Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Problem with KOA and Autoformers

KOA at casey, IL off of I70. The owner asked us to remove our autoformer or leave the park. He didn't want us to ruin his new electrical system. Evidently at their last owner's meeting they were told to not allow autoformers in their parks. Bob gave him the info to read about autoformers but he wasn't interested. Now I wish we had a permanent install that isn't seen by the park mgr.
Myrna

Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Myrna,
Sorry to hear about your autoformer problem. It is best to have them "unseen" if you're going to use them. Many parks will not allow you to use them. Of course I wouldn't stay at a KOA unless I just had to anyway. We stayed in only one KOA this past summer. It was a nice park BUT it was by far the most expensive. Next time I would stay at another CG we found just a mile or two from the KOA.

So get that autoformer permanently installed.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:56 AM   #3
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
That is my next question... anyone with a 3400 that has this permanently installed, where did you put it?
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:59 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
How can the Autoformer hurt the parks electrical service?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:36 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

How can the Autoformer hurt the parks electrical service?
It can't hurt the park electrical service. Autoformers, when not boosting power draw about 1.5 amps so there is no load so to speak. If the parks power is so low that an autoformer is necessary then it's time for them to upgrade their power system. We shouldn't have to use an autoformer in order to run our appliances. I have one and have used it whenever the power is below 108 volts. I've never been told to disconnect it.

There are ways to "hide" an autoformer without having it pemanently installed. I've found that if you set it directly inside the curbside wheels, it is almost impossible to see, unless you are looking for it. There should be no reason that anyone would normally see it there.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:42 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also would like to know where to permanently install an autoformer in a 3400RL.

Orv, do you have a 50amp extenstion cord you run from park post to the autoformer and another from autoformer to the rig? My autoformer's cord would not reach to the wheels.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:55 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Didn't Glenn install one?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I also would like to know where to permanently install an autoformer in a 3400RL.

Orv, do you have a 50amp extenstion cord you run from park post to the autoformer and another from autoformer to the rig? My autoformer's cord would not reach to the wheels.
Yes Steve, I do. I also have appropriate adapters so that I can use my 50 amp autoformer with 30 amps.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Didn't Glenn install one?
No I didn't but CountryGuy and fulltimedreamer both have. Check them both out at the Sho and Tell page. When I get my new rig I will be looking at a permanent install. Maybe I can get it done next May in Branson..hint hint.

Back to the subject...

This is just one more reason I am glad I tore up my KOA membership card. I drive another 50 miles before I'll stay in a KOA.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I have been debating getting one for some time now. Thanks to this forum I have begun to monitor my voltages and have surge protectors all over the place. I feel much better now than what I had before.
I'm not convinced an autoformer will really help yet.
I do have it all figured as to where to put it inside my rig so it isn't visible, but I think not allowing them is showing ignorance from the campground owners.
I don't see how they could cause any damage, but electricity is not my bag...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:13 AM   #11
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Since KOA will not sign a document that they are responsible for any damage to my electrical applicances as a result of their park power and not allowing AutoFormers then I choose not to do business with them. I should not have to sneak or hide my autoformer for my protection. I do secure to from theft though.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:26 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We got the 50amp autoformer at the Elkhart CW when at the rally..499.99. Sure would like to know where to install it in the 3400 also. This sounds like a job for the Wizard of...OZZ. We are KOA members and will use them as a last resort..a very last resort because of their expense..we have been in nice ones and not so nice ones but never had a really bad experience..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:41 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Wondering aloud, before the first cup of java is finished

Wonder if there are any KOA employees that read forums like this, I don't go to that other forum, so have no idea, does KOA take a beating over there too??

I am no particular fan of Keep On Adding, but, do use them once in a while. Al and I participate in the "camp where I wanna go, take what is available near there, and hope for the best" club. Sure, we love concrete LEVEL pads, 50 Amps and free cable and free wifi (that works). But, if I want to go to ohhhh, Little Rock, and the closest campground to what I want to do, happens to be a KOA, then that is where we are headed and we deal with the conditions. In all our years of camping/rving, we have only been in one place that was so gawdawful that we almost did not make our, "I can make it in any campground for 1 night". That place was not a KOA, just for the sake of this conversation.

Anyway, wonder if KOA really cares that they are getting some rather negative press, or are times just too good??

Ohhh, yea, our autoformer is built in, done as much to save Al from hauling that monster OUT of the basement or truck bed and hooking up everytime, call it lazy, call it conserving old person's energy for other matters at hand, call it whatever. But, it is out of sight and is always "on". This works quite well for us, and as usual, what works for us, may or may not work for you.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, it would work for me, too. Now I just have to figure out how to hook it up and where to put it. I probably need to buy the kit from autoformer, huh?

We have the same philosophy in choosing rv parks. We figure out where we want to go and then look for what parks are in the vicinity. Sometimes it's a KOA although our experiences with them are pretty negative. The one at Wakeeney, KS, was an exception. We liked that one. And a little one in Hardin, MT. There was one more but I forgot where it is. Over time, these things tend to become a blur.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #15
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
We also pick a destination and then look for a campground near by. But I just want to add a few comments. On our trip out to Goshen and back we stayed mostly at KOA campgrounds because it worked out for us. We found all of them at least tolerable (even the one where Dusty got ripped off).

The worst one was in Laramie, WY. it was too cramped and too close to the interstate for us and we probably won't stay there again.

On the other hand the KOA in Kimball, Nebraska was very, very clean and the people very, very nice. The bathroom/shower room was as clean as any high end motel. We will stay there again if we are ever in the area.

The KOA in Montpelier, Idaho was also very nice, and very quiet. We stayed there both going out and coming back. On the way back I left a very expensive 50 AMP surge protector on the picnic table when we pulled out. It was at my front door via US Mail two days later. I would highly recommend that KOA campground too.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:56 AM   #16
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I think it depends on where you are. Here in the NW I would never choose a KOA for any reason. They are so overpriced compared to the many wonderful state and county parks we have. The one time we could not get in a state park because we chose a holiday weekend to go without reservations, we regretted it. We could not open our door without hitting the rig next door and we could not put out our awning. They charged $10 a night more than the state park and it was noisy. Never again.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:56 AM   #17
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I think it depends on where you are. Here in the NW I would never choose a KOA for any reason. They are so overpriced compared to the many wonderful state and county parks we have. The one time we could not get in a state park because we chose a holiday weekend to go without reservations, we regretted it. We could not open our door without hitting the rig next door and we could not put out our awning. They charged $10 a night more than the state park and it was noisy. Never again.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote