Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2015, 05:21 AM   #1
bmar9964

M.O.C. #16032
Connecting Ice Maker

We have a brand new 3610RE Montana. The dealer did not hook up the ice maker for the residential refrigerator. We had another dealer also refuse to hook it up. Is this typical? Do most owners just use ice trays instead of hooking the ice maker up? Is there a way to do it that still makes it possible to winterize and not get antifreeze into the ice maker?

bmar9964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
The easiest way is to take it way south for the winter
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:58 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I would think that when the water line is not connected to a water source that it would drain out the line...if the connection is outside the trailer or inside and lower than the icemaker as well as accessible by the owner. Of course, any water line routed outside the unit will freeze if it still has water in it. I used to use air to empty the water when I had my diesel pusher and never had an issue. Don't have a residental fridge in monte...dang! John
Old 04-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
You Have to use a Jump wire to energize the solenoid valve to allow pink stuff up into the Ice Maker. Yes in the spring you are going to have pink ice in the beginning no big deal. Or if you choose you can blow out the line but again you have to energize the solenoid to allow the air to blow out the line. Hopefully you have access to the bottom rear of the refrigerator from the outside. We have a park model we have to roll unit out from the wall to access the solenoid valve.

So the question is would Ice trays be a better choice?
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #5
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
The pink stuff won't hurt you (might not taste very good tho!). You could just dump the first few cycles of cubes out. We always dump out old ice at home anyway.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

The pink stuff won't hurt you (might not taste very good tho!). You could just dump the first few cycles of cubes out. We always dump out old ice at home anyway.
Yep about third cycle of Ice the pink is gone!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We use a portable icemaker, that while the ice cubes might be smaller does the job. Our rig's fridge is too small to want to use any space for ice and ice equipment. We don't even use ice trays any more to allow that space for other stuff.

I'm sorry I just realized I didn't answer your question, but I just wanted to restate the room wasted for ice, but then I'm not a big cocktail drinker. It sounds weird, that if you bought a rig with it equipped for it, then the dealer reluctance makes this feature you may have paid for a waste of money. Now THAT would make me unhappy.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
It is a residential, so much larger than a regular RV gas/electric refrigerator.