Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Travel to Nova Scotia

It has been a while since I've posted a message on MOC. Seems that my interest have been everywhere but on the Montana until recently.

I am starting to plan a trip to Novia Scotia next Fall and am looking for threads that I can read in regard to traveling to Nova Scotia. Can anyone point me to some threads that discusses travel to Nova Scotia? It doesn't seem as though the MOC site has a search feature.

DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DrivesBGM

I am starting to plan a trip to Novia Scotia next Fall and am looking for threads that I can read in regard to traveling to Nova Scotia. Can anyone point me to some threads that discusses travel to Nova Scotia? It doesn't seem as though the MOC site has a search feature.
There is a search feature located in the third line from the very top.

Having said that, You can get a very good tourist booklet from the province just for the asking. Be warned, that as of now (and that might change) the ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia will not be operating next year. The Canadian Maritime Provinces are all well worth a trip. To get to Nova Scotia you have to go through New Brunswick and you are very close to PEI. I don't know what your time frame is but if you have all summer you could see all three NB, NS, & PEI for the trip of a lifetime. I have done all three several times but we live with in a days drive. If you want more information let me know.

EDIT try this link http://www.toad.net/~cholmes/

I went to the search page and clicked the search archives box. You do have to wade through some stuff.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Thanks for setting me straight on searching the MOC!!!

Cmdr Dewey,

Since you live so far North (and have done PWI & NS many times)perhaps you can answer my single most important questions with some authority.

I am planning on leaving my home in Woodstock, Virginia on the 26th of September 2010 and traveling around 4000 miles covering points of interest in NS & PEI. My wife and I cannot leave before the 26th but do not need to be home until November 1st. That gives us 36 days to cover 4000 miles and see the sights.

Do you think that we are trying to cover too much in in too short a time? And am I silly to want to be in NS in late October weather wise?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig McCarter
Old 12-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Check campsite available status, at that time many of the campgrounds in NY and points north are closed for the season.

Just something to think about

Good luck and have fun!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Carol - Good point about campgrounds. Many northern ones close in early October!

If I were to go in the Summer. Lets say between June 14th to around the end of August. That would give me a lot more time to travel at a leasurily pace and stay longer and see more along the way. But ... what can I expect crowd wise in the summer? With today's economy along with the high price of fuel, do you think I would have any problems with crowded campgrounds and tourist attractions?

Thanks,
Craig
Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al and I want to do that trip, Nova Scotia, his grandmother was born there, in Yarmouth. Mid June to August end sounds good to me. Wish we could join you! But, I have been told to stick around MI this summer, there is a wedding brewing!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We spent quite a bit of time in Nova Scotia last year on our way to and from Newfoundland

Here is the link to it if you would like. http://mytripjournal.com/Billandhelen

When you get to the blog just click on the Newfoundland journal
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I would definitely do it in the summer. Virtually all parks in Maine close by Columbus Day and I assume they do in Canada as well. Snow and bad weather are real possibilities in the entire region any time after Columbus Day. Most of what you are going for is scenery and yes, there can be crowds in the summer but it is not terrible. Allow me to provide an outline which you will have to fill out. Most of the time you can plan as you go and have never been unable to find a campground. You say you are willing to travel about 4000 miles and what I am about to tell you will just about meet that. Remember, much of what you are going for is scenery so stop often and take lost of pictures.

Get into Maine the easiest way for you. Take the Maine Turnpike and 295 all the way to Houlton. Irving in Houlton is the cheapest fuel you will see for a long time so take advantage. Take route 1 north until you can cross to Ste Leonard. Take PH 17 out of Ste Leonard and then follow around New Brunswick on the 17 and the 11. Mirimachi has some of the best Salmon fishing in the world. Kouchibouguac National Park is well worth a couple of days. In Shediac, take the 15 and cross the Confederation Bridge to PEI. There is a visitor center just across the bridge and you should stop there. The bridge is free going over but the last time I went over it was $54 coming back. Most of the interesting stuff is between Summerside and Charlottetown. Some highlights for us were the miniature castles, in Kensington, Anne of Green Gables and particularly the musical of Anne of Green Gables in Charlottetown. That sells out and if you want to go, tickets well in advance is a necessity. (FYI My grandsons, 16 and 14 loved it) Leave the Island via the ferry at the east end, Wood Island. I haven't done that in years but I'm told it is the same charge as the bridge. When you are back on the mainland go east to Baddeck. There are several campgrounds in Baddeck. Pick one for at least two and preferably three nights. Take the Cabot Trail out of Baddeck. Most people prefer to go around in a clockwise direction. You'll know why. Don't go in bad weather but be sure and stay long enough to do it in good weather. It takes a full day to go around and you could take more time. Don't take the trailer.

There is a salmon museum near the start of the trail and we spent two much time there. I would skip it or go back another day, perhaps if the weather is bad. That could also be the day you go the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck.

After you have seen this area, make your way north and east toward Louisbourg. Fortress Louisbourg is a must see in our opinion.

You have now gone about 1650 miles and you can do that fairly well in two weeks, three would be much better. That would allow some poking around in out of the way spots where you find much of the charm and allure of the Maritimes.

If this is helpful and you want more let me know and I will do the second half of the trip

Get into
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Cmdr Dewey,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to provide the detailed information. It is so nice of you to provide me with the framework to plan our Novia Scotia trip. And yes, if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to have your thoughts on the second half of the the Novia Scotia adventure.

Craig
Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
If you look at my signature below, there is a blog link to our trip to the Maritimes a few years ago. Should give you some ideas. I think that taking the ferry to PEI and bridge back is cheaper. You only pay to return and the ferry was $$$$$! Enjoy.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Can't tell you how to plan it, but can heartily recommend Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI will make a great tour in July and August.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #12
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
We are from Bedford Nova Scotia. If you are planning a trip up our way in the fall then I would highly recommend The Celtic Colours. October 7 -15. If you Google this you will see that there is many interesting events taking place up our way in the fall. My DW and I have gone up for this 10 day event many times. You can golf, salmon fish and take in fall colors if you are a camera buff. The ideal place to stay during your trip would be; http://www.baddeckcabottrailcamp.com/. This campsite is nestled in at the start of the Cabot Trail. From this location you can do many day trips to view a lot of site.
Feel free to e-mail us with any other questions on the Maritime Provinces.
Andy
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote