Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #41
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
They had these steps on some of the units while we went through the factory tour this last September at the Fall Rally. They are MUCH sturdier than the fold out steps that have been on the units previously. The only draw backs we could see is the distance it takes to fold them down from the door. Yes, they are only about a foot to a foot and a half out further than the fold outs BUT that is when they are on the ground. When you go to fold them out they are about 3-3 1/2 foot out from the unit when at a 90* angle from the door jam. ALSO if it is muddy or raining when you are packing up the unit and the new steps are wet from the rain, where does all that water and dirt/mud go when you fold up the steps? It all goes inside the Montana and at the doorway unless you take the time to wipe them down before putting them up and into the doorway again.

Deb H-- they do have a railing/handrail that you attach to the steps for an additional handrail. If I'm not mistaken, the cost on that additional handrail is about $70-80 and it bolts onto the steps. IF you look at the picture posted by GLS3950 you will see four holes on the slide side of the doorway of the steps that are by second and third step going up. Those are set up for the handrail to be bolted onto the steps themselves and it does go up with the steps and go inside the unit when raising them back into the doorway unless one wants to take it off every time your bring the steps up. I'm sure it would be dependent on the model you have if the handle would hit anything inside when the steps are folded up inside the unit. They had a set on display at Mor/Ryde when we took the tour of their plant and they had the handrail connected to them and they folded the handrail and all up with the steps. I did not measure the distance it set out from the steps when they are in the up position but it did not look like it was over a couple of feet anyway. Most units do not have anything that close to the door so the handrail would work inside the unit when bringing in the steps.

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #42
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Certainly one may have to be more particular of having a set of clean steps before folding them into the 5er, perhaps even a quick splash of water.
Can't see this being any worse that how dirty our door matt and entry area gets during wet weather.

Now, that optional hand rail looks like another real bonus!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #43
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
Has anyone looked at / purchased the GLOWSTEP Revolution by Forklift.
they fold up under the door way like the OEM black steps.

Approx.$500 - but solid first step. Maybe worth it.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:33 AM   #44
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I installed the glow steps last year and they work great, Lots of adjustability. Just slightly more time to deploy that normal steps. Camper does not move anywhere near as much when you walk up them.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:49 AM   #45
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
If you find a link to that video I would like to see it. Looking at that set up I don't see how it would fold up inside the Montana unless you pull it off the hinge.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #46
PeteMorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #19208
Our 3820FK came with the new steps, and the jury is still out on how much of a plus they really are.

The are certainly much sturdier than the traditional fold out steps and you do feel very comfortable using them. There is a built in "dustpan" that sits on the floor when they are in a vertical position, thereby preventing some of the leftover dirt from dropping onto your floor or carpet.

On the negative side, they do require more clearance space as you swing them up or down into position. As others have mentioned unless you are 6' tall you will have an issue locking or unlocking the door without the assistance of a step. Your trailer door must be wide open or they will not clear and subsequently leave a mark in your door. And, if they are not in the precise position when you go to close up the trailer the screen door and the trailer door will not close properly. This includes having the t-handle that locks them in completely horizontal or it's a no go.

They do have pluses and take aways but at the end of the day they are just something new to get use to.
PeteMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #47
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
We saw these at the dealer this past week, and thought they were just for showing off the 5th wheels on the lot, and then they would put the 4 step models back on, But when they showed us that they were permanent, I commented on how heavy they were, and also on our storage lots, I don't think there is enough space between RV's. to open these steps up? So I'm not sure if this new design is the answer or not? We love our 4 step model that folds up with the rug attachments on them? Is there a problem of these failing with too heavy of a load? Just wondering why they were thinking they needed to go away with the folding 4 step model?
Old 11-07-2016, 06:15 AM   #48
snowbiz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12991
We added them at the rally in September and really like them! They are extremely sturdy and have a great no-slip tred on them. Susie's mom (who wouldn't even come up the stairs) and our two dogs are big fans. They secure tightly in the door frame and not too heavy to lower down by either one of us. MorRyde installed and we did have to take off the screen guard and reposition the grab bar on the screen door...no big deal. We've used them for about 2 months at many campgrounds, state parks and rest stops with no issues. They are only 8-9 inches longer that what we had. The bottoms are adjustable for uneven terrain so we've had no problems. We do sweep off the stairs so dirt doesn't drop on the inside floor.
snowbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #49
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snowbiz

We added them at the rally in September and really like them! They are extremely sturdy and have a great no-slip tred on them. Susie's mom (who wouldn't even come up the stairs) and our two dogs are big fans. They secure tightly in the door frame and not too heavy to lower down by either one of us. MorRyde installed and we did have to take off the screen guard and reposition the grab bar on the screen door...no big deal. We've used them for about 2 months at many campgrounds, state parks and rest stops with no issues. They are only 8-9 inches longer that what we had. The bottoms are adjustable for uneven terrain so we've had no problems. We do sweep off the stairs so dirt doesn't drop on the inside floor.
Thanks for your review of the new steps, all sounds good. Once again we believe this is a nice upgrade for the Montana line.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #50
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
Camping world.????
Just found out my dealer here in tRulsa is being bought out by camping world.
There buying all the inventory. I talked to my service guys and they are all staying ,they said they were going to make ir a collision center
There going to keep the keystone grand ,just hope they will keep the montanas. I hope the service dept. will still be good with the guys still there
okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #51
bsolomon

M.O.C. #18153
Send a message via MSN to bsolomon
Hi I have 2017 3820 and the stairs are great but I have not driven the rig myself since we have an annual site. Love the 5th wheel being that it has three distinct rooms. Few design flaws but a great rig.

Thanks Barry
bsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #52
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We love ours
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #53
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
I bought these steps in March at Mor-Ryde while having the independent suspension installed. Mine do not fold. They are very light. I have brackets that are permanently installed on the outside just below the thresh-hold and the steps have clips on them that easily snap on and off.I store mine inside the basement sometimes on top of everything and sometimes i store it on it's edge. If i stop[ at a truckstop then i just use the original fold out steps and leave the Mor-Ryde steps in the basement. My wife has two artificial knees so this is why i bought this step. This step is not a inconvenient to use. If you have the room in your basement then i would buy the detachable step. This step has an 750lb weight capacity and was tested to 1,000 pounds before showing any compromise in the step. Also i bought their sliding tray for the basement so you can store the step on top of all your junk and just slide the tray in and out to retrieve your step.
kenneth e holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:05 AM   #54
MAwolcott
Established Member

M.O.C. #19237
We have them on our new 3791. I didn't realize on the way taking her home the first time that my dead bolt wasn't locked. The door opened up twice on me from hitting a couple nice bumps. Once I locked the dead bolt, I didn't have any issues. The steps are MUCH more sturdy than the old fold out ones.
MAwolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #55
MAwolcott
Established Member

M.O.C. #19237
The steps fold up and store INSIDE the door. There is a handle that locks them in. So when you're going down the road, you don't see them.
MAwolcott is offline   Reply With Quote