Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Here's One For You

Just had my OEM converter replaced with a very fine Intellipower 9280, all covered under extended warranty. We were out with the Monty, got ready for a nice hot shower and the water was cooool! I was plugged into some good power. I thought maybe the electric coil tanked. Turned on the propane and went for breakfast. Got back, there was plenty of nice hot water.

Got home an started to troubleshoot. The 15 AMP circuit breaker for he hot water tank had tripped? Looked again and saw a blue spark! I ran out and unplugged the Monty. Looked close and my fingers in and around the circuit breaker and found that the wire for the hot water heater was NOT screwed in, it was laying right next to the attachment screw. Took off the breaker and attached the wire properly and no more problem. I bought the Monty new in 2005, this could have happened at any anytime. We really can do better Keystone!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Did you hook up the little led monitor? Warning, it flashes at night when the lights are off, but I still like seeing what the converter is doing.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Yes I did. And thanks for the suggestion on the converter. I really like knowing the status of the battery.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Okay, Stiles...What are you describing? Enquiring minds want to know...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:32 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The Intellipower 9280 converter has a small monitor that can be plugged into a telephone like connection. I has about a four foot lead to a match box sized monitor with a sticky back. You can put it somewhere out of the way.

The monitor is steady on if the converter is fast charging at 14+ amps. It blinks rapidly if it is charging at standard rate (13.6 amps) and slow blink if it is on standby, charging at a very low trickle. So it is easy to check the status of the converter output.

The converter has built-in circuitry to adjust up and down automatically based on the battery's need,i.e., the name "Intellipower".
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

The Intellipower 9280 converter has a small monitor that can be plugged into a telephone like connection. I has about a four foot lead to a match box sized monitor with a sticky back. You can put it somewhere out of the way.

The monitor is steady on if the converter is fast charging at 14+ amps. It blinks rapidly if it is charging at standard rate (13.6 amps) and slow blink if it is on standby, charging at a very low trickle. So it is easy to check the status of the converter output.

The converter has built-in circuitry to adjust up and down automatically based on the battery's need,i.e., the name "Intellipower".
The standard converter in most (but not all) Montanas is the IOTA 55. There is a similar module (called the IQ4) available for the IOTA converter. It too plugs in like a phone jack and has a display light. Using one of these smart controller adapters is essential in preventing battery overcharging and excessive water loss.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
You are absolutely right, I had that plug in with the Iota. What we are saying is that this remote pendant allows you to manually control the converter. That was not the case with the IOTA.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

You are absolutely right, I had that plug in with the Iota. What we are saying is that this remote pendant allows you to manually control the converter. That was not the case with the IOTA.
My replacement converter (not an IOTA) also has the three stage charger feature with the ability to select what ever stage you desire. The "blinking light" indicator is interesting (even if I have to stick my head into the basement to see it). I just haven't figured out why I would override what it wanted to do. Can anyone describe a scenario where it makes sense to override the charger?

If I recall, there used to be two different IQ4 modules? One just displayed the charging stage, the other let you select which one you wanted to use? One came in a plastic case and the other was in an aluminum one? It was a while ago and I just can't recall - advanced CRS at work.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote