Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Got Rear Ended in TV

I got rear ended in the TV today. The main impact was on the right rear of the truck. I was stuck by an older model Cadillac which is fairly low in the front end. When it hit it ran up under my truck and struck the back of my right rear wheel which caused the wheel to be knocked forward bending the leaf spring. Most of the impact was absorbed by the rear bumper and this wheel; but, it did crumple the right outside of the bed. There is probably other hidden damage that I could not see. Since this is my TV, do any of you who might have had this happen to your TV have any advice as what to make sure gets checked during the repair. I just want to make sure that after my truck is repaired it still pulls the Monty OK. Thanks for any advice.

ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Sorry to hear about your mishap, but glad no one is hurt. First thing is to make sure their is no damage to the frame. Make sure they check straightness. Next, look at the suspension and make sure the body hasn't shifted on the frame. They will no doubt look for bed problems, but I would also check hitch alignment. Just a few suggestions.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Bummer, I hope the other guy was insured. If so, you should have total choice of repair shops. I would ask around for the shop with the best reputation. Then I would tell them what you use it for and let them know that your greatest concern is not the cosmetics of repair, but the strength and reliability of the repaired TV.

As stated earlier, frame and wheel alignment would be a major concern. Have someone follow you after the truck is returned to see if you are tracking straight. If not, then return the truck to the repair facility for correction.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Sure sorry to hear about the accident -- I suggest that you also have the drive line checked for a bent axle tube from the differential -- if it hit hard enough to bend a leaf spring it definitely hit hard enough to warrant a good inspection on the axle tube and all welds involved.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:31 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sorry that happened to your new truck!

I've never had it happen, but would have the same concerns you are if it did.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:57 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Sorry to hear about that. My thought would be to take it back to a Ford dealer with an in-house body shop and let them go over it, both body and mechanical. Explain your circumstances, and the need to be sure that it is still fully capable of towing. That should give you some peace of mind. Hope that the insurance company steps up and does what is right.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
If the impact was enough to bend the spring the force was transfered clear into the transmission or if 4 wheel drive into the transfer box. The damage could be a lot more then meets the eye. Have it ALL checked out and even the motor mounts. Also see if the fan even hit the radiator. A lot of things could happen in a short time and once you release the insurance company it will be your baby.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
I want to thank everyone for all the suggestions that you have offered. There were several things that I had not even thought of. I will be sure to have all these things checked out. The fellow that hit me has Progressive insurance. I guess I will find out how they are to deal with tomorrow. I plan on calling my insurance first, just to notify them of what has happened and see if they have any suggestions on how to handle his insurance company. It is really good to have people such as all of you in this forum to turn to for advice when you need it. Again thanks for all your comments. I will let you all know how things turn out.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Buddy,
I don't think you will have any problem with Progressive. I have dealt with them on my claim, and again when someone else hit me having Progressive. Both times their service was exceptional. (Of course, things can change.)

Good luck. Sorry to read of your incident. Dealer repair facility seems to be the way to go.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Thanks Wayne, I had considered going to another repair shop that does really good work. They are AAA approved, and are on State Farm's (my insurance) "preferred" shop list. But, I think I agree with you, in this case it will probably be best, because of the possible frame and transmission problems, to go to a Ford dealer. The one closest to me is not where I purchased the truck; but, it probably has a bigger repair shop so I will probably have it taken there in the morning.

They might have to pull the bed off during repair. If they do, this means they will have to pull the fifth wheel hitch out of the bed. Do you all agree that if they pull the fifth wheel out, or even if they don't, that I should insist that my Montana dealer check out the fifth wheel and it's attachment before I give the insurance company a release? Or maybe even insist that my Montana dealer reinstall the hitch? Do you all think there is any chance that I can talk the insurance company into leaving any hidden problems open for maybe a year since the truck is so new (3800 miles)?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We were rear-ended a couple months ago by a small car. Did about $500 damage to the car, not a scratch on the truck. The car was low enough that it kind of went under the bumper. Didn't reach the spare tire which is above my trailer hitch.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Well, it looks like the cost for repair is up to $7300.00 so far. They are going to replace the complete rear axle housing since it bent the right axle tube. They will use all my original gears and parts except for the right axle which they said might be bent too. They are replacing the complete right side leaf spring assembly. They said that since the truck only had 3800 miles on it that the left spring should be OK to match up with a new right spring. I am going to check the curb height when they are finished to see if they both set the same height. They are going to have to put a complete right side bed assembly on the bed. I wasn't too happy about this; but, this seems to be the common practice for repairing when part of a bed is damaged. They are replacing the tail pipe assembly all the way forward to the first bolt together joint. The rear bumper is being replaced also. Everything is being replaced, nothing is being repaired. They said that they would do a complete drive line check for vibrations, noise, etc. after everything is back together. Oh, they are also going to check the RR wheel and tire for damage and replace if anything is found. The frame looks like it did not receive any damage; but, they are going to put it on a frame machine and check it out. So far Progressive Insurance has been pretty good. The adjuster is going to come to our house tomorrow to talk with my wife since she received a little bruising and soreness from the accident. I suspect he will try to convince us to sign a medical release. I do not plan on signing a release just yet. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? Thanks for all the help you all have given me. Geeeze, what a forum. I just love it.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Buddy, before you except the repair check. DON'T FORGET TO CHARGE THEIR INSURANCE COMPANY DEMINISHED VALUE also which should be about 18% of trade in value.
What that is.... If you are unaware is the Value of the truck has been deminished because of the wreck, weather it was repaired or not. The damage in this day and age with computers follows that truck from this point on. If you trade this truck most everyone will run a car fax report on it and it will show that it was involved in a wreck... As I stated before. It will follow the truck forever and you will suffer when trading it in or selling it out right. You need to have your insurance company assist you against the other insurance company so you are compensated for this lose. I hope my suggestion helps and prehaps someone with more insurance smarts will chime in on this and give you more advise.

Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Buddy,
Sounds like,fromthe damage you have described, you need a new truck for Christmas. Spell LAWYER, think about it, if you were looking at a used truck, and carfax listed frame/axle damage you would run. Now imagine what that will do for an allready falling used truck value if you try to trade. $7300 and counting is a lot of money for repairs adding to that deminished value, as John stated above, and now you have added injury.
By the way Nancy and I were at erlanger this past weekend enjoying the birth of a new grand daughter. That is one big hospital. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
I picked up my truck today. It really looks good. I expected some problem; but, I could only find a couple of very minor things that I asked the dealership to do when I picked it up. They had left a clamp off my Roll'n Lock bed cover and there was a small tab of metal under the side of the truck bed that they had replaced that I wanted them to bend up under the truck. They took care of both items right away. So far Progressive has been easy to work with. But, I suspect I will have a problem with what they want to pay me for diminished value. The dealership told me the value of the truck had diminished by anywhere from $1,500. to $3,000. due to the wreck. I just bet Progressive will not want to give me that much. Have any of you had any experience in this area in the past. Thanks for all your advice.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #16
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Buddy,

I am really sorry to hear about the accident and damage to your truck. I am amazed/impressed that you got it back so quickly! Just wanted to share with you that my father's TV was crushed under a branch (the size of a tree trunk) of a very ancient oak tree on their neighbor's property. Whole bed of the truck was crushed. Bad news was that they wouldn't total it due to the age (relatively new) of the truck and the percentage of damage. Good news is that the repairs were done very well, used all manufacturer's original, new parts (something Dad insisted on) and the truck tows just as it did before.

Good luck on the dimished value...just hold the line and you should be successful.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Buddy,
I'm going to be interested in what Progressive tells you. My personal feeling is that you will be surprised. What they would really like is to get you as a customer.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #18
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Hey Wayne, I am a customer. I have my Monty insured by Progressive; but, my truck is insured by State Farm. I'll let everyone know how the Diminished Value issue works out.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #19
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Buddy

Should State Farm does not listen to you on the deminished value... Just tell them you intend to run it buy your STATE INSURANCE COMMISSIONER'S OFFICE....You shouldn't need an attorney on this. as DIMINISHED VALUE is well known amoung the insurance people, just not TALKED ABOUT....to us regular folk's - OH, You will owe me a cup of coffee, next time we meet... ho ho ho

THEY DON'T WANT THAT... AND WHAT I SAID... TAKE KELLY BLUE BOOK """TRADE IN VALUE""" of your truck and then take 18% of the actual trade in value off... That should be your check from state farm.... Tell them John said so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us posted...
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #20
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I certainly wish you the best, buy my experience has been that once a vehicle has incurred that much damage, regardless of how or who repaired it...the vehicle will never ever be the same.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote