Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #21
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Get an '06 GMC Diesel 3500 Dually. Great towing, great ride and you don't have to add anything. We have the long bed so don't need the sliding hitch either. Yes it is a bit to park but I've done it and if I can do it anyone can. I can park in the handicap places which helps but otherwise park in the back of the lot and get a little exercise. We go up mountains very easy and the big rigs don't bother us.
Happy trails..................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:20 PM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Parrothead, what do those things retail for? I can't even FIND one, let alone test drive or price one.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:01 PM   #23
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Dave
I think we started at $55,000 before we started wheeling and dealing. Ours has a few extras but not many. On Star was probably the most expensive.
Happy trails....................
Old 10-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #24
Montana_4699
Established Member

M.O.C. #4699
Dick, go to www.gm.com and you can build one to your specifications, ask for dealer quotes and search their inventory. Current deals include 1.99% to 4.99% financing or $2,500 cash back on the west coast, might be different in other parts of the country.
Montana_4699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:19 PM   #25
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
3/4 ton, 1 ton,...GM,Dodge,Ford,....Diesel,Gas....lots to think about, but don't forget the four full size doors option.
Kevin and Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:23 PM   #26
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
I forgot to mention we have a crew cab. This happened to be the first '06 the dealer had received and it still had all the plastic on it. 0 miles. One reason Ed wanted the long bed is for the larger fuel tank which is something to think about when you are traveling. We try to plan a tank a day when setting up our route. That way you can get fuel solo which makes it a lot easier since some of the diesel pumps are in strange places.
Happy trails..................
Old 10-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the info, guys! Thanks to you, too, Sue. I have two questions for you Sue... 1. Does that long bed and extra gas tank (which I agree is really nice) complicate your wt ratings. I thought I read somewhere that the long bed do not quite have the GVWR the short bed has? And...

2. ... GREAT! Now I forgot! Pain meds are wearing off. Well, I'll think of it... I'll get back to you when I recall. OK, I got it (see how brave I am... could've edited this out... no self confidence problem here!) Now... before I forget again... OnStar... I would like your opinion on that... Is it a usable option?
Old 10-22-2005, 05:13 AM   #28
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Go to;
http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...seo=GOO_OnStar

And check out the options and prices. There are several levels of service. The basic one gives you emergency coverage and is of course the least expensive. What they do not tell you is there is a cell service that you also have to subscribe to in order to have the on-star plan. There is a basic plan there also based on number of minutes per month etc. I don't have the exact figures we are paying per month the wife handles that since it is her car. I know she wasn't very happy about the cost of the various plans and she ended up with the basic services.

It does provide another level of security and roadside assistance but it is something each individual needs to evaluate for their situation. The scary side is that someone can monitor your movements. Probably can no matter whether you sign up or not. I understand some law enforcement agencies and insurance agencies use the black box technology to determine your vehicles speed etc just prior to any accident. The technology is there but the actual use of it is just in the beginning stages.

Imagine every vehicle sending out a unique signal (like cell phones do). Law enforcement is chasing your car. They call dispatch and tell them to disable the vehicle directly in front of them. Or have the technology (like a Klingon tractor beam) to do it themselves. With the current technology On Star can disable your car if stolen or open your door if you are locked out. Where is it all going? Who will have control. Didn't pay your speeding ticket? They can shut down the vehicle!

Looks like we are setting things up for a whole new series of lawsuits and loss of freedoms? Or maybe, its just really neat technology that has no real negative potential?

Sorry, I just got a little carried away. Been watching to many movies.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:30 AM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Good point, Don! I must be watching the same movies.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:04 AM   #30
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Don,
You don't have to have the cell phone service to have the OnStar plans. I have used the cell phone some as it is completely hands free. It uses your radio to talk to you and there is a microphone in the vehicle that hears your voice. Our Envoy came with it plus a year free service and 30 minutes on the phone, The phone charges are expensive (35 cents per minute) so you would not want to use it as your only cell phone. I bought extra minutes for the Envoy and they transferred those unused minutes to the new truck. I look at it as a safety feature more than a toy. They know if your airbag has deployed and get help immediately. We had our little truck stolen 3 times. I hope if this truck ever gets stolen they will be able to find it quickly which was not the case with the little truck. Both of the vehicles (Brutus and the Envoy) came with it. Would I order it if placing a custom order? Probably yes. Now what was included that we have decided not to continue with is the satellite radio. $12.95 per month. We can play CD's if we can't get radio reception. The basic plan after your free year is around $17 per month for OnStar. You can get other plans that tell you where restaurants, etc. are but that seemed like something we wouldn't use that much.
Happy trails.......................
Old 10-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There are lots of good arguments whichever way you want to go.

To start my reply, I'll note a CAT scale shows our Montana weighs 14,360 lbs. We first towed it with a 1999 Ford F350 V10, one-ton. That did a great job but really sucked the fuel.

We next towed it with a 2003 F350 6.0 Powerstroke diesel, one-ton. This did a superb job.

