Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Cambridge Update 1

We have three weeks and three thousand miles behind us in the Cambridge. It is time for a short review. I plan to do this on the forum from time to time. In addition, I am working on a comprehensive review to be posted on our website at a later date.
First, let me say we are absolutely delighted with the Cambridge. All of the “eye candy” is well worth it and we continue to be surprised by little things we never noticed before. Things like three or more light circuits in every room, drawers under the bed, excellent entertainment systems management, separate slide controls and on and on. I am even coming to appreciate the desk design. All in all, livability is outstanding.
Fit and finish are excellent throughout. The only real problem we have had was one of the plumbing support bows under the main slide was broken. Our dealer, Burnside RV in Houghton Lake MI dispatched a service tech to our campsite 120 miles away to fix it. From report to repair was only six hours.
One of my big questions was how our GMC D/A 2500 HD would handle the weight of the Cambridge. So far, we couldn’t be more pleased. We have been on flat secondary roads of the UP, through the rolling hills of Wisconsin, down I35 to Witchita, then US 54 into the headwinds of Kansas, I-40 over the mountain grades of New Mexico, Arizona and California, then up I-5 and across the mountains in Pacheko pass. We are now at Pacifica after negotiating a 19% downgrade on Manor Drive. Generally, I was locked in at 68 MPH and actually averaged near 55mph over the last 3000 miles. We achieved an average 11 mpg although it dropped to 10.3 in the Kansas headwinds.
Braking was exciting at first. I had the prodigy cranked way up. Then, after a couple of panic stops in Wisconsin, the trailer brakes began to work and the prodigy was cranked back down where it belongs. I suspect the trailer may have collected some rust in the drums while it sat on the lot in Michigan. Bottom line, I don’t think I can justify moving up to a Topkick (darn). We do have airbags on the truck. I think they are necessary with the Cambridge. Not so with the Big Sky.
There are a couple of negatives. The low clearance also shortens the travel of the front jacks. Now, I have to do a little tactical planning with the adjustable part of the jack to make sure I can level the rig and clear the hitch. BTW, the electro hydraulic jacks are awesome. Hooking and unhooking has never been easier.
The other negative is the weather pro awning. It cannot be tilted to shed rain off the side and looks a little too flimsey to be staked down for an extended stay. My impression is this device is more at home on class a motorhomes where the plan is to be on the road a lot.
Sorry about the length of this report. You can imagine what the full review will be like.

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Thank you for your posting. We sure appreciated reading all the details of your Cambridge experience. Looking forward to your upcoming posts.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
That is so awsome. So glad that you are enjoying the newest baby of the Keystone products. Aren't they lovely. And your picture is just beautiful. Happy Trails to you...Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Thank you for the report. I have been taking a hard look at the Cambridge over the past year. I find there is more and more I like each time I take a look. The only thing really holding me back is the TV in the living room is straight, not facing all the seating options. I like the 3400RL as one can view the TV from either the chairs or sofa. I do not like the way you have to pull the TV out and turn it to be able to watch a movie. If they were to fix that I would be pretty much ready to go and purchase the Cambridge. Please keep the updates coming. Enjoy the coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sounds like they take their time in building the Cambridge as after 3 weeks and 3000 miles no major problems..would it not be nice if......
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks for the update. We really liked the Cambridge but we were afraid of the extra weight. It is beautiful but we love our 3475 so much that it will be a long time before we consider trading.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Montana_4357

M.O.C. #4357
I have to agree with Montana Sky. We have looked at both Cambridge models and would have bought one already but that entertainment slide is frustrating. Here is what I mean. In the Montat 3500 or 3400 models, the desk and entertainment system are recessed about 16" in a deep slideout, adding additional room to the living area and making viewing the tv easy from all seats both couch and recliners. The Cambride uses a smaller (depth) slide and then must extend the "so called computer desk (no data port in the one we looked at and no power under in the main cabinet for a PC or wireless modem) and tv center 8 inches into the living area as a result (past the inside wall). So not only do you have less area in the living room compared to the 3400/3500 but the restricted swivel of the tv makes viweing the tv from recliner closest to the desk impossible and viewing from the other recliner very hard ie, not enjoyable (about 45+ degrees to the side). For 70K this is nuts especially when they had such an well thoughtout and implemented slide in the Montana's. Yes I know they needed a hardwood desk and entertainment center but why not mimic the success they had in hardwood? They even lost the nice movable kitchen table to a hardwod non slide unit. Another really handy thing gone in the name of hard wood.

I know I am nit picking but we spend a lot of time relaxing in front of the TV and to price a high end tv set viewable from only the couch is not acceptable. I also don't understand the loss of depth in that slide and intrusion of the unit into the living area by 8". Weight mayby?

Silly perhaps but enough to have us looking at Carriage and Newmar and others that don't make those avoidable design mistakes. Ergonomics are important!

Also cannot understand why there is no privacy curtain. All the units mentioned above do this with the same flexible slide track you can by at sears or home depot. We looked and think it's very doable on the 3400 with garden tub and Cambridge.

Other then this, very good layout and design, could use a slide seal like the Carriage, was very impressed with that. Put your fingers behind the slide seal on the Cambridge and you'll see what I mean.

Ok, did not mean to bash this unit, its great but the devil is in the details.

Keystone, how about it? fix these things and I will be the next one in line with my checkbook
Montana_4357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:22 PM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Funny,I never noticed a problem with the TV. The viewing angle is terrific due to the fact it is a modern flat screen. We do pull it out on occassion but really have no trouble viewing from anywhere in the living area.
The computer desk design takes some getting used to. I would like to see the doors on the left side redesigned to allow stowage of a printer. And, I would like to see some power outlets under the desk. I may add some after I figure out how best to optomize it.

As far as a data port, I am glad they didn't put one in. No need for "wall achne" to support something nearly as obsolete as a dodo bird. We are almost entirely wireless.

BTW, as I write this, I am at the computer desk with no wires whatever connected to the computer and watching TV off my right side.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:40 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
What a wonderful report. Thanks, I have been inside this model and I could be happy with one.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:39 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Congratulations and it sounds great!
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:57 AM   #11
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Congratulations Dave and Victoria,
I was looking at a Cambridge last weekend and noticed that it incorporates many of the suggestions we made on the Montana factory tour and to the Montana reps during the show and tell at the rally. Specifically, I love the convenience of the AC/DC and cable outlets in the storage compartment. I wonder if they had already done this or got the idea at the rally?
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good report, Dave. Thanks. Have you had opportunity to put the Cambridge on a scale loaded the way you tow it? Just curious how much more than our 14,360 it really is. I am guessing 16k-17k but really don't know. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:26 AM   #13
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Steve,
Sorry, I have not. I need to get back to flying J country wher scales are plentiful.. Anyway, we plan to return to Phoenix in next two weeks. If I havn't weighed it by then will take it to a local scales.
Dave