Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Ours split. Local dealer sent pictures to Keystone, and they sent a new top. After three years Keystone repaired the wall in our closet. I credit my LOCAL DEALER for stepping up and Keystone for being responsive. Keystone protects it's dealers, only rightly so. Local dealers protect their customers, only rightly so. You're dealer, although 1000 miles away, can probably get you some help. JMHO

HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #22
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
When we were buying our second Montana, we learned that the dealer usually absorbs about $1500 worth of unreimbursed warranty repairs across their lines (not just Keystone). So, much of the work that is expected to be done by the dealer will only get done at the selling dealer. The RV industry is much different than the auto industry. I have had much better luck at my selling dealer than elsewhere. Also, like it or not, the RV industry makes very little of their product. Tires, axles, frames, appliances, furniture (including tables) is bought in bulk. They honor the warranty but not much more. Think of the RV industry as "assembly only". Sorry for your troubles.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #23
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Yes I realize this. When we bought our Montana we saved over $20,000 by buying it from a dealer in Iowa so for the money I have saved I can afford to buy a new table if I have to. It is very interesting that Keystone acted so dumb on the table subject only to find out that other Moc'ers have had the same problems. I have contacted my selling dealer in Iowa this morning and he has already answered my e-mail, now thats service! I will buy from them again whether anything is done on the table or not.
Thanks
restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:22 AM   #24
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Ok just thought I would let everyone know that we got an answer from our dealer that Keystone won't do anything about our cracked table. The dealer told me that a new table with freight would cost over $500.00 Wow! Thats a lot of money for something that will only crack again because they told me that the tables are the same table, built by the same company, so I will check with my local shops here to see about building me a new table top. Sure leaves me a sour feeling when we go to get a new RV next spring! I won't be looking at Keystones line any more! Service after the sale is not something Keystone believes in. They more or less told me that.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You had better find out what manufacturers the table vendor makes that same table for so you do not buy a brand that has that table.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #26
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I'm sorry to hear that your table cracked and that Keystone won't give you any help. When it comes to service after the sale we have gotten help from Keystone long, long after the sale.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #27
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
I am sorry for your troubles, but my experience - with both Keystone and my dealer - has been excellent thus far. And, I had a cougar before this rig and got excellent service then also. So....something to ponder?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #28
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Well I have have nothing bad to say about my dealer, he helped me out as much as he could. Keystone however told me that they already went beyond the call of duty on my rig because they had to fix the refrig when the unit was new. So they told me they could not help me on the table.....what a bunch of bull. The refrig kept shutting off because of someone misplacing a wire in manufacture, not my fault, but the Keystone rep e-mailed me and told me that it was in my file that they worked on my rv while under warranty so I should be more than happy to buy a new table from them. Over my dead body would I give them another cent. I am having a local cabinet shop build me a new solid oak table and the guy there after seeing the old table said that all the glue joints were faulty and they would eventually all fall apart. he says he always puts wafer joints in all his glued together table tops and has never had one come apart. He builds them for bars ect so they get one hell of a lot more ruff service than my kitchen table! He told me that a lot of that stuff comes from China so go figure, they must get their tables from the same place they get their tires.
Sorry to say but this will be the last Keystone built RV that I will own, not because of the unit but because of the poor customer service I have received from them
Old 09-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #29
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
Other than the refridge fixed and the table that cracked after warranty have you had any other issues with your 326 Mountaineer? I can understand your frustration and it's too bad for keystone they lost a 2nd time buyer based on poor customer service. WE have a 2012 326 Mountaineer and looks like I'll be watching the table for cracks as well.
F3fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #30
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
No not a second time buyer but this was my fifth Keystone RV and their won't be a sixth. I will look at another brand when we get our new one in the spring. I never did have many problems with the other rv's other than the one that the siding delamanated, it was also a Keystone and they didn't stand behind that either. It was also out of warranty. I guess if you buy Keystone you better plan on trading up every year so you keep them in warranty so they may fix the problems when they arise but don't bank on them to fix anything. I also believe that a one year warranty for something that often costs more than a house is kind of a rip off but the whole industry gets away with it. I think that is why the quality control of the entire industry is lacking. Many people say to buy an extended warranty but those seldom pay off either. I guess I will just take my chances with the standard warranty and hope that everything kind of holds together.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #31
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
I haven't had to deal with Keystone customer service yet since we purchased our first Mountaineer just last month. I did have to call our dealer
To replace our frig vent cover that came off when bringing it home and a broken AC vent cover on LR AC. They promptly fedexed us the parts so we
didn't have to drive 150 miles to get them. Just discovered one chair has a tear so we will see what they say about that.
I do have to say that we have also had 3 Sunnybrook Titan FW's and each one the workman ship got worse and Sunnybrook didn't really care.
I could write you a book about our last one so I don't think many rvs, dealers or companies care about anything except the almighty dollar. They also had
Decals come off and would not even think about replacing them. Surely hope we don't have the problems like that with this one. My husband also makes beautiful furniture and we also had our dining room table split. You just never know.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #32
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Restez,

Sorry to hear about your issues with the table. it is very unfortunate that a rather simple issue has ballooned into such a contentious subject.

Although not knowing all the specifics of the construction of the table, etc. I have done a lot of custom wood working and IMHO, you can spend big bucks or little bucks on an item but you will not control the mother nature aspect of the equation. Regardless of whether you use just a "glue" joint or dowel or biscuit the joint with glue, wood expands and contracts, absorbs and expells moisture depending on the conditions. I have seen finger jointed panels and tops "check" or crack right next to the joint because the wood wanted to expand or move and since it could not at the joint it found another place to relieve it's stress.

Now that's not to say that maybe there was not sufficient glue at the joint, but regardless you cannot predict what a solid piece of wood will do. Certain species of wood are more prone to checking or cracking like this (red and white oak, beeche and sycamore)and unless you keep the inside conditions at a constant you subject the wood to even more stresses.

That aside, warranties are warranties. We just forked out $4G's for a new ABS unit for the truck because the pump was out of warranty (by 4 months). Not happy but I understand business and somewhere a business will say no when it comes to something like this. My suggestion is to contact Keystone again and aske to speak with a CS supervisor and explain that the issue again and how you are a 5 time owner and was hoping to purchase number 6 shortly and that you don't want this simple issue to end a long relationship in a messy divorce!

JMHO.

LEs

Old 09-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #33
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Very true, and a warranty is only as good as the company behind it. I have moved on and am having a new table built. Not a big deal, I had to pay out of pocket $3900.00 for new injectors for my truck out of warranty by only 6 months but GM did finally refund me $1200.00 after I pleaded my case to them so they did at least have a little compassion for out of warranty work.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #34
GA Mountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11997
Well put another cracked table on the list, but we still have a little warranty left. Dealer took pictures and sent them to Keystone, we'll see what happens.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD
GA Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #35
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
Take the top off and find someone that has a biscut joiner. Have them put at leat 3 biscuts in and then reglue it. Make sure the old glue is removed. This will make the joint stronger and more stable. If the craftman has a festool domino it is even better.
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:14 AM   #36
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Thanks everyone