Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
Cable-TV-SAT

So I have my new Montana and also have cable-Internet and Cable-TV. I have theInternet working but I am not sure what to do with the other connections. The cable is coming out of the lower box on the wall in the entertainment system. The upper box is marked Cable/SAT.

So what am I missing here?

drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:38 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
If it's like mine, the outside connector is marked cable/sat [I have no outside connector for internet]. There are 2 cable connector plates [boxes] on the inside, 2 connectors on one plate [A and B] and 1 connector on the other [C]. The outside cable/sat goes to "B" [on mine] which is connected to "A" by a very short cable. "A" is connected to "C" by a cable in the wall. "C" is hooked to one side of a splitter. The other side of the splitter is connected to the inside stuff. To connect a sat dish you need to disconnect "B" and run a cable directly to your sat receiver sat input and disconnect the cable from the splitter that goes to the main tv and connect it to the tv out on the sat receiver. I think you can use cable input without any changes.

I think I got that right.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:13 AM   #3
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
What a mess. Now that I have an understanding on this wiring. What I want in the end is CABLE-TV/INTERNET.

So the cable outside is connected to the rig, then I attach a cable from
"C" to a 3 way splitter. Then Cable modem to one and the tv's to the others?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:30 AM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I can't help you there, I don't know anything about how to connect a wired internet to the cable/sat system, I use WIFI. If you're using a cable modem setup for internet/cable reception like that used in a stick home I would guess that it would be hooked up the same way.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:49 AM   #5
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
drifus - Like Skip, I think you've got it right. I haven't paid a lot of attention to it in my 04 3400, but; the digital signal for the internet rides on the same cable as the cable TV (not the satellite cable - unless you've got satellite internet service). I'd try it the way you suggested. I don't think you'd hurt anything.
Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
Montana_4765
Established Member

M.O.C. #4765
OK DRIFUS-
HERE IT IS. I HAVE THE 2006' 3500RL. IT DROVE ME CRAZY UNTIL I CALLED THE FACTORY AND GOT THE STRAIGHT SCOOP. JUST LIKE COUNTRY FOLK SAID. REMEMBER A B AND C.
A IS NORMALLY CONNECTED TO BE WITH A SMALL 5" OR SO CABLE. B IS INTERNALLY CONNECTED TO C.
C IS CONNECTED TO A SPLITTER. ONE END GOES TO THE ENTERTAINMENT CENTER FOR FM RECEPTION. THE OTHER END OF THE SPLITTER GOES TO THE TV IN THE LIVING ROOM.
C IS ALSO INTERNALLY SPLIT TO THE TV IN THE BEDROOM

IF YOU WANT TO WATCH CABLE, YOU NEED NOT DO ANYTHING WITH THE WIRING EXCEPT:
CONNECT THE WIRE OUTSIDE FROM THE POLE
GO TO THE BEDROOM AN PUSH THE BUTTON IN THE CLOSET SO THE GREEN LIGHT GOES OFF. ONLY THEN WILL YOU BE ABLE TO RECIEVE CABLE. IF THE GREEN LIGHT IS ON IT IS FOR YOUR ANTENNA CONNECTION.

IT WORKS FOR ME.

IF YOU WANT TO USE SATELITE HOWEVER THEN YOU NEED TO REWIRE THE BACK OF THE TV WALL IN THE LIVING ROOM .
I WILL ALSO EXPLAIN THAT IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.
GOOD LUCK
Montana_4765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We did not have to rewire to use satelite. It worked perfectly. It also works for cable. And cable works in the bedroom if as you say the boost light is off.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:22 PM   #8
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
OK thanks everyone, I have cable internet and cable TV (sorry if I was not clear I do not have a SAT). Now the next issue is the surround sound. I posted something earlier and did not get a response. So here goes:

TV sound works just fine, sound through the receiver only works with DVD, please tell me that the TV can be listened to in 5.1 surround...

Thanks

PS When I get the time I will take pictures of this so other can follow along.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave
Yes it can. There is a mode that allows it. It is in the directions but I know it is hard to follow. We found the clarity of the TV picture to be a little less when in surround sound, however. We have found this also with the Sony unit we put in to replace the Q unit. It is not as noticeable but it is there.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote