Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Tilex Cleaner

I am parked next to a 2003 SOB and the owners use Tilex on the full outside of their 5er. Since it was new. Looks great. They spray, use a washing brush, then rise. They don't wax so they don't care if it strips wax. They use it on the roof too. They do wax their graphics to prevent fading.

I have yellowing vinyl moulding, and black build up ( on the outside at every place Keystone rubbed caulking on the outside). I want to solve those issues. I have many hours of hand waxing on the monty.

What do you think of the Tilex solution?

Gene

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'd try Bounce first. Worked on my Hanna.

Some Montana's came with clear coat all the way around. All came with clear coat on front and back cap, is what I have heard. Using Tilex or other caustics could take the clear coat off. Don't think I'd like that.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It all starts with experimenting with Tilex on the caulking......

Before too long, Tilex is the only thing that will work and you need straight clorox for the roof.......

If you don't get help soon, you'll catch yourself with a rag and a bottle of Drano

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Brad, I told you not to use that stuff. Now, look what you have done.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't think I want to do the Tilex thingy. I don't like working with the kind of warnings that are on Tilex. Constantly exposing the rig harsh chemicals seems counter productive.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Brad, i understand the slippery slope you describe. Just a little, then a little more. Then you can't live without it!

That drano image has "sobbered me".

Hmmm.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tilex is loaded with clorox, which is why it might help on the caulking, but I would have thought it would take the color right out of the graphics, and would ruin your awning fabric and anything else with color.

There is a Tilex cleaner that is similar to 409. Maybe that's what he was using? I used 409 on the caulking this spring and it worked great.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #8
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
The SOB owner using the Tilex didn't say if it had bleech or not. We are still in the same CG so I will ask him. From the smell I think it had bleech.

He did say he uses it on the awning, and no fading. His awning looked fine to me. However, it was some sort of breathable stuff that he said he could use a water hose to blast the tilex thru from the underside.

I ask specifically about the graphics. His looked fine. And he said he did wax the graphics to keep from fading. That is he only thing on the rig he waxes.

Camping world sells a black streak remover that has lye in it. On the bottle that stuff says to rinse off graphics right away. I have used it a little in the spring after the streaks go away from me over the winter. It works, but I worried about in, so I just haul the weight around and don't use it. I guess that stuff is close to Drano !

Gene
Thanks for the tip about the 409.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If you have gone to the trouble wax your Montana...be careful with those potent cleaners...they will take the wax off. The label on Simple Green states when used at full strength, it is a 'wax remover.'
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Hey Brad, looks like you found the answer to "PEELING DECALS"! HA! that solid white looks pretty good> LOL
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote