boy every 10 days to empty my black and even after putting 2 full bowels of water after dumping I have only about 15 gallons of black water.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:18 AM   #39
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
....any septic safe TP that doesn't feel like sandpaper on delicate places. Omly been doing this a few years and since our pop up days beginning in 1971. The only poo pyramid ever needed to be removed was supplied by the sellerin a used TT. Currently it's Walmart's Great Value since that's all they had on the shelf a month or so ago.

There is a You Tube video showing which TP breaks down fast - couldn't find it this AM though
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:52 AM   #40
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Okay I used to laugh at those who had a bidet. Covid and the TP hoarders made me rethink it it at home. With a Bidet TP is just used for drying. But the one thing bidet users do not share is you open the valve slowly. Ours at home starts out as washing, then open it more and it becomes an enema, and all the way it becomes colonoscopy prep.
Oh and biggest mess can be cleaned up with 4 squares..

Just do not show your 3 year old grandson it doubles as a squirt gun.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote