Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
Montana_1981

M.O.C. #1981
Air Conditioners

We have a 2004 3685FL with a single air conditioner and it seems like it is not able to cool the whole unit especially the front room. Does anyone else with this model have the same problem?
TIA

Montana_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
hi, i have a 2004 3655fl. the models are somewhat alike. i have 3 slides you have 4. i also have one air conditioner, with the big, main vent in the kitchen. on that vent there is a slide to open or close the vent. if you have it open you will get about 70% of the air in the kitchen and 30% in the bedroom and living room. if you close that vent you will push the air to the bedroom and living room. hope this helps.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
We've noticed that, in "warm" weather [over 85F] and an unshaded location, a single 15K BTU A/C will be hard pressed to maintain more than a 20 degree temperature differential between the inside and outside temps.

I'd suggest exploring the possibilities of getting a second A/C installed.

[Our '03 3655FL came with two and we've been very happy to have them both.]

One thing you might like to try (other than moving to a more shaded spot) is to use a dehumidifier. We found a small-sized one that's helped tremendously, especially in humid areas, to prevent freeze-up.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
Montana_2048
Established Member

M.O.C. #2048
Hey Jim... You are not alone as we have noticed the same thing in our Big Sky. I plan to add the bedroom unit as soon as I can get the time to get the rv down to Camping World

Happy travels!

Roy
Montana_2048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
Ours is the 3670RL Big Sky and yes, we have found that the it takes a long time for the single unit to truly cool down the rig. While we are camped in a campsite with electricty we run an table model oscillating fan in bedroom. That seems to help at night when it is really warm. We've learned from a reputable source that rigs like all of ours need that second unit to do an efficient job.
#29 fans Chuck and Linda Clements
04 3670RL Big SKy
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:41 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the 3400RL and am having the same problem. The single a/c is just not enough for a coach of this size. I am going to be installing the second a/c in the bedroom this spring. I also put a fan in the coach and that did seem to really help. The main a/c will run all day nonstop unless you keep the temp with 15-20 degrees of the exterior temp. Since we have temps reaching over 100+ in the summer, 80 on the inside is better but not by much. For those who have put the second a/c in the bedroom, how much did it raise your height overall? Also did you go with a 13,500btu or go with a 15,000btu a/c? Thanks for the info..
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:06 AM   #7
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
This won't be pretty but it will help.

First you need a caulking gun and some caulk... I like Altex latex...cheap cleans up with water tastes great!!

Pull the air filter. Inside the space you will find two big holes into the attic space with a couple of wires running through them. Caulk everything, sealing all the holes and replace the filter.

Remove the diffusers on the ceiling vents. They snap on, grab the edge and kind of roll them toward the center.

Steal the wifes compact..you need the mirror not the powder If you shine the flash light in one diffuser (louvers removed) you can go to the next diffuer and check the duct with the mirror. Look for collapsed or disconnected ducts.You may need help here or very long arms.

While your looking up in the holes you will probably notice some of the silver duct material is covering the hole, kind of a crescent shaped slice along the edges.This is not good.It means cold air is being pumped into the attic spaces.If you reach up there on the opposite side from the crescent, you can feel that there is a gap in the duct work.

Grab a sharp wife... I mean knife.A steak knife will do. Cut the silver crescent out of the ceiling diffuser houseing. The duct should now fit around the plastic. Save the silver crescent.

Now the fun part....Goop some caulking into your hand and glue the silver bit into the hole on the opposite side of the ceiling diffuser, sealing the duct to the diffuser.There is no easy way to do this ... or keep clean so enjoy.

Now you can feel smug... you are no longer trying to air condition the great out doors.Time for refreshments.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:10 AM   #8
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
My 3650 RK has one untit, and is also one of Montana's Biggest Units, and I never have a problem. I make sure the vent in the Kitchen is closed, so air goes through the duct work instead. We travil to Myrtle Beach every year, right on the beach where it is hot and humid, and never have a problem at all. We have hookup for a 2nd ac unit, but dont find the need for it. I think if you make sure there is nothing blocking your airflow in the ducts, as was suggested in another post here, you might so a lot better results.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:52 PM   #9
chopstyx57
Established Member

M.O.C. #736
Jim & Cheryl, we have a 3400RL and had an additional 15000 BTU A/C put in the bedroom before we took delivery in May. We spent the majority of June and all of July in the Phoenix area visiting our daughters and we were able to keep the coach at a cool 70 degrees during the heat of the day with no problems. It cooled down to the low 100s to upper 90s in the eve and the main unit would cycle off at night it got so cool.
For no more than another 15000 btu unit costs (I think it was 700.00 installed)I highly recommend the second unit. As a friend once told me, "Life is to short to be deprived of a little cool air"

PS...in hot weather, if your unit has "quick cool" open it up and use the ducting only in the eve.

Happy RVing!
chopstyx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:40 AM   #10
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I can relate to all, If you start your air in the morning before the heat it should keep your unit pretty cool. Open the luvers so the the living area would cool down, when evening comes close the luvers so the air may flow through out your unit. I also keep the celling fan on to help move the air and keep the door close.
Hope this helps.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote