Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #21
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto Garry, I have put in the request for Croftgate products to Santa (DW). I have washed the previous rigs a grand total of once a year, cleaned the roof on the 3400 once, did not clean the roof on the 3750, and thanks to a big downpour at Thanksgiving was blessed with a clean new rig without any assistance from me! All upkeep and maintenance (actually mods) will be internal until next Easter when the Christmas Croftgate presents will be put to use. I clean the boat once before Spring commissioning and once during the summer. Vehicles are on an as-needed basis. I guess I would rate myself as being only some-time obsessed??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Well I must admit that all my vehicle must be spotless inside and out. I even go a step additional and detail the undercarriage of all of them too. Frame, springs, you name it, it must be in clean of dirt and rust or I am not happy. This is me, and I would never expect anyone else to clean and polish like me. That being said, I have never had any issues selling my vehicles. Usually my neighbors grab them up as they still look like they came off the showroom floor. Now when I got the Montana, boy I had a lot of work to do. The undercarriage had a some rust and all the black pipe and fittings were not painted. Well guess what, the bottom side is all detailed and looks fantastic. I like it, but a lot of hours on my back to make it happen. Was it necessary? no, but it is the way I take care of my stuff. Our Montana has already been waxed, roof cleaned,(was not white when I got it.)and just detailed before I shut it down for the winter. I wash it usually once or twice a month, as the road, gets it quite dirty. My SOB was taken care of the same way, for 10 years of ownership, and if you didn't know it was 10 years old and pulled for 50,000 miles you would have never known it. Kind of scary if I think about the many, many, hours I spend on all my vehicles, but to me, it is worth it. It makes me happy. Just a side note, going through this routine, I do find many items that need to be addressed, or problems could/would arrive later during our travels. I believe this is one factor of why I have so few issues with my stuff while on the road.

Jay
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
I'm able to wash mine 3-4 times per year, as it sits right next to my house. Usually I hitch up, pull forward and wash the Monty (including the roof) and truck at the same time before a trip. Unfortunately, the trim still looks kind of dingy and the peeling decals make it look like a FEMA trailer. But I don't sweat that as I figure there will always be at least a handful of other Montanas in the park with peeling decals (counted 4 of 5 over Thanksgiving), so I will blend right in!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Recumbent

I recently found Croftgate products thanks to being at the Fall Rally and that we can wash the Monty easily with only one gallon of water. So, I washed the truck, car, and Monty. They all look good, but will need it again maybe in January. I would never do the wax-on wax-off thing as it's just not me. Observed my father doing all mechanical maintenance properly until time-age prevented, then in his 80's he hired it all done including oil changes. However, he never washed anything unless it was required to be cleaned in order to operate properly. This last week we left the 89 Ford farm truck outside when it rained, and the rusty hood and dented sides are all now rinsed off.
Love the Croftgate products!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #25
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
I am with Hook....Love the Croftgate products...I use Aquanil-X and the Quick Slick wax....

I buy a bag of the micro fiber towels at Home Depot and spray on and wipe off with a little buff with the towels....been beading water for 6 months plus...

use the stuff on the truck and M/C's as well...

Oh and you can eat off any of them...I was taught by my father...a clean car, machine, etc. is a lot easier to work on and enjoy!

Old 12-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #26
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I've always kept my toys clean and well maintained, heck when I borrow a tool, I return it cleaner then how I received it.
It's getting harder and harder for me with my back pain. I've always done my own repairs when I could. Almost always fixed what the dealers couldn't.
It's real hard for me to pay (lets say to wash the Monty)for something that I can, but at times can't anymore.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #27
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Late March our Monty gets the full hand wax with Mequires Boat and RV Wax. Thetford rubber roof cleaner and conditioner for the top and next month I start the inside spring cleaning for the 014 season. A real through cleaning that includes wood oil on all the trim work etc. I just take my time and helps pass the winter away. Summer months, the Monty gets washed twice a month with Camco RV Wash and Wax.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #28
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
A clean truck and trailer is a happy truck and trailer.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #29
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brooksider

A clean truck and trailer is a happy truck and trailer.
Joe
Like!
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #30
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
Great post Artemus. I am with you. Everybody does not feel the same way though. I always say that maintenance is cheaper than repairs.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #31
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
I apologize for offending anyone looking at our rig/truck.

Hope you can still have a nice day anyway.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #32
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I used to be just like Jay Hudson regarding cleanliness and care of things I own but age and infirmity is starting to catch up with me and time is at a premium (I retire in 1 1/2 years) so the Monty may not be as clean or shine as much as I'd like but I do take care of all the maintenance (or have it done). I still do all my basic maintenance on the truck and I did just come back from having it washed. DW says all my stuff looks brand new. I do get high dollar when I sell things because I take care of my stuff.
Why do I do that? Easy... I worked too darn hard to get it and I earned every penny. My dad was the same way. My son is headed in the right direction.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote