Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North America MOC / Western Region
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 04:27 AM   #1
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Quartzsite, Anyone?

Is anyone planning to attend the Annual Sports, Vacation and RV Show in Quartzsite, AZ? The official dates are Jan 22-30, 2005. I'll probably be in the area for at least 2 weeks. Most RVers boondock, but there may be some FHU sites in town.

Old 11-20-2004, 07:37 AM   #2
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Hi Gypsy; Kelly & I plan on going to Quartzsite about the 17 of Jan. We will boondock in the "wash" area to the East of quartzsite out the "yellow boot road" about 4 washes.
If you prefer a trailer court, there are lots of them right in town, but you should put in your resevation now. A lot of people reserve year to year,its unbelieveable !!!! last winter, there were 1.5 MILLION RV's during Jan. & Feb. we will be meeting Dick & Nita Smith (from theMontana rally) and hope to see more Montana people there. Dave & Kelly Anderson
Old 11-20-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Folks,
We're leaving the 18th of January for the big Q. Will be there a couple of weeks. We're going to try to get last year's spot out on Palmosa Rd. About a mile and half to 2 miles off of 95. Hope to see you folks there.

HamRad
Old 11-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I hope everybody has a safe trip to AZ. Have fun and enjoy the wonderful weather. Happyrving.....
Old 11-24-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We will be going the third week in January and staying at Rice Ranch RV Park.

The dates are Jan 21 thru the 30th, Will have the Stars and Stripes Flag with the Indian on it Flying 30 feet in the air, off the rear ladder.

I sure hope that Quartsite didnt get wash away all the rain that has been falling for the last two weeks. I dont need mud camping.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:30 AM   #6
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
too far and no time to spare at the monent.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:38 AM   #7
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by GypsySCM

Is anyone planning to attend the Annual Sports, Vacation and RV Show in Quartzsite, AZ? The official dates are Jan 22-30, 2005. I'll probably be in the area for at least 2 weeks. Most RVers boondock,
----------------

Gypsy,

Nice to hear from you. Give a report on the performance of all that solar equipment when you get time.

Old 11-27-2004, 02:55 PM   #8
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Hi Jim,
The solar equipment is working just fine! I used it recently in Death Valley, where I dry-camped for a week. The day I arrived it was raining, so I supplemented the battery charge with my Yamaha 3000 generator, purchased 'just in case.' I fell into the habit of topping off the batteries every evening by running the generator for an hour or two just before quiet hours to be sure I didn't run short on power, but every morning I found I had plenty of power to spare, so I probably could have made it through the week on just solar power. Still, I was reluctant to trust the solar system alone because it was partly cloudy, the sun was low in the sky, and I didn't want to run the risk of discharging the batteries too far. As I gain more experience with the system, I'll probably depend less on the generator and more on the sun. Hope that happens in Q!
Old 11-28-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by GypsySCM

Hi Jim,
The solar equipment is working just fine! I used it recently ------------------------

Great! Good luck with your out fit Jan. in Qsite.

We will probably look the place over on day in Dec. before it gets crowded. Jan we got to be elsewhere.

Random Line
Old 11-29-2004, 09:42 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Well it sounds as if there will be a few of us at the Quartzite gathering. I'd try looking for you but it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Gypsy I'm really interested in the solar setup so keep us posted. I'd really like to see it while at Q so since we are going to be in the general vicinity I might try hooking up with you. If you have access to computer just look me up using my link to "Where are we".... That should give you a good idea. I can look for the Boomers group. I think I remember seeing signs last year....? What should I look for?

I've heard of some of these other places that folks will be staying at but do not know where they are. If any of you are hams then we'll be monitoring 146.520. Give us a call..

Jim... sounds like we'll miss you this year in Q. Enjoy it and from what I understand ..... Dec is when it really starts to build up so you may find a large number of folks already out there. Hope you got the "stinky" problem fixed.. Are you on the road yet? I assume you spent the holiday with the kids. We spent a week in our Monty down at our daughter's place in Simi Valley. Had a great time. Good luck.

OH... we now have trouble with the truck. Started noticing oil leaking.... looks like it may be the main engine seal. At least it isn't the tranny ....yet!!

See everyone soon.... HamRad
Old 11-30-2004, 05:34 AM   #11
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
HamRad - I'd love to get together with you in Quartzsite. The Boomers park southeast of town. Here are directions from the bulletin board:
Take exit 19 off of I-10 and go south to the stop sign. Turn left and follow the road around and you will eventually be heading east on the frontage road, parallel to the eastbound side of I-10. Go approximately 3.5 miles to the barricade/end of pavement. Turn right and go south on the primitive road approximately 1.75 miles. At this point the main road turns to the left, you turn right, and head west, off road, about .3 mile. You are now in "Boomerville." Look for signs. GPS coordinates - N33° 38.985' W114° 09.070'

Let's keep in touch as the date comes closer. I'll be there by Jan. 14, possibly earlier. I might spend some time with friends at a location just north of the Boomers, so check with me by phone - I think I gave you my number (if not, I'll email it privately).

Sorry you had trouble with your truck, and hope everything's repaired by now.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:38 AM   #12
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Since it looks like several of us will be in Quartzsite but probably parking in a variety of places, how about getting together for lunch/dinner? Does anyone have a favorite restaurant that could accommodate us? Should we pick a time, location and date, then ask for signups so we'll know how many places to reserve (if possible)?
Old 12-27-2004, 08:22 PM   #13
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
I'm spending Dec 31-Jan 4 at my new RV property in the Q Mountain RV Park, then return Jan 10-18 and attend the Bluegrass Festival in Blythe 13-15. Have a 20foot travel trailer now,but my Monty Big Sky should be ready for the 10-18. Will have to do some "moving" from one to the other...Don't know what I'm going to do with all that EXTRA ROOM!! Would like to try and make at least a day or two at the RV show, but have to work most of that time. It takes me about 4hrs to drive from Escondido (north San Diego County) to Q'zite. The Ponderosa Reataurant on Main Street (by the Main Event) has decent food and is pretty good sized. May want to consider there for a get together. Really looking forward to meeting other "Monties". Hopefully will be able to retire in about two yrs and see this great country of ours!!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:54 PM   #14
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
We should be there late Jan or Early Feb. We don't run too much of a schedule so can't say when. As we get closer, might post a "who's there and where are you".Dan
Old 12-28-2004, 03:21 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
BigSkyGuy, welcome aboard! We lived in Poway back in the mid to late seventies. My wife grew up in Chula Vista and our kids were all born there (my Navy days). We were in CV back in October. Many years ago an aunt/uncle owned a bowling alley and some other businesses in Escondido. My cousin's wife used to work at AAA there. They live out at Pine Valley now. Welcome to the Montana Owners Club. Congrats on the coming Montana. Be sure to let us know your adventures with it.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:02 PM   #16
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Thanks to all for the warm welcomes. Just went by the dealer and will have my "walk-around" on January 10th, and if all checks out , will be on the road to Q-zite on the 11th. Still planning on being there Dec31st-Jan4 and staying in my SMALL and CRAMPED 20-footer but family emergency may keep me from being there until the 2nd. Wishing you a very Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:59 AM   #17
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
We plan to be at the big RV show in Jan in Q'side. Never been so really looking forward to it.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:10 AM   #18
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Hi bigskyguy,

Welcome to the group and thanks for the suggestion of meeting at the Ponderosa Restaurant. That sounds good to me, but I checked their website and couldn't find verification that they have a location in Quartzsite, in fact, in the whole state of Arizona.

Does anyone know whether the place is still there? Has it closed?

I suggest we set a date and time to meet in advance of arriving in Q. Then I can check out the restaurant when I get there around the 15th and confirm whether they're open, or find another place if they're not. How does that sound?

Now the question is: Do you prefer Lunch or Dinner? Majority will rule.

Sharon
Old 01-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #19
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
GypsySCM,
I am so sorry! I can't believe I missed this post for over a month. I guess the CRS is more advanced than I thought. Thank you for the directions and the GPS coordinates. I'm sure you did give me your phone number but I've lost it. So please send it via email to me at HamRad@escapees.com . Mary Kay and I would love to meet up with you. Don't know if you are a shopper or not but Mary Kay is and will be looking for someone to go with. Just a fair warning.

I saw on the Escapees page where they were talking about getting together at the Stagecoach for a meeting. Apparently that restaurant burned down. They apparently are re-building it but don't know how far along they are. So folks are suggesting Taco Mia. An active SKP... Hikergirl... is working at a café called Palo Verde and is trying to get together with other SKPs. We might try getting in touch with her and seeing what's what.... Just a thought.

I think our truck is fixed. I'm still not 100% convinced since I still see a drop or two of oil from time to time. It was something called a high pressure external oil pump that was leaking from a bad gasket. They replaced..... at least I was told they had! And it is leaking much less. But I don't want it to leak ANY!!

Ok.. enough rambling. See you soon and have a great trip to the Q.

HamRad
Wonder which group I saw out north where we were last year? I know they were Escapees because I saw the logos. Oh, well. I'll find out soon.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:49 PM   #20
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
HamRad,

I sent my phone number to you by email. I'd love to go shopping with Mary Kay in Q. I'm only looking for a few things, but it's always fun to see what's new. Give me a call when you arrive.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. I'll check everything out after I get to town, around the 15th. And I'll look at the SKP forum also. The group you saw north of town last year could have been the Solos. I know several Escapees groups meet in Quartzsite every January.

Good to know your truck is fixed (hopefully).

See you soon!
Closed Thread