We currently tow it with a 2005 F250 6.0 Powerstroke diesel, 3/4 ton. Yes, we went from 1 ton to 3/4 ton. I couldn't find a 1 ton with colors and equipment I liked when we purchased. They were selling too fast. I want to note, however, with the major upgrade to frame and suspension components starting with the 2005 models the Ford 3/4 ton has ratings higher than the prior year's one ton and as high or higher than most single-rear-wheel one tons on the market regardless of brand. You can get higher in the one-tons of the other brands with the right configurations.

So, when someone asks me why I 'traded down' from 1 ton to 3/4 ton I have to explain that I actually traded up to higher ratings. That said, if a 1 ton I liked had been available (Ford) I would have gone with the one ton. Don't take my Ford clarification wrong. Ford is my current preference. The other brands do a good job, too.

I am very satisfied with the single rear wheel configuration. Dually would give you more GVWR if you need that. I'm not convinced about more stability with a dually because we've never experienced instability. Other folks feel differently but that's my experience. By the way, we traded a perfectly good 2003 for the 2005 because our oldest two granddaughters grew longer legs (one was 6 foot at age 15) and the supercab configuration no longer worked for us very well. Thus we went with the crew cab this time around.

All three brands make good trucks very capable of hauling any Montana, given the right options. As for gas vs diesel, I think this comes down to not just towing but also has to figure in other factors in your life. For us, diesel is perfect. Better mileage than our V10 gasser by 40% to 50% both towing and solo. Longer longevity expectations. Higher upfront costs but the articles I've read show you pretty much get that back at tradein time so long as the vehicle is in good shape.

As for why the TV we have, all I will say in the interest of avoiding brand wars is I switched to Ford trucks in 1992 and they have been so exceptionally outstanding in both very low maintenance cost and in performing the job I bought them to do that I'll stay with them until that changes. If that changes, so will I. Keep in mind all three mfrs make trucks that do a good job towing Montanas. You can be comfortable, in my estimation, that so long as you get the diesel or the big gas engine (Ford V10, Dodge V10, or GM 8.1L V8) you'll have a good towing machine.

By the way, with diesel currently a buck more per gallon in some parts of the country the fuel mileage difference is close to eliminated. But I don't expect that differential to remain indefinitely. I hope.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:28 PM   #32
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
You will note on our signature that we are currently hooked up with a 2500HD. It did the job just fine for our Montana tow. However, the Cambridge caused us to exceed the tire rating on the truck's drive axle. We looked into the 4500 and finally ordered a new 3500 DRW. It carries the pin weight as well as the truck load.

IMO, you need to really look at the numbers or specifications. For instance most SRW one tons are speced slightly less capable than the 3/4 ton. It has to do with tire ratings and spring ratings. You need to satisfy yourself that you are within or comfortably near the ratings of the truck. It is worth agonizing over these numbers. actually, it is sort of fun if you are addicted to caffene and like to look into coffin corners.

Now to On Star. One of the main reasons ( among about ten) that I didn't spring for the 4500 was the unavailability of OnStar. We use the cell phone feature as a backup. It has never failed to provide coverage even in the most remote areas we have been in. Costs me about $50.00 per year because I only use it if my other sevice fails (frequently in the back country).

Then there is the truely neat on line diagonostic feature. Last spring we were returning to Phoenix from Parker and took a cross desert route to avoid the rally at Quartsite. There we were out in the middle of no where about fifty miles from more nowhere when the "check engine" lite came on. I called On Star and they did an engine diagnostic while I rolled on down the trail. Turns out, i had an out of spec fuel pump. They said i should get it into a dealer in the next three days. COOL. The dealer had the same report and replaced the fuel pump on warranty. I really like this feature. Our 3500 on order has the on star option. Of course, it has every other thing they offer as well. You only live once as far as I can tell....
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:09 PM   #33
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the info on OnStar, Dave! I like that "diagnostics on the fly" thing. What do you think of a 2500HD D/A CC SB with Mor/Ryde pin and air bags and SuperGlide with a 2006 3400? I understand this is only your opinion.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:52 AM   #34
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Hey, Sue, when those football games start coming on CDs then we can get rid of our satellite radio, too! Glen loves to hear sports from all over the country.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:53 AM   #35
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
All are great posts and welcome to MOC.
I have and recommend the diesel and the one ton.
I checked with and asked alot of questions before buying the truck. The 3500 handles the weight alot better and the dual wheels make a big difference in side sway etc.
If you check around as I did, I bought the 3500 at a better price than they were selling the 2500's.
More short haul and farmer/rancher types buy and use the 2500 so they were willing to come down on the 3500's. Several dealers offered the same price.
Happy camping and good luck.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #36
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have hat two diesel trucks. The first one was a 4X4 3/4 ton. It pulled our 35 foot fithwheel (not a Montana)fine. It rode like a lumber truck. So we went tow a one ton dully 4X2. The ride was much better and it pulled t5he old trailer and our Montana with ease. Both were Dodge with five speed manual transmissions. Mileage was in the 8/12 mile range. One thing I would insist on is an exhaust brake. With automatics in some rigs this is an expensive thing. WE had 107k on our one ton when we traded it for our motor home and it had half the original brake linings on it. Exhaust brakes pay for themselves in brakes and ease of going down long grades. Not recommending Dodge over any thing else. But you can not beat a Cummings.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote