Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Anyone stay at Fun-N-Sun in San Benito??

Colleen (Driftwood Gal) and Bob are headed there from the Austin area to do insurance adjusting work on the hurricane, she wanted me to ask you folks.
She heard it was muddy and had narrow spots, not what she was looking for, but if you know anything, please share.
She and Bob are running around getting supplies together for the trip.
They got new tires, got the Missions off, so that will be good.
Thanks MOC!
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

You are such a gentlemen. Thanks for posting the request for information. I have a breather for a minute waiting for pizza to get popped into the oven. Everything is loaded except for all of the food supplies and we will do that tomorrow morning. We may not be able to get through Harlingen if the water doesn't subside tomorrow.

Hopefully, I can keep people up to date as to what is going on down in their winter haven.

I have read some real neagative posts on a RV review web site about this park. Said there was lots of mud and rigs had to be pulled out by a 4 x 4's. This is where the company is looking to set up the main office, don't think they have real information about the place though.

So any help is appreciated if you have stayed there, or looked at the campground.

Thanks,

Colleen

PS. Thanks again Ozz
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen,

I have never been there, I think Al may have played pool there a few times.

IF, they do not have paved sites, then, the reports of mud probably are pretty close. When it does rain in the RGV, in our experience, it can get pretty sloppy pretty quick.

Trailer Life CD says:

700 grass sites
250 Pull through sites 32 X 55
back in sites 32 X 55
some side by side sites

Those are not huge sites, but, not bad either. when you consider you are 12 to 14 wide with slides open. the 55 long is a bit on the short size. I would bet there are a lot of empty sites?? And, you could park on another site if there are empties???

Be careful out there Colleen! Safe rides.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Ozz & Colleen: Bking (Bud & Pat) stayed at Fun-N-Sun last winter according to the RGV Directory I posted last winter. Maybe you can email him or perhaps he will post a reply.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Bill I will do so.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790

We stayed there during the winter of 2006-07...The wet winter...yes it can get muddy and there were many units stuck, there is very poor drainage so the water just lays in......there are sites with cement pads for your chairs etc but not for the RV..IF you do take a site that is on grass......go to Lowes and get some 2X8X 8 ft boards cut to size and put under the wheels..this keeps the tires from sinking and will increase chances of leaving the site without getting stuck. .... we may go back this year...DW likes it there.. I just follow instructions..

Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Thanks for the 1st hand post about the park. They have had tons or rain in the last two days, so we maybe searching for another park that has concrete or gravel spaces. I don't want to worry about tracking mud into the RV every time it rains.

It looks like they charge for WIFI, and we really won't have time to enjoy any facilities so I guess we will be looking around.

Thanks again for your post.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Try the Encore SUNSHINE RV on the north side of Harlingen near rte 77 and loop 499...the rates are similar to Fun n Sun..but I understand its a better park..when you call ask for Lonnie Huff...956 428 4137..he is a straight up guy and will answer your questions...we will likely be staying there ourselves...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